Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I wonder why medicine has such long unpronuncible names.

I mean,we have Pepsi,Steak,Showers,Ford,etc but medicine has Poxialivets,rshamenes and other silly names. ( those names are NOT real medicines ) at least,I dont think so.

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

How often modern medicine has saved my life. 

By that I mean things which I've suffered (injuries or illness) that are relatively minor nowadays but would have likely killed me a few hundred years ago. 

Could I have survived a broken collarbone, a hernia or bronchitis as a baby? Possibly not. 

My son was born via C-section and my wife needed post natal care as she'd lost too much blood, would he and his mum survived labour without modern medicine (probably not)? 

Makes me realise how lucky I am to be alive now. 

Yep, pretty sure in times of old, mother and baby would have died in my son's birth scenario too.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, pretty sure in times of old, mother and baby would have died in my son's birth scenario too.

Yep same. Baby would have survived in mine (I think) but his mom would certainly be dead

• Sad 1

I had a really bad infection on a blister when I was at school. It made me really ill. Obviously it was just some antibiotics and I was fine, it’s minor. 

But I bet that’s something that would have killed me a couple of hundred years ago

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep same. Baby would have survived in mine (I think) but his mom would certainly be dead

Really struggled to choose an appropriate like for these comments. Happy everybody is okay but sad for the fact they could easily have not been. 

I had a wisdom tooth out today. No idea how that would have been done without decent painkillers. Guessing copious amounts of alcohol. 

The more I think about it the more I realise how many little things could have really messed my life up without modern medicine and the more annoyed I become that we're potentially heading towards a situation when large parts of our country will struggle to access it. 

9 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

My son was born via C-section and my wife needed post natal care as she'd lost too much blood, would he and his mum survived labour without modern medicine (probably not)?

C-sections have been around longer than 2000 years.

9 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

How often modern medicine has saved my life. 

By that I mean things which I've suffered (injuries or illness) that are relatively minor nowadays but would have likely killed me a few hundred years ago. 

Could I have survived a broken collarbone, a hernia or bronchitis as a baby? Possibly not. 

Makes me realise how lucky I am to be alive now. 

Yeah, but I've done my own research and vaccines are dangerous. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

C-sections have been around longer than 2000 years.

Have blood transfusions (to the standard required to save a mother from postpartum haemorrhaging) been around that long? Because I think that's the part he was getting at...

• Like 1

When people say they are on a decent salary, I always wonder what their version of decent is. I guess people have different views of it, depending on their age, or lifestyle, or perhaps their upbringing? I'd never ask people what they earn, but I find it interesting. Is it £50k, £75k, £100k? etc.

Edited by Xela

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Have blood transfusions (to the standard required to save a mother from postpartum haemorrhaging) been around that long? Because I think that's the part he was getting at...

“Would he and his mum”

I agree they were rarely survivable for the mother but that wasn’t all the question

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, vaccines. 

The big three life savers. 

(Along with antiseptic/disinfectant hygene, and clean drinking water). 

And beer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

When people say they are on a decent salary, I always wonder what their version of decent is. I guess people have different views of it, depending on their age, or lifestyle, or perhaps their upbringing? I'd never ask people what they earn, but I find it interesting. Is it £50k, £75k, £100k? etc.

I would say most people would agree you're on a decent salary when you get to pay higher rate Tax so £50,000 plus. 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

All relevant to your bills and what you want from life, my mates are a proper mix, we all earn different amounts we all "waste" different amounts from circa £1600 a month mortgage repayments to £800 pcps on cars, clothes, football, gigs, smoking, drinking, food... We all piss it up the wall

Disposal income and then trying to relate all that to happiness is tough to gauge 

One thing I have seen a few people say is they earn to much to drop down, I'd agree with that, I've set my life up in a certain way and now I kind of have to sustain it, on leaving Germany my wife tried to get us to live in the village where she's from and get me a job at the factory where her brothers work earning half what I do now and part of me doesn't want to the other part of me is genuinely worried that I couldn't do it 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would say most people would agree you're on a decent salary when you get to pay higher rate Tax so £50,000 plus. 

Not sure I'd agree, with my council estate working class upbringing and where I was from you'd be considered to be doing well for yourself if you went above average wage so that's what £26k?

Got a few family members who work at JLR and do a lot of overtime and extra shifts and bonuses etc and maybe push £30k a year and that's considered a well paid good job where they look after you 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure I'd agree, with my council estate working class upbringing and where I was from you'd be considered to be doing well for yourself if you went above average wage so that's what £26k?

Got a few family members who work at JLR and do a lot of overtime and extra shifts and bonuses etc and maybe push £30k a year and that's considered a well paid good job where they look after you 

Well yeah. The true answer is its all relative.  Down the golf club where most are on £75k they'd consider £50k a shit wage. 

I just think £50k would be a figure the average earner would consider pretty darn good. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Well yeah. The true answer is its all relative.  Down the golf club where most are on £75k they'd consider £50k a shit wage. 

I just think £50k would be a figure the average earner would consider pretty darn good. 

Yeah no doubt £50k is a good wage for a whole lot of people 

I'd say £50k puts you fairly soundly in middle class territory so for a whole group of people it's a wage they can only dream of

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Actually true. Before the days of clean drinking water, it was the safest thing to drink. 

Yeah, I know. That's why I said it. 

Resulted in our understanding of bad sanitation and cholera when they identified no one was dying of it who worked for the breweries and drank free beer instead of water from the local well. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â