Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Can't work this out: Solihull is what in American? Is Solihull like Staten Island? Sunnyside Queens? Silver Springs, Maryland? Paris, Texas 😉 ? Not sure I have a fix on this place.

More like New Jersey in that it’s a separate town with its own local government but it runs directly into Birmingham with no real space between them, culturally very similar.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

More like New Jersey in that it’s a separate town with its own local government but it runs directly into Birmingham with no real space between them, culturally very similar.

It is working-class? Upper middle? Middle-middle? I gather it's not full of bohemians and edgy art galleries?

17 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It is working-class? Upper middle? Middle-middle? I gather it's not full of bohemians and edgy art galleries?

Bit of everything but it likes to think it’s affluent but it includes Chelmsley Wood which is as rough as a badgers arse

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Can't work this out: Solihull is what in American? Is Solihull like Staten Island? Sunnyside Queens? Silver Springs, Maryland? Paris, Texas 😉 ? Not sure I have a fix on this place.

Solihull is **** ace. That is all. 

• Like 1

Solihull is working class.

There are a couple of middle to upper class parts of it, but the majority is working class.

Everyone thinks it's posh, believe me the town centre is as un-posh as most town centres

On 14/06/2023 at 11:55, sidcow said:

Anyone ever heard a frog "ribbit"?

Another Hollywood invention.  I've seen Hollywood things based in The UK where you hear ribbiting at night when they go into countryside at night. 

Not really in the UK but stayed in Sarasota once in August which must be the frog mating season or something. The noise at night was quite something!

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Solihull is working class.

There are a couple of middle to upper class parts of it, but the majority is working class.

Everyone thinks it's posh, believe me the town centre is as un-posh as most town centres

Steady on.

On 14/06/2023 at 11:55, sidcow said:

Anyone ever heard a frog "ribbit"?

Another Hollywood invention.  I've seen Hollywood things based in The UK where you hear ribbiting at night when they go into countryside at night. 

On 14/06/2023 at 12:06, BOF said:

Another QI thing. IIRC there's only 1 species of frog that ribbits.

Correct. And it’s a species that is native to California so when Hollywood types needed a frog noise, the one they recorded made a ribbit noise. 

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Are they mostly Labour or Conservative?

Sprinkling of all flavours really.

Ive a bona fide pervert Tory representing me.  But there is a strong Green and Lib Dem presence too. I'm expecting my ward to go lib dem next year. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/06/2023 at 12:44, Mark Albrighton said:

I have mentioned this before but one that stands out for me - and I’m thinking particularly in westerns - a character walks into a bar, they order and receive a drink, no money changes hands. The bartender never seems interested in asking for it, doesn’t offer to set up a tab, nothing. Maybe the idea is that the bartender is just content to get through the day without being shot.

I assume it’s just out of dramatic convenience, I imagine the The Man With No Name would lose a fair amount of his mysterious tough persona if he orders a bourbon and then has to fumble around for the right change because he doesn’t want to break a note/gold bar.

On 14/06/2023 at 12:57, Seat68 said:

I see them toss coins on the bar "2 bits" whatever that is. 

Magnificent Seven is on BBC 4 (the proper version not that Japanese knock off).

Yul Brynner just paid for the drinks by tossing a coin on the bar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Magnificent Seven is on BBC 4 (the proper version not that Japanese knock off).

Yul Brynner just paid for the drinks by tossing a coin on the bar.

Haha, I've just been playing my Morriconne Westerns album without realising :D 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Are they mostly Labour or Conservative?

The most pressing question is are they mostly Villa or Blues and I'd day it's an unfortunate hotbed of the latter.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Haha, I've just been playing my Morriconne Westerns album without realising :D 

When it comes to western movie music, I have equal admiration for all the 'big three':  Ennio Morricone, Elmer Bernstein and Dimitri Tiompkin. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â