Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I went to Himley Hall fireworks on Bonfire Night and my mate mentioned that Guy Fawkes got captured at a house just round the corner. I said "Nah, they actually caught him with the gunpowder in parliament, didn't they?".

A few others joined in and they couldn't believe that I didn't know Guy Fawkes was caught so close to home.

The other day I googled it and Guy Fawkes was caught red handed in parliament, it was others in his gang that were captured (and some killed) at Holbeche House in Kingswinford.

Next time I see them, I know I'll bring it up and I'll know I'll sound like a petty prick, but it's going to happen.

I'd put it in writing to them just to prove your point even more. 

Also, I would have had to google it there and then on my phone! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I went to Himley Hall fireworks on Bonfire Night and my mate mentioned that Guy Fawkes got captured at a house just round the corner. I said "Nah, they actually caught him with the gunpowder in parliament, didn't they?".

A few others joined in and they couldn't believe that I didn't know Guy Fawkes was caught so close to home.

The other day I googled it and Guy Fawkes was caught red handed in parliament, it was others in his gang that were captured (and some killed) at Holbeche House in Kingswinford.

Next time I see them, I know I'll bring it up and I'll know I'll sound like a petty prick, but it's going to happen.

I've got a mate like that , I tell him stuff and he won't have it , of course I'm above telling him to google it and check it out .... plus I know him well enough that he'll do it when he thinks I'm not looking anyway 

once it's established I'm right it sorta goes into the let's never speak of this subject again category :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

WTF did people do before mobile internet to prove a point!?

"I'm know I'm right, so you just wait...I'm gonna go to the library and get a book out on Guy Fawkes"

Yep. Exactly that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I can imagine that got used to settle a few arguments back in the day.

It still has some of the bloodstains and some brain matter on one of its corners?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If the correct name for Bombay is 'Mumbai', why isn't the Indian film industry called 'Mummywood'? 

As I understand it, (some) actual Indian people call the city Bombay? I don't think it's only known as Mumbai in India, though this is very much 3rd or 4th hand 'knowledge'. 

I once corrected a bloke running a quiz that catch the wind was by Donovan and not Dylan, the entire pub agreed with him, I lost the quiz based on that single question. Re: knowitall.

Edited by Seat68

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I once corrected a bloke running a quiz that catch the wind was by Donovan and not Dylan, the entire pub agreed with him, I lost the quiz based on that single question. Re: knowitall.

Whut??? I'd have seriously lost my shit over that. 

I joined an existing quiz team that was made up of two teachers, and two doctors. Because there was an existing strong dynamic in the group I felt I had to be quite assertive. A throw away question came up to begin a round of questions: ‘where is the national railway museum?’ They put down York. By sheer strength of character I persuaded the four of them to change it to Swindon.
We came second. Lost by a single point. I guess the team split up, because I never got any more invites.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2016 at 18:57, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

WTF did people do before mobile internet to prove a point!?

"I'm know I'm right, so you just wait...I'm gonna go to the library and get a book out on Guy Fawkes"

Microsoft Encarta disks!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Whut??? I'd have seriously lost my shit over that. 

I did, I went spare, my wife ended up siding with the pub, I was furious, predated mobile phones being everywhere. Was livid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I did, I went spare, my wife ended up siding with the pub, I was furious, predated mobile phones being everywhere. Was livid.

Oh that's one thing I absolutely hate.  Also, poorly written questions i.e. ambiguous ones that can be interpreted and therefore legitimately answered more than one way.  It's infuriating.  As the quizmaster YOU HAVE ONE JOB !!

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I joined an existing quiz team that was made up of two teachers, and two doctors. Because there was an existing strong dynamic in the group I felt I had to be quite assertive. A throw away question came up to begin a round of questions: ‘where is the national railway museum?’ They put down York. By sheer strength of character I persuaded the four of them to change it to Swindon.
We came second. Lost by a single point. I guess the team split up, because I never got any more invites.

That's brilliant :crylaugh:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Oh that's one thing I absolutely hate.  Also, poorly written questions i.e. ambiguous ones that can be interpreted and therefore legitimately answered more than one way.  It's infuriating.  As the quizmaster YOU HAVE ONE JOB !!

I find the quizmaster is usually the stupidest person in the room.  Our work one thought a Chinese gooseberry was a lychee and refused to believe us.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Oh yes. I think Tony alluded to it when talking about Mooney's Brain of Britain quiz. One of the questions was what is the busiest airport in the world? There are a number of correct answers to that based on different metrics; most people movements, most plane movements, most cargo movements, etc. There are/were (not checked recently) a number of airports who could claim that title, 

• Like 2

To be fair, our current quizmaster is a smart feller, but we have been to pubs where the hosts were real dimwits, who simply read out the questions from a sheet supplied by the brewery. If the answers on their sheet were incorrect you were snookered, as that's all they would accept. We've had loads of them - The Da Vinci Code was written by 'Dan Smith', a picture of Virginia Woolf was supposedly Florence Nightingale, and so on. Maddening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

a picture of Virginia Woolf was supposedly Florence Nightingale, and so on. Maddening. 

I've had that. There was a picture of Harry Secombe and I was delighted I could remember his name. But no, the 'correct' answer was Ronnie Barker. <_<

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â