Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

No offence to hendrix because he was great, but I find him a tad overrated in the sense that he only employed one style. Am I wrong?

Yes, very wrong.
  • Like 2

best DRUM solo?

Ringo Starr, in the medley at the end of side two of Abbey Road. 

All other drum solos are horrible. 

Is that the one at the end of the Golden Slumbers medley?

That is my favourite drum-solo of all time.

My view has always been that the bigger the drum kit the more tedious the drummer: like so-called shredding on a guitar, at some point it just stops being musical.

Bonham's solo on Moby Dick always sounds like a man building a shed.

Jazz drummers are always much better.

Fair enough, I do like him a lot. In what way would you say I'm wrong?

He was much more than just a "pyrotechnic soloing" guitar hero type. He was a incredible rhythm guitarist with impeccable taste, also a really original songwriter- "Castles Made of Sand", "Are You Experienced", "The Wind Cries Mary" just to name a few. He made his name of course with his outlandish stage act and obviously sensational soling ability.

• Like 1

Bonhams moby dick is boring, bill ward is a very jazzy drummer, but he can't hold a drum improvisation down. His drumming on songs are quality though.

Yeah, I always thought Bonzo was overrated. Keith Moon is 20 times better, in my opinion. Bonham was a big basher, and not much more.

I think Eddie Van Halen gets painted with a similar brush as Hendrix. A lot of people think he's all flare and fireworks and "Look at me" style soloing. But Eddie was a genius at rhythm playing too. 

Edited by maqroll

This conversation reminds me of being 15 and getting into rather heated and violent debates about guitarists.

The most heated was around Eric Clapton. I can't stand Clapton, and his most ardent followers were particularly up in arms over a comment I made which was along the lines of 'George Harrison was better'.

I don't think bonham is overrated but I think there was better drummers, moon is my favourite drummer and he was one of the greats. But he lost his ability as the years went on for obvious reasons. Paice is superb, very technical.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

I'm not slating him as a guitarist because he is one of the greats, but everyone guitar poll you see have him as number one. That's why I say he's a tad overrated, I rate blackmore better.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal taste and preference, as it should. 

Re: Hendrix. I'm not going to stick a load of YouTube links in, because ICBA. 

But listen to: 

Red House (slow electric blues)

Hear My Train a-Comin' (acoustic blues) 

Little Wing (delicate touch, beautiful) 

Purple Haze (metal riffery) 

All Along the Watchtower (great rhythm acoustic, plus three consecutive different style solos - regular + pseudo steel + wah wah) 

Johnny B. Goode, Come On, etc. - pure rock'n'roll fun 

Various tracks on Electric Ladyland explore electronic sound effects that don't even sound like guitars. 

Some of his playing on the posthumous 'Cry of Love' is beautifully understated. Band of Gypsies is different again, using soul/funk styles. And so on. 

He used a trio format a lot, which perhaps helped to cement the idea that it was all samey, but when he died he was talking about his plans to use more jazz and classical influences, and work with bigger bands. Sadly we never got to hear it.

TBH I don't listen to Hendrix that often these days (like I don't with The Beatles), but for guitar he was peerless. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

best DRUM solo?

Ringo Starr, in the medley at the end of side two of Abbey Road. 

All other drum solos are horrible. 

Is that the one at the end of the Golden Slumbers medley?

That is my favourite drum-solo of all time.

Exactly that, yes. Fits the song. 

Why do people turn to religions that offer strict codes of behaviour when they could turn to some crazy sexytime religions of old? I mean, why do the whole sit in a church and listen to an old man drone on when you could take part in a bacchanal?

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

The solo in stairway to heaven or the eagles hotel california?

I love both, but Hotel California for me. I remember a while back they had that two-part documentary on the Eagles and they showed some old tour footage throughout. Seeing Felder an Walsh going back and forth in that solo and the twinning up at the end was brilliant.

I switch off the radio if I hear hotel California , probably American Pie is the only song that can top it in the boredom stakes
  • Like 2

Fair enough, different strokes. It's one of my personal favourites, though I share your opinion of American Pie.

Edited by Ginko

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â