Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Not sure how anyone could not like Avocado flavour. It's not particularly strong or amazing, but there's absolutely nothing offensive about it.

I find it's often the texture people don't like about it.

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm really glad I landed on the right side of that line, but I can completely understand why people don't like it. It's very strong. The weird thing is coriander seed is completely different and from a culinary/cooking POV, entirely unrelated.

Me too. Apparently the research shows between 3% and 21% of populations have the different DNA that precludes them from enjoying coriander. The variation in percentage is largely down to ethnicity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I find it's often the texture people don't like about it.

Soapy.

tbf, I can take guacamole in small doses, it's eating avos in their basic form that I find really disgusting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Soapy.

tbf, I can take guacamole in small doses, it's eating avos in their basic form that I find really disgusting. 

Going full blown mom's net over here

They're a really hard fruit to pick in the shop, often found that when I've wanted some they're rock hard and no good for another 3 or 4 days or too soft and browning when I cut them

My wife makes a really good avacado smash but they're not something I tend to bother with, I'll eat them with a load of other stuff in a wrap but that's about it

• Like 1

How the **** is the breakfast thread still going after a) pages were written on the subject in other threads before the specific thread was started and b) the whole topic was covered a couple of years ago anyway. 

Just now, sidcow said:

How the **** is the breakfast thread still going after a) pages were written on the subject in other threads before the specific thread was started and b) the whole topic was covered a couple of years ago anyway. 

C) it's not as controversial as I thought it would be when I created it 

I thought there'd be some right arguments in there (looking at @Xelaand his **** ramekins)

What I wonder is why no one's started a Sunday dinner thread off the back of it... Natural progression 

• Like 1

Having watched schindlers list whatbkd give for a conversation with my wife's grandparents even given my sketchy german I'd be their best mate wanting to know everything

I know a tiny bit about where they live being liberated by Americans and I know her one gran was like 20 years older than her grandad cos there was no men...but no one knows anything more than that, they all sadly died relatively young a long time ago, her great grandparents came from Poland and it just gets muddier from there 

I hope my kids are history buffs like me and give it 15 to 20 years they say let's go find them, for maybe obvious reasons ze germans don't want look

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One of my favourite travel books is Patrick Leigh Fermour's "A Time of Gifts". As a young bloke in the 1930s he set off to walk/hitchhike across Europe to Istanbul. Passing through Germany, he found a nice pub, but got dog's abuse from some local Nazi youth in the bar. To his credit, the pub landlord turfed the guy out, and apologised for his dickhead behaviour. A few years ago, some bloke made a TV programme retracing PLF's journey, and found the same pub - almost completely unchanged, and still in the family, run by the original landlord's grandson. When asked what became of his granddad, he said he'd been conscripted in 1942, and died on the Russian front. 

So many stories. 

That's interesting. A quick look tells me 'Nick Hunt : Walking the Woods and the Water' might be what you're on about? Although that's a book re-tracing the steps. I can't find a TV programme.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That's interesting. A quick look tells me 'Nick Hunt : Walking the Woods and the Water' might be what you're on about? Although that's a book re-tracing the steps. I can't find a TV programme.

That book looks interesting, but it's a different guy. I think this was the one: 

• Thanks 1

Not something I've often, If ever wondered about but got an answer today

I live in a high rise flat, my mom popped round this morning and mentioned there were 2 police cars outside, they were still there hours later, I needed to nip out and get some bits, called the lift, the smell inside, indescribable, to the point I went to the staircase and wretched, almost being sick, I walked down the 8 flights of stairs to see in the foyer a body bag on a trolly with undertakers (or private ambulance) and the police wheeling a body away, that putrid smell in the air.

Today I found out what a corpse smells like. It's something that will never leave me.

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Breakfast food innit? The best type of food. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â