Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I reckon I've spent upwards of twenty thousand quid on recorded music.

I think I've about 8000 cd's alone. A bunch of vinyl (but nowhere near as much as the cd's), several thousand songs on download and about 800 cassettes (remember them?).

Once I add in the 1000+ dvd's and blu-rays, I'd imagine I've spent the GDP of a small country. I wouldn't mind but most of it is crap.

Do people still actually part with the queens head for music/movies?

This question comes up regularly. I do wonder if it's a generational thing as some of you youngsters have only ever known downloads. I don't think I've ever knowingly not paid for music/movies. I guess part of that is because it's a collection, as much as something to listen to/watch. Something to hand down to my (non-existent) offspring when I shuffle off this mortal coil. Not that they'll want it, obviously. 

Yes, I buy music. Fortunately, I don't think any of it is crap.

Funny thing, when I first watched the TV programme, Life On Mars, it got me thinking which albums I could avoid buying if I had my time again.

There were quite a few.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

I only really buy vinyl these days. I stopped buying CDs a few years ago, I refuse to pay money for a hard copy if the only added bonus I'm getting over downloading it is a plastic jewel case and a one page liner, it's just laziness and penny pinching on behalf of the artist/label. If bands/labels go the extra mile and produce CDs worth buying (see Sufjan Stevens' Christmas box set) then I'll buy it because it's worth having. More labels need to take note that going the extra mile is the only thing that will sell records in an age where the music is so easily accessible for free.

There isn't a physical CD or DVD in my house. Got rid of them all, Books will probably be next.

Everything is now digital for me,usually streamed (legally) rather than owned. 

There isn't a physical CD or DVD in my house. Got rid of them all, Books will probably be next.

Everything is now digital for me,usually streamed (legally) rather than owned. 

Less stuff for your cleaner to nick.

Clever.

• Like 2

I reckon I've spent upwards of twenty thousand quid on recorded music.

you must have some collection.
2000-odd LPs, similar number of CDs, plus 45s, tapes, mp3s.
  • Like 1

I'd estimate I've spent 500% more on music than my missus knows.

The stash of stuff under the bed? The box in the garage that looks like there might be a spider? The bin bag in the attic?

Yep, all illicit music.

------

By coincidence and to illustrate: I was in Spillers Records this evening having a right old chat with the owner about where to start a Johnny Cash collection (she's a bit of an enthusiast). We were both mid ramble when my missus walked in (hunting me down as I'd promised to pay for pizza). 

I said (slightly too loudly) "I've never been in this shop before"

and fair play to Ashley the owner she said (in the same awkward loud style) "I do not know this man and have never seen him before"

my how we laughed

• Like 1

I'd estimate I've spent 500% more on music than my missus knows.

The stash of stuff under the bed? The box in the garage that looks like there might be a spider? The bin bag in the attic?

Yep, all illicit music.

------

By coincidence and to illustrate: I was in Spillers Records this evening having a right old chat with the owner about where to start a Johnny Cash collection (she's a bit of an enthusiast). We were both mid ramble when my missus walked in (hunting me down as I'd promised to pay for pizza).

I said (slightly too loudly) "I've never been in this shop before"

and fair play to Ashley the owner she said (in the same awkward loud style) "I do not know this man and have never seen him before"

my how we laughed

Been there, done that. There was a great phone-in years ago on Danny Baker's radio show, where he and the caller chatted about smuggling CDs past their wives - leave them in the car until she's in the bath, etc. I happened to tape it, and put it on my 40th (and subsequently) 60th birthday party music tape. I don't think she noticed...
  • Like 1

I don't get buying CD's and DVD's (especially the latter).

You buy it, watch it, then pop it on a shelf for 50 years. You can't sell them as they are worth naff all second hand.

Nah, don't see the attraction at all.

I don't get buying CD's and DVD's (especially the latter).

You buy it, watch it, then pop it on a shelf for 50 years. You can't sell them as they are worth naff all second hand.

Nah, don't see the attraction at all.

I watched the exorcist on DVD the other week, probably about the 20th time I've watched it since I've bought it, I always watch DVD's so I can get why people buy them

CD's I don't understand, the last 3 or 4 cCD's I bought were probably 2 or 3 years ago (maybe more) (sorry Donnie) I buy them put them on my Ipod and don't touch them again, I literally bought them and gave them away the next day because I would never take it out of the case

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â