Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

ISIS > Kanye West > Kanye West fans

When Stevo read this post...

zwIIBS8.gif

Below is how VillaTalk forms its opinion on music:

Would more than 1% of people on the street have heard of this artist?

Yes - utter shite. Bollocks. Worst music ever.

No - AMAZING. Genius. Best music ever.

So I expect nothing less. Music can't be good if its remotely popular.

But by definition, anyone who claims to be a connoisseur of anything, must establish their credentials by eschewing the popular and declaring a preference for what most people can't stand.

It's the law.

Literati - Finnegans Wake

Classical music buff - Beethoven's late quartets, Stockhausen

Booze - Bruichladdich Octomore, mezcal with dead insect larva 

Epicurean - Casu Marzu, kopi luwak

Pop music - The Fall

By definition it is impossible to be considered a connoisseur, if someone never shows any discernment.

In a world of mass marketing, mass consumption, and crushing conformity, you can't blame anyone for trying to stake a claim for a modicum of authenticity by eschewing the popular and embracing the arcane.

But things used to be far worse - back in the day, guys used to advertise their elitist taste by walking the streets with a trendy album stuck under their arm and a trendy novel in the pocket of their RAF great coat or combat jacket.

These days hipsters excuse themselves for doing the same by pretending they are being ironic.

The Greeks have to take the blame for our culture's obsession with individualism, capitalism must be praised for serving that need.  :)

Edited by blandy
mod tidy
  • Like 2

I don't get the back lash against people who have gone and sort out an alternative to music that's in the charts. I also don't get why people would think because it's obscure, it would be better. I've heard plenty of obscure music that is dog shit, and I've heard plenty of smash hits that are amazing. I've been told on more than one occasion some of the music I listen to is shit. At times like that, I'm just glad I have the tastes I do, and feel privileged to be able to enjoy it while others can't.

Egg-zackly

But by definition, anyone who claims to be a connoisseur of anything, must establish their credentials by eschewing the popular and declaring a preference for what most people can't stand.

It's the law.

Literati - Finnegans Wake

Classical music buff - Beethoven's late quartets, Stockhausen

Booze - Bruichladdich Octomore, mezcal with dead insect larva

Epicurean - Casu Marzu, kopi luwak

Pop music - The Fall

By definition it is impossible to be considered a connoisseur, if someone never shows any discernment.

In a world of mass marketing, mass consumption, and crushing conformity, you can't blame anyone for trying to stake a claim for a modicum of authenticity by eschewing the popular and embracing the arcane.

But things used to be far worse - back in the day, guys used to advertise their elitist taste by walking the streets with a trendy album stuck under their arm and a trendy novel in the pocket of their RAF great coat or combat jacket.

These days hipsters excuse themselves for doing the same by pretending they are being ironic.

The Greeks have to take the blame for our culture's obsession with individualism, capitalism must be praised for serving that need. :)

God, it must take you forever to post having to scour your Thesaurus every five seconds. Edited by Ginko

A half-formed idea but,

The idea of commercial success is a relatively recent development for music (and all forms of art), it's purpose is to elicit a certain reaction in the listener and to give the artist a vehicle for personal expression. To try and measure that response amongst individuals is impossible because it's totally subjective. Someone might associate a Lady Sovereign track with the first time they fell in love or lost a relative. Every time they hear that particular song it will have a much more profound effect on them than when they listen to one of the "greats", so arguably Lady Sovereign becomes the greatest artist of all time for that person. Now, obviously she isn't, but does anyone really have the right to criticise the listener for having a deep-seated personal response to her song? Equally when I was a teenager I knew a lot of musos who only listened to prog rock, Joe Satriani and classical music who would spend years perfecting a 12 minute epic, only for it to end up sounding totally passionless and soulless. In their obsession for reaching technical perfection, they'd produced the musical equivalent of a thesaurus. Any criticism was invalidated on the grounds that they knew notes and had fast fretwork coming out of their arses, so therefore they were objectively better than anyone else.

Just typed a massive block about the changing attitudes to music tribalism and the influence of the ipod before realising I'm off in a massive tangent. Need more coffee.

Went to a university with a very nice (and very pretty) Pakistani girl who was really into urban music.

She gave herself a street name, Lady Krucial. She didn't even sing or anything! I couldn't help but hate her a little bit for that.

• Like 1

If you pretend to be into a band just because they are 'obscure' and a little off-the-beaten track then you are a far, far bigger word removed in my eyes than someone who genuinely enjoys mainstream chart music.

Personally I couldn't give a **** about where is comes from, or if it's popular, if it floats your boat then so be it.

100% this. I've met so many arsehole pretentious phonies that only like obscure music because it's obscure. I hate people like that.

• Like 1

If you pretend to be into a band just because they are 'obscure' and a little off-the-beaten track then you are a far, far bigger word removed in my eyes than someone who genuinely enjoys mainstream chart music.

Personally I couldn't give a **** about where is comes from, or if it's popular, if it floats your boat then so be it.

100% this. I've met so many arsehole pretentious phonies that only like obscure music because it's obscure. I hate people like that.

I think the unfortunate effect of that sort of wanky behaviour is that people who are genuinely into certain non-mainstream bands/genres can be labelled as 'pretentious'. Even when their reasons for liking the bands are musical and nowt to do with how many people have heard of them.

I've had the same conversation many times about movies too.

• Like 1

I must admit, it's sometimes good to get back in touch with my rebellious teen self, listening to Nevermind at full blast, and knowing full well that my Mom and Dad would be hating every second of it. I still enjoy annoying and confusing people with music I know they can't possibly comprehend.

I only like bands which hand craft their own vinyl records.

Pfft, I'm still on shellac.

Sack that off, and start listening to Big Black instead. Steve Albini sold out when he started Shellac. ;)

• Like 2

Went to a university with a very nice (and very pretty) Pakistani girl who was really into urban music.

She gave herself a street name, Lady Krucial. She didn't even sing or anything! I couldn't help but hate her a little bit for that.

DHUTWU then run.  Very far.

..by definition, anyone who claims to be a connoisseur of anything, must establish their credentials by eschewing the popular and declaring a preference for what most people can't stand.

It's the law.

Pop music - The Fall

I'm not a connoisseur of anything, but I know what I like, and I like the Fall a very great deal (well 90% of their stuff, the other 10% is awful). Most other people I know who like the Fall's music are the same as me - they like it because they like it, not because it's some sign of any discernement.

I sometimes wonder why it is that I like it so much. It's like a drug. Sometimes it's only the Fall that hits the spot.

• Like 2

DHUTWU then run. Very far.

Nah, she had a major thing for black (or brown, 8pints) (Soz-ard Don) guys. I didn't stand a chance.

• Like 1

..by definition, anyone who claims to be a connoisseur of anything, must establish their credentials by eschewing the popular and declaring a preference for what most people can't stand.

It's the law.

Pop music - The Fall

I'm not a connoisseur of anything, but I know what I like, and I like the Fall a very great deal (well 90% of their stuff, the other 10% is awful). Most other people I know who like the Fall's music are the same as me - they like it because they like it, not because it's some sign of any discernement.

I sometimes wonder why it is that I like it so much. It's like a drug. Sometimes it's only the Fall that hits the spot.

A Fall song a day, keeps Bieber away.

My taste in music is very good.

Though I do truly have to wonder about some other people. Somebody broke into my car once, went through all my music, leaving it all discarded in the passenger footwell. Didn't take a single damn thing.

In its own way, it was quite a slap down.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â