Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Sometimes I’ll walk past a fish & chip shop and the smell immediately evokes a memory of fish & chips at the seaside. I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s unmistakably the smell of the chip shop at seaside. 

Other times I’ll walk past, even the same shop, and the smell doesn’t do that. It just smells like fish and chips. 

Does anyone else have that? What’s going on there? Is it that they just happen to be cooking with more salt or something when I walk past in the first instance? Or is it me that’s different and the fish & chips are the constant?

I agree with @bickster.  It's always just fish and chips, you're probably in a different mood.

Fish and Chips DOES always seem better at the seaside.  No reason really why they should but they just do.  Then again there is a chippy in Falmouth called Harbour Lights that does the best chips ever and it does not belong to Ripoff Stein.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Might be a slight correlation between the ozone smell at the seaside, and a particular non brewed condiment? Maybe?

They do have different smells, those nbc’s you think are vinegar.

I think it's the smell of inflated prices :D 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

If it was a tourist tax, Blackpool wouldn't be a shithole :D 

I haven’t been to Blackpool in close on half a century. We ended up there once, as kids, and my brother had to go to hospital for randomly getting a ball of silver foil stuck up his nose.

I would imagine that was a bit of a one off for Blackpool, somebody ending up in A&E after a silver foil based incident.

• Haha 1

On 11/01/2023 at 14:26, Mark Albrighton said:

I have a couple of hip flasks given to me as a thank you wedding present from the groom(s). Not once have I used them.

I assume other people receive gifts like this at weddings. Do these hip flasks ever get used? 

I kinda like the idea of them, I have this romanticised idea of hiking somewhere, big stick in hand acting as a staff, reaching the summit and then out comes the flask for a dram and toast in the scenery. A bit like that Friedrich painting, but up the Wrekin.

But they always seem slightly too bulky to carry around, which to my mind kinda defeats the purpose. I have a cylindrical flask which is nice to look at but doesn’t seem very practical to carry around on my person.

Maybe they thought you were getting on a bit and decided you might need a a replacement hip flask

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Might be a slight correlation between the ozone smell at the seaside, and a particular non brewed condiment? Maybe?

Does rotting vegetable matter smell of ozone?

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Some good photos of Blackpool here

http://www.dougiewallace.com/blackpool

Ciick on the show thumbnails bottom right and enjoy

Oh, NSFW

Some other good sets as well (Soho and Shoreditch)

That is brilliant. Funny thing is nearly all the Hen doos have at least 1 really fit bird amongst all the rough looking others. But you can bet your bottom dollar she's probably the roughest of the lot. 

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Sometimes the smell of drains when accompanied by hot weather, despite being a bad smell gives me some positive nostalgia and reminds me of being on holiday.

My memories of holidays in France have a distinctive 'smelltrack' of garlic, Gauloises and drains. And it's a fond nostalgia, oddly enough. Why do French drains smell so instantly recognisable, and different (albeit still bad) to British ones? 

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Sometimes I’ll walk past a fish & chip shop and the smell immediately evokes a memory of fish & chips at the seaside. I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s unmistakably the smell of the chip shop at seaside. 

Other times I’ll walk past, even the same shop, and the smell doesn’t do that. It just smells like fish and chips. 

Does anyone else have that? What’s going on there? Is it that they just happen to be cooking with more salt or something when I walk past in the first instance? Or is it me that’s different and the fish & chips are the constant?

It might be the weather?  The smell is different in hot dry weather than in cooler, damper weather. I don't think you're that different 😃.

• Like 1

I Wonder when beards will next go out of fashion? 

They were big (metaphorically and literally) in Victorian times, but seemed to disappear after the First World War. They then stayed resolutely out of fashion for the next fifty years or so. I remember as a kid in the early 60s seeing only the very occasional bloke with a beard, and thinking how eccentric they were. The vast majority of men stayed clean-shaven (some middle-aged ones might have neat moustaches). Then in the late 60s/early 70s beards were briefly cool again among the hippy generation. My Dad had a heavy five o'clock shadow, but couldn't bring himself to let it grow, as when he was a young man (he was born in 1903), only old men had beards. 

This phase didn't last long, as the late 70s punks, neo-mods and new romantics despised the beard - I remember Paul Weller saying that he wouldn't listen to any music made by men with beards (although he later changed his tune). 

And so it remained until the rise of the hipster, and the return of the Victorian full set. This so far shows no sign of stopping, and men of all ages have hairy faces. 

But it can't last forever. Sooner or later beards are going to become old hat and uncool. I wonder when? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I Wonder when beards will next go out of fashion? 

They were big (metaphorically and literally) in Victorian times, but seemed to disappear after the First World War. They then stayed resolutely out of fashion for the next fifty years or so. I remember as a kid in the early 60s seeing only the very occasional bloke with a beard, and thinking how eccentric they were. The vast majority of men stayed clean-shaven (some middle-aged ones might have neat moustaches). Then in the late 60s/early 70s beards were briefly cool again among the hippy generation. My Dad had a heavy five o'clock shadow, but couldn't bring himself to let it grow, as when he was a young man (he was born in 1903), only old men had beards. 

This phase didn't last long, as the late 70s punks, neo-mods and new romantics despised the beard - I remember Paul Weller saying that he wouldn't listen to any music made by men with beards (although he later changed his tune). 

And so it remained until the rise of the hipster, and the return of the Victorian full set. This so far shows no sign of stopping, and men of all ages have hairy faces. 

But it can't last forever. Sooner or later beards are going to become old hat and uncool. I wonder when? 

I've only shaved once, maybe twice a week for the last 20 years, so I'm in an almost constant state of stubble of differing lengths.

I hope hairy faces never go out of fashion because I hate shaving and I hate how I look clean shaven!

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â