Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s another thing I wonder, on the subject of canoes, why do so many people mispronounce volcanoes?

Not that this answers your question but volcanoes are named after the island of Vulcano off Sicily (yes it’s a volcano) and Vulcano got it’s name because them Romans (what did they ever do for us) thought the island was the chimney of Vulcan's forge. Vulcan being the Roman God of fire who was often depicted as a blacksmith. The Greeks had a similar theory about it being a forge of the Gods too but it was the Roman name that stuck

I have a photo of it, I think it may be this one. By far the least impressive volcano in that group of islands

IMG_2110.jpeg

• Like 1

I recently showcased to my daughter the trick of throwing an invisible coin into an empty crisp packet and hearing the thud of the coin as it lands in the packet (psssst -you know - by flicking the back of the bag with my finger to create the sound of a coin landing in it).

Parental advice on life, I’m sketchy on. Playground cheap tricks involving crisp packets, I’m on more solid ground. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I recently showcased to my daughter the trick of throwing an invisible coin into an empty crisp packet and hearing the thud of the coin as it lands in the packet (psssst -you know - by flicking the back of the bag with my finger to create the sound of a coin landing in it).

Parental advice on life, I’m sketchy on. Playground cheap tricks involving crisp packets, I’m on more solid ground. 

I was skim reading and got "Sketchy.....Playground.....Cheap Tricks."

I was worried for a minute!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Who was the first person to fold an empty packet of crisps into a triangle?

And how did he manage to establish an exclusively British cult that includes a number of people who otherwise seem reasonably normal apart from their Aston Villa obsession.

I'm still staggered that @sidcow and @Designer1 were unaware of the the 'folding crisp packets into triangles' thing. 

It's been happening in every pub in the land, pretty much since crisps were invented. Look on any un-cleared pub table, and there's a better than 50% chance you'll see one next to the empty glasses. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm still staggered that @sidcow and @Designer1 were unaware of the the 'folding crisp packets into triangles' thing. 

It's been happening in every pub in the land, pretty much since crisps were invented. Look on any un-cleared pub table, and there's a better than 50% chance you'll see one next to the empty glasses. 

Add me to that list. Genuinely never heard of it. My gast is flabbered. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Asked my son about it. He'd no idea either. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've not seen the crisp packet thing in years, but it's one of those things I assumed every young lad learns, like the cool S. 

My turn, now. What's the cool S? 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My turn, now. What's the cool S? 

Somehow, this thing just became a go to graffiti and doodle in school books some time in the 70s.

Not just in the UK either, America, Australia, Egypt, Brazil, every kid since the 70s seems to have drawn or seen the Cool S.

bryan's blog: How to draw the "cool S"

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, Davkaus said:

Somehow, this thing just became a go to graffiti and doodle in school books some time in the 70s.

Not just in the UK either, America, Australia, Egypt, Brazil, every kid since the 70s seems to have drawn or seen the Cool S.

That's an eight, not an S. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Yep, again I am completely in the dark. And I am a child of the 70's/80's

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yep, again I am completely in the dark. And I am a child of the 70's/80's

Yep, 70s kid here and never seen that as a doodle.

• Like 1

Me neither. 

I remember white dog poo and Aztec chocolate bars though.

Who remembers when Curly Wurlys were the length of your arm?

peter-kay-turn.gif

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â