Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why do we always talk about our car keys, when there is invariably only one key? 

Now you've started something.  I hope we don't have to lock the thread.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why do we always talk about our car keys, when there is invariably only one key? 

Does it stem from the days of yore when there was one key for the door and another for the ignition?

My motorhome has 7 keys. Which is a mare. 

I have the radio on about 8-10 hours a day. Background noise for when i'm working from home. 

Absolute 80's today. Lovely jubbly. 

I had the Gallup (I think) person around a couple of weeks ago doing the "radio listening survey". He didn't seem particularly surprised when I said he could fill in the entire listening diary with "0 hours".

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

A lot of American cars in the 70s and 80s had two keys. One opened and started everything, the other was to give to the valet when parking it. It could open the doors and start the engine, but couldn't open the locked glovebox or boot (or trunk!), so you could store your belongings safely.

One for the boring thread! :D 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Last time i was home and driving from kiddy to Bristol every day I thought I'd listen to radio x just to try and hear if there was anything new out and about*, Chris moyles is still a complete waste of time for anyone who likes music, would rather stick a podcast on 

I tried to listen to his breakfast show on X when I started WFH regularly. Lasted a couple of weeks. I find him insufferable. Mind you, most breakfast shows are like that. I like it when it gets more sedate at about 10am. I used to quite like the Jonny Vaughan drive time show though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

A lot of American cars in the 70s and 80s had two keys. One opened and started everything, the other was to give to the valet when parking it. It could open the doors and start the engine, but couldn't open the locked glovebox or boot (or trunk!), so you could store your belongings safely.

One for the boring thread! :D 

Actually, I think the valet key was a later development and not an American car feature, as the first time I saw it was my 1991 Acura (Honda's high-end brand over here).   Earlier American cars, at least GM ones, had a different key for ignition and trunk (boot).   I don't recall our 1971 Chrysler having separate keys, but I know GM cars all did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I tried to listen to his breakfast show on X when I started WFH regularly. Lasted a couple of weeks. I find him insufferable. Mind you, most breakfast shows are like that. I like it when it gets more sedate at about 10am. I used to quite like the Jonny Vaughan drive time show though. 

I listen to a norn Ireland country music station and specifically their breakfast show as it's a more sedate affair. That and having updates on the traffic on the M2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I had the Gallup (I think) person around a couple of weeks ago doing the "radio listening survey". He didn't seem particularly surprised when I said he could fill in the entire listening diary with "0 hours".

It was a few years ago, now, but I had the same, they left forms for me to fill in for each day, for a week. I did so, diligently. The chap was totally delighted with my info - lots of 6Music, bit of TMS, bit of football coverage, the odd newsy or comedy thing. All BBC. Radio on every day of the week for hours. He was so chuffed I felt quite guilty turning down the opportunity to do more of their surveys.

I’d pay the license fee for the BBC radio alone.

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

insufferable. Mind you, most breakfast shows are like that

Amen. I don’t want some chirpy, happy, bushy tailed character yapping about whatever. It’s iPod on shuffle in the radio alarm dock thing, which is perfect. Dunno what’s gonna play, but I know I won’t hate it and won’t have to listen to inane chat, or more news about the imminent implosion of LTUAE caused by the words removed who run the planet.

Mind you, I’m not a morning person.

• Like 2

I'm not joking when I say the radio at work was probably the final straw when it came to me quitting.  It was utter torture for me.  I've no doubt my taste in music would have been torture for the absolute cretins I had to work with too.  I now drive a Jamaican lad to work and he really isn't into indie so I don't force my playlists on him, I just pick one of a few radio stations and have a chat, otherwise it's Spotify all the way.

• Like 2

**** me how sad. It appears video DIDN'T kill the radio star but iTunes and Spotify did. 

1) Doing nothing all day but listening to your own playlist is like preaching to the converted. 

2) If you think the DJ is innane and boring you need to find a new radio show. A DJ can and should enhance your listening enjoyment. 

3) they  introduce you to new tunes you've not heard before. 

4) they will remind you about tunes you've forgotten about. 

5) you will hear tunes you somehow missed. 

6) you will hear tunes from before your time that you will grow to love. 

7) you will grow to love the odd tune you had previously written off and would ordinarily never listen to again. 

Eight) variety is the spice of life, how utterly boring to listen to the same stuff over and over. 

9) you will hear snippets of random stuff, current affairs, interesting facts, background information. Essentially you will learn and grow. 

10) there is probably more that others can add.  I don't understand why you would just sit all day in your own echo chamber. 

• Like 3

It's funny you say that on new music Friday! 

For me it's Jamie t and the kooks downloaded, a new podcast call star calls, a Bob marley album performed with an orchestra, new Beyonce song

That'll see me through

And most of those points you can still do with Spotify, you can actually do better with Spotify

The radio is dead to me

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

**** me how sad. It appears video DIDN'T kill the radio star but iTunes and Spotify did. 

1) Doing nothing all day but listening to your own playlist is like preaching to the converted. 

2) If you think the DJ is innane and boring you need to find a new radio show. A DJ can and should enhance your listening enjoyment. 

3) they  introduce you to new tunes you've not heard before. 

4) they will remind you about tunes you've forgotten about. 

5) you will hear tunes you somehow missed. 

6) you will hear tunes from before your time that you will grow to love. 

7) you will grow to love the odd tune you had previously written off and would ordinarily never listen to again. 

Eight) variety is the spice of life, how utterly boring to listen to the same stuff over and over. 

9) you will hear snippets of random stuff, current affairs, interesting facts, background information. Essentially you will learn and grow. 

10) there is probably more that others can add.  I don't understand why you would just sit all day in your own echo chamber. 

From now on, I will often wonder why you listed all of the numbers numerically but decided to type out "eight".

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â