Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

21 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't get the delusional sense of taste that seems to take hold of people when they cook something and post the photos on social media, and yet entirely miss the fact that it looks like ... well, a dog's chunder. A distant friend of mine posted this today to celebrate his newfound love of cooking -- and that's lovely, I know, who would knock that? -- but this photo, well, it's repulsive to me. Don't others see this? Maybe all sort of single-guy-at-home "risottos" look this way?

YUK.jpg

Risotto doesn't photograph well but broccoli, WTF?

And is that a plastic utensil?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Risotto doesn't photograph well but broccoli, WTF?

And is that a plastic utensil?

Paper plate as well. 

16 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Why people have private plates on their cars that make them look massive dickrubbers.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

tragically single person

I think they're quite tacky

Forever-alone-meme-face-7g7p6o0mukxe9jnd

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Why people have private plates on their cars that make them look massive dickrubbers.

For instance tonight, M42 going north arpund junction 5 or 6, some asswipe in a Merc with the reg MR 13 DRR.

Looks quite normal you say.

Until that someone has plates made in a totally illegal font, and illegally spaces the numbers and letters so it reads "MR BOSS".

What a word removed. Feel sorry for anyone who works for him.

If it was my boss he'd have to piss taken unmercifully, forever.

I think my first posting in the original (now defunct) Piss You Off thread was about this. It's a bit delicate, as my best mate and his wife both have personalised plates, so I never mention it in their company. And I'm sure lots of perfectly splendid VTers have them too. But to me, they scream 'clearing in the woods'. Like @Davkaus, if I was given one I'd immediately sell it. Like you say, the ones that have been 'customised' with rusty rivets and illegal fonts are even worse. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was once gifted a private reg plate, that ended with CAT. Because I like cats, but I'm not the kind of tragically single person destined to die alone and be eaten by their cats that this suggests. At no point in my life have I ever expressed an interest in a personalised plate. Both because  I think they're quite tacky, but also, if you're going to get one, it's a very public thing, so you want it to be something you choose, right? It'd be like gifting someone not just a voucher to a tattoo artist but "i've paid for you to have this specific design tattooed on your body". It's a **** awful gift. So who would gift one to me?

My parents. My **** parents. They know me so little that they think I'd like a private reg plate that declares I'm a cat man. Like, **** why?

My lack of gratitude in declining to put that on my car still gets brought up every Christmas.

My mate has a private plate ending in Cat. He sells diggers. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My mate has a private plate ending in Cat. He sells diggers. 

Does he have a second car he needs a plate for?

• Haha 1

I always remember a big car crash outside our office on Suffolk Street Queensway. Some sporty Merc had absolutely smashed the shit out of another car, the woman inside was badly injured and trapped, had to be cut out. 

Merc totally hit it with its front bumper and must had been going at massive speed to cause so much damage. 

The registration on the Merc was (obviously doctored) ROBB EM. 

I'd place my house and my parents house that the driver was indeed a gigantic word removed. 

If you could go back knowing what you do now, and advise your 16yo self on what career path to take, what would it be? 

Much different to how it is now?

9 hours ago, Xela said:

If you could go back knowing what you do now, and advise your 16yo self on what career path to take, what would it be? 

People who are unhappy with their current situation will probably advise doing something different. 

The happy ones will say do it the same way again. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Xela said:

Get every scrap of money you can. Beg, borrow, steal, sell all your shit. Try and get a bank loan. Everything you can and drop it all on Coventry to win the 1987 FA Cup. 

He'd probably think me insane but he'd get it eventually. 

Edited by sidcow

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

People who are unhappy with their current situation will probably advise doing something different. 

The happy ones will say do it the same way again. 

I'm not unhappy about the situation I'm in now, I just wish I'd taken more risks when younger. Perhaps moved into an area of finance that meant I could have worked abroad for a while... somewhere like HK, Singapore, NYC, etc. I should have give London a try in my early 20s, when a mate moved down there to join Credit Suisse. 

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not unhappy about the situation I'm in now, I just wish I'd taken more risks when younger. Perhaps moved into an area of finance that meant I could have worked abroad for a while... somewhere like HK, Singapore, NYC, etc. I should have give London a try in my early 20s, when a mate moved down there to join Credit Suisse. 

As a kid, late teens early 20’s, I had two strong offers of jobs in London. One on the management team of a good famous hotel, one for a chandlers merchant on the side of the Thames. I bottled both offers, at that age I personally wasn’t cocky enough or street wise enough.

It might be that it would have made me. Made me wealthy, got me into London, used it as a stepping stone to who knows what. It might also have eaten me alive, made me poor, bitter, divorced, trapped.

Whatever, I’m a very lucky boy, I can sit on the beach skimming stones, and I have the income to buy a coffee and a pastry whenever I fancy. It can be more about mindset than right or wrong choices. .

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xela said:

How old are you mate? I get the impression maybe late 30s/early 40s. It is not too late is it to maybe do those things you've mentioned.

To answer your question from a personal perspective I honestly don't know what I'd do other than listing unrealistic jobs that I'd never have been capable of anyway ie footballer. What I would say is over the years I've known people who have all sorts of different careers and the overwhelming majority don't particularly enjoy their job and are like me in that my job doesn't define me/form my identity it is just a means to be able to have lived the life I have wanted to - raise a family, have a decent house/car, be able to travel etc. 
Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

My gran died about 10 year's ago and left £250 to each grandchild (bulk of estate went to her kid's). I spent mine on something to remember her by and bought a lovely antique wooden chair (farmhouse/captain style) that I use every time I sit at the dining table and think of her.

However, I was considering spending that money on Bitcoin and if I had it would have been worth a fortune today (ignoring that I'd have probably sold it 9 year's ago and thought it a success). 

I'm very happy where I am now and I love that chair, but I think it's human to look back, romanticise and wonder what if?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As a kid, late teens early 20’s, I had two strong offers of jobs in London. One on the management team of a good famous hotel, one for a chandlers merchant on the side of the Thames. I bottled both offers, at that age I personally wasn’t cocky enough or street wise enough.

That was exactly my feelings at the time. At 23, I was no way savvy/brave/wise enough to move to London and live away from my family and friends etc, and move into a houseshare. Far too scary and big of a step for me.  

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

How old you mate? I get the impression maybe late 30s/early 40s. It is not too late is it to maybe do those things you've mentioned.

To answer your question from a personal perspective I honestly don't know what I'd do other than listing unrealistic jobs that I'd never have been capable of anyway ie footballer. What I would say is over the years I've known people who have all sorts of different careers and the overwhelming majority don't particularly enjoy their job and are like me in that my job doesn't define me/form my identity it is just a means to be able to have lived the life I have wanted to - raise a family, have a decent house/car, be able to travel etc. 

45 later this month! I think my time for relocation has passed now mate. I'm not unhappy with my situation now, I just wish in hindsight that the journey to today was a bit more exciting :) 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â