Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

From now on, I will often wonder why you listed all of the numbers numerically but decided to type out "eight".

Because

7)

😎

9)

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

1) Doing nothing all day but listening to your own playlist is like preaching to the converted. 

When you go to a restaurant do you order something you think you'll like, or do you ask the waiter to just start bringing what they recommend, and tip extra if they stand there talking to you about the food between mouthfuls ;) 

A DJ can and should enhance your listening enjoyment. 

Nope. I have literally never thought "well that was a good song, what I want now instead of another is to listen to someone have a chat for a bit.". Not for me. Not interested.

3) they  introduce you to new tunes you've not heard before. 

4) they will remind you about tunes you've forgotten about. 

5) you will hear tunes you somehow missed. 

7) you will grow to love the odd tune you had previously written off and would ordinarily never listen to again. 

Eight) variety is the spice of life, how utterly boring to listen to the same stuff over and over. 

For all of these: so does Spotify. People don't just listen to the same 10 tracks over and over, you know, and playlists aren't always static lists of songs, I switch between 8 or so dynamic playlists based on similar things I've listened to, specific genres, or new releases.

9) you will hear snippets of random stuff, current affairs, interesting facts, background information. Essentially you will learn and grow. 

Spotify can do this as well, with some of their playlists having occasional news breaks integrated with them. I'm not interested so I don't use them, but they're there.

So, I'm not sold. If radio is your thing, cool, horses for courses and all that. I'm not listening to it though. I'm particularly anti-radio as there just aren't UK stations that cater to my kind of music. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blandy said:

Amen. I don’t want some chirpy, happy, bushy tailed character yapping about whatever. It’s iPod on shuffle in the radio alarm dock thing, which is perfect. Dunno what’s gonna play, but I know I won’t hate it and won’t have to listen to inane chat, or more news about the imminent implosion of LTUAE caused by the words removed who run the planet.

Mind you, I’m not a morning person.

Does my head in, those zany DJs who don't shut the eff up....worse still, are the sycophantic breakfast possé who laugh like hyenas at any crap joke the host makes.

Classic fm or radio 3 for me first thing in the morning. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

For all of these: so does Spotify. People don't just listen to the same 10 tracks over and over, you know, and playlists aren't always static lists of songs, I switch between 8 or so dynamic playlists based on similar things I've listened to, specific genres, or new releases.

Spotify's Algo is shit. 

For example: Talk Talk. There are two periods to Talk Talk, the early "pop" period and the later "experimental" period with one album sandwiched in the middle which sort of crosses over. I listen to the last two albums quite a bit or have done. Spotify will base playlists on this, so maybe it'll be a playlist based on Talk Talk, Slint, Godspeed You Black Emperor, you get the idea, fairly post Rock all of a sudden..."Talk Talk" (the song and early pop hit comes on), I don't even dislike it but just NOOOO!

It bases song recommendations on artists and genres but isn't able to distinguish between periods of that artist

Also Spotify's shuffling within a playlist is abysmal. I've got this massive playlist I created (well over 11 hours), press shuffle and it still seems to pick tracks from around the same 50 songs, shuffle again, its the same 50 in a different order, and repeat

Spotify also thinks because you listened to a whole song that it recommended toyou and you didn't stop playing it in under 30 seconds, that you liked it so it chucks it back at you at somepoint and then bases further tracks on that - its bollocks

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Does my head in, those zany DJs who don't shut the eff up....worse still, are the sycophantic breakfast possé who laugh like hyenas at any crap joke the host makes.

I like Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio, but his two co-hosts are about as funny as being sprayed with CS gas. 

• Like 1

Why don't companies just do the right thing and behave appropriately.

I had a flight booked and the airline changed the time by over 4 hours which completely screwed up my plans. I called and spent over an hour getting a supervisor on the phone who agreed to a refund. 3 weeks later still no refund so I'm back on the phone on hold again trying to get the $2800 back.

It adds so much stress to life dealing with these assholes.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

R3, fair enough. Classic FM is as bad as pop radio. Inane DJs who don't know what they're talking about, a playlist comprising mainly Alfie Boe and Il Divo, and endless adverts. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I like Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio, but his two co-hosts are about as funny as being sprayed with CS gas. 

I liked skinner at his peak with his footy show co hosted with baddiel but now he sounds like smug uncle Frank making witty quips and one liners that the others fall about laughing too often.

I think skinner is going the way of Jasper Carrott. Mate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

R3, fair enough. Classic FM is as bad as pop radio. Inane DJs who don't know what they're talking about, a playlist comprising mainly Alfie Boe and Il Divo, and endless adverts. 

Harrison Birtwhistle gave a great interview in the Graubniad years ago slamming classic FM for dumbing down audiences.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

True enough about classic fm, in particular the breakfast show presenter when he does his birthday dedications to the users (he calls them "sausage"), it's amusing that most of the requests are like :

"please wish our 7 Yr old Tabitha a happy birthday from mummy, daddy, sister Phoebe, brother Angus and Sebastian the labrador. Tabitha listens every day would love to hear her favourite, handel's water music, fourth movement by the czech national symphony orchestra !"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Harrison Birtwhistle gave a great interview in the Graubniad years ago slamming classic FM for dumbing down audiences.

tbh, even R3 has dumbed down - sorry, become more accessible - in recent years. But not to the level of Classic FM. 

True story: On the very first day of CFM, I tuned in with some interest. All very safe programming, wall-to-wall Vaughan Williams, but hey, to be expected, I supposed. The DJ then announced that the next track would be J S Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". What came on was something I didn't recognise, but it was a piece of rather discordant modern stuff. Clearly, he'd cued up the wrong CD. I was pleased to note that he let it play to the finish, and waited for the inevitable apology. What did he say? 'Well, there he goes - Bach, with his "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"...'. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

tbh, even R3 has dumbed down - sorry, become more accessible - in recent years. But not to the level of Classic FM. 

True story: On the very first day of CFM, I tuned in with some interest. All very safe programming, wall-to-wall Vaughan Williams, but hey, to be expected, I supposed. The DJ then announced that the next track would be J S Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". What came on was something I didn't recognise, but it was a piece of rather discordant modern stuff. Clearly, he'd cued up the wrong CD. I was pleased to note that he let it play to the finish, and waited for the inevitable apology. What did he say? 'Well, there he goes - Bach, with his "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"...'. 

I remember they would do live evening concerts sometimes featuring young artists. I was really excited when my brass quintet was invited to perform (we were all about 17 at the time.)
When we got there, we were set up to play in the middle of the office surrounded by desks full of paperwork. I remember England were playing and the staff that were still there were just watching the match in the corner and oohing and aahing even when we were playing live on the radio. The acoustics were horrible and it all felt very low budget.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

. . What did he say? 'Well, there he goes - Bach, with his "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"...'. 

Not 'arrf !

Alan_Freeman.gif

• Haha 1

What would happen if a penalty shootout never ended? Like every goal is matches and every miss is matched. Will they continue throughout the night or will they take sleep breaks and and continue in the morning, what if it goes on for weeks or months or even years, will games get delayed because of this, and if this delay over lapped transfer windows, could teams sell players who are currently playing in the penalty shootout and could they buy replacements if that happens? 

it’s a slim chance but any penalty shootout could end up as an infinity shootout. It’s almost terrifying 

• Like 1

This has got me thinking about when that final cut of all traditional media and communication may happen.

All TV except sports move to on demand, YouTube/Spotify deal with all new music, radio replaced with podcasts... I'm assuming magazines and newspapers will be binned off at some point using an ecological arguement due to the amount of waste they create, and landline phones are largely dead already. 

So, will it happen? If so, how soon? Or do things like this actually stick around for longer due to older generations keeping usage rates higher?

16 minutes ago, May-Z said:

radio replaced with podcasts

Can’t see record companies wanting that to happen. Music Industry needs radio for exposure, it’s far far easier for them to plug their product if the outlets are narrowed as opposed to people having to trawl the internet for music podcasts across a ludicrous number of channels. Radio is massively important to the industry

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â