Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

45 minutes ago, May-Z said:

This has got me thinking about when that final cut of all traditional media and communication may happen.

All TV except sports move to on demand, YouTube/Spotify deal with all new music, radio replaced with podcasts... I'm assuming magazines and newspapers will be binned off at some point using an ecological arguement due to the amount of waste they create, and landline phones are largely dead already. 

So, will it happen? If so, how soon? Or do things like this actually stick around for longer due to older generations keeping usage rates higher?

1 HARRY'S HOUSE HARRY STYLES
2 DANCE FEVER FLORENCE & THE MACHINE
3 23 CENTRAL CEE
4 MAINSTREAM SELLOUT MACHINE GUN KELLY
5 LOVE SUX AVRIL LAVIGNE
6 ALPHA PLACE KNUCKS
7 RIBBON AROUND THE BOMB BLOSSOMS
8 DAWN FM WEEKND
9 THE OVERLOAD YARD ACT
10 AMAZING THINGS DON BROCO

That’s the 2022 top 10 cassette sales.

It ain’t my mum buying Knucks on C60.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:
3 23 CENTRAL CEE
5 LOVE SUX AVRIL LAVIGNE
6 ALPHA PLACE KNUCKS
8 DAWN FM WEEKND
9 THE OVERLOAD YARD ACT

And that's a broad cross section. Harry Styles, Central Cee, Yard Act and Don Bronco. That's not one specific audience. 

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:
3 23 CENTRAL CEE
5 LOVE SUX AVRIL LAVIGNE
6 ALPHA PLACE KNUCKS
8 DAWN FM WEEKND
9 THE OVERLOAD YARD ACT

Cadettes? Really? That's blown my mind. Is this a Stranger Things inspired hipster thing?

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Can’t see record companies wanting that to happen. Music Industry needs radio for exposure, it’s far far easier for them to plug their product if the outlets are narrowed as opposed to people having to trawl the internet for music podcasts across a ludicrous number of channels. Radio is massively important to the industry

I understand that is the situation now, but will we get to a point where YouTubers, tiktokers and the like become the avenue of most exposure instead?

If you think about how much money influencers make through followers etc, the next generation (unfortunately) will be looking to them as the guide rather than radio imo.

I mean, when I was younger, radio was how to access any new music as we didn't have Sky/MTV/Freeview. How many kids/teens use radio as their music source now?

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Somebody broke in to my car once, back in the day. 

Went through every single one of my cassettes in the glovebox.

Didn’t take a single one.

True story dat.

Had exactly the same thing except for CDs. They did take one, Interpol’s eponymous album. 

Good choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

This has got me thinking about when that final cut of all traditional media and communication may happen.

All TV except sports move to on demand, YouTube/Spotify deal with all new music, radio replaced with podcasts... I'm assuming magazines and newspapers will be binned off at some point using an ecological arguement due to the amount of waste they create, and landline phones are largely dead already. 

So, will it happen? If so, how soon? Or do things like this actually stick around for longer due to older generations keeping usage rates higher?

Sounds like some kind apocalyptic nightmare to me.  And also a good way for a tiny number of mega corporations to control and program people as well. 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I liked skinner at his peak with his footy show co hosted with baddiel but now he sounds like smug uncle Frank making witty quips and one liners that the others fall about laughing too often.

I think skinner is going the way of Jasper Carrott. Mate.

His stand up is still excellent. Seen him twice in recent years and he's still got it. Not as crude as he was in the 90s mind you! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

What would happen if a penalty shootout never ended? Like every goal is matches and every miss is matched. Will they continue throughout the night or will they take sleep breaks and and continue in the morning, what if it goes on for weeks or months or even years, will games get delayed because of this, and if this delay over lapped transfer windows, could teams sell players who are currently playing in the penalty shootout and could they buy replacements if that happens? 

it’s a slim chance but any penalty shootout could end up as an infinity shootout. It’s almost terrifying 

Similar to this. What if you’re waiting at a roundabout and traffic keeps coming on your right?  In theory, you could be there forever.

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Anyone having any issues with these new blue recycling bags? 

Yes they are utter sh*te,  we've only had it a few weeks and the velcro is going on them and spewing paper and card.  Who ever at biffa (or whatever company it is) who came up with them, is a complete tool.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Similar to this. What if you’re waiting at a roundabout and traffic keeps coming on your right?  In theory, you could be there forever.

Just keep edging out bit by bit and force them to stop. 

4 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

What would happen if a penalty shootout never ended? Like every goal is matches and every miss is matched. Will they continue throughout the night or will they take sleep breaks and and continue in the morning, what if it goes on for weeks or months or even years, will games get delayed because of this, and if this delay over lapped transfer windows, could teams sell players who are currently playing in the penalty shootout and could they buy replacements if that happens? 

it’s a slim chance but any penalty shootout could end up as an infinity shootout. It’s almost terrifying 

Matches have been postponed and picked up the day or 2 after so that's not unprecedented. Not because of shoot outs but the precedent is there regardless.

2 hours ago, May-Z said:

I understand that is the situation now, but will we get to a point where YouTubers, tiktokers and the like become the avenue of most exposure instead?

If you think about how much money influencers make through followers etc, the next generation (unfortunately) will be looking to them as the guide rather than radio imo.

I mean, when I was younger, radio was how to access any new music as we didn't have Sky/MTV/Freeview. How many kids/teens use radio as their music source now?

No, youtubers are not the answer nor are podcasters, just like radio they'd have to pay royalties to the artists publisher which would leave them very little if anything for their efforts. Youtubers and podcasters also come and go, publish at eratic times etc, thats isn't what the industry wants. The Industry works to release schedules many months in advance, years in the case of larger artists. Interviews and radio appearances are all timed to coincide and there are unwritten rules about the questions etc The Industry doesn't want to send an up and coming band round to Bill's house in Cleethorpes one day and Fergus' house down a country lane outside Dumbarton the next

As for how many kids listen to the radio, absolutely loads of them, why do you think the likes of Capital exist? Radio 1 still has 9 million listeners, 6Music has 2.5 million (and that is steadily growing, it's not that long ago it was 1 million). Even Absolute has just inder 2.5 million, Those are just some of the ones aimed at the younger end of the market or the ones that break new Music. Radio 2 (whichh does break new music but for an older audience) dwarfs them on nearly 15 million listeners. Despite what people like us who lurk on the internet think, masses of the population aren't like us and hell yes, they listen to the radio and the Music Industry wants it that way, There really isn't any point in them changing their approach to podcasters and Youtubers it would be an absolute ballache for them.

11 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

In the Nigerian league anything is possible... 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Give way? Just drive an Audi! Just pull out and the rest of the traffic has to fit in around your decisions. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, lammy123 said:

Yes they are utter sh*te,  we've only had it a few weeks and the velcro is going on them and spewing paper and card.  Who ever at biffa (or whatever company it is) who came up with them, is a complete tool.

It’s sending me around the bend . I’m usually bang on with the recycling. The first two weeks we did what they asked but our blue bags went missing so they had to replace them. There was a couple of pieces of paper in the blue bin last time out and they didn’t take the bin which is annoying , we are also without a bag again so I’ve gave up. As you say there’s usually a mess in our street once they have been and collected. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s sending me around the bend . I’m usually bang on with the recycling. The first two weeks we did what they asked but our blue bags went missing so they had to replace them. There was a couple of pieces of paper in the blue bin last time out and they didn’t take the bin which is annoying , we are also without a bag again so I’ve gave up. As you say there’s usually a mess in our street once they have been and collected. 

We used to have a blue bag for paper and cardboard, they gave up on that as a shite idea. Now we have the eminently sensible one recyclying wheelie bin and the whole lot goes in that and they sort it at the other end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

We used to have a blue bag for paper and cardboard, they gave up on that as a shite idea. Now we have the eminently sensible one recyclying wheelie bin and the whole lot goes in that and they sort it at the other end.

Well that’s how it was down here . One blue bin with all recycling in it and they sort their end. Now we have a crappy blue bag for paper and cardboard only. 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Same here in Leeds. Paper, card, tins, plastic, all in in one bin. Only downside is that they don't take glass, so I have to do regular trips to bottle banks. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â