Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 02/09/2022 at 21:09, Xela said:

Going back to the IKEA stuff, when I first moved into my old place a long time ago, I purchased a few things from there. I got 3 tables... I think they were £5 each! They are the LACK table. They look as though they are about £20 now. 

I still have all 3! What bargains. Why would I want to spend more on little tables? 

When i first got my first house on my own (2010) I went to Ikea and got the cheapest dining table and chairs I could find. £80 for a table and 4 chairs. My intention was for it to hold me over until I bought a better one

Still got them and use them every day :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Apparently, it's driven by certain advertisers who wouldn't buy space on a non-children-suitable platform. 

Having just read the quote on the first post on this page (858) I think it might need some adjustment. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When i first got my first house on my own (2010) I went to Ikea and got the cheapest dining table and chairs I could find. £80 for a table and 4 chairs. My intention was for it to hold me over until I bought a better one

I work at IKEA.

12 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Why does VT have a limit on reaction? It’s not like you can spam posts with them.

People with a little yellow badge under their avatar don't have a restriction.

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Baps flaps and wank are fine.

So wank gets through, but rocket polisher doesn't?

It might have been funny to sit in the meetings where these boundaries are set? :)

9 minutes ago, Xann said:

It might have been funny to sit in the meetings where these boundaries are set? :)

Meetings? Some of the mods have never spoken, let alone met.

Words are added to the filter because of requests from advertisers or as jokes.

However, the rule is simple. No swearing.

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

Rocket polisher was a joke, much like representative for wellingborough. Not all word filters are to hide bad words

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MCU said:

Does Limpid actually have 109.9k posts or has he edited it in the Invision Power Board settings

I think that I acquired all the orphaned posts when we moved to IPB.

However, 100k posts in 20 years is 5k a year, which is 100 a week, or 14 a day.. Unlikely, but not impossible.

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

Words are added to the filter because of requests from advertisers or as jokes.

These are what I'm talking about.

Did they do consultations? That's where the comedy potential lies.

Was rocket polisher (the word, not your choice of alternative) an internal decision then? Advertisers ok with it?

Did they do consultations? That's where the comedy potential lies.

No

Was rocket polisher (the word, not your choice of alternative) an internal decision then? Advertisers ok with it?

As far as I remember (it's been a long time), this was an internal decision. However it's been in place so long that it might now be a problem even if it wasn't at the time it was added. As it's a very UK centric word, I imagine that it's not a problem as UK advertisers don't seem to desire "Disney safe" rules on sites with our demographics.

As long as we are funded even partly by adverts, we have to do what the advertisers say. They tend to react by pulling all ad revenue so it's not a debate.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Rocket polisher was a joke, much like representative for wellingborough. Not all word filters are to hide bad words

And clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly my intention :) 

14 years later I think, why the **** do I want to spend money on a table and chairs when i'm a hermit! 

To try and keep my foul language to a minimum in front of my daughter, I have found myself saying “Gordon Bennett” when irritated/exasperated/surprised.

A lot.

I inadvertently said it in front of a mate in the pub the other week which he found slightly archaic.

I wonder how many people younger than me (currently 39 years) use it or similar and whether my daughter will pick it up.

I regularly tell her it’s time to go “up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire” when it’s her bedtime. I’ve told her that she has her grandmother to thank for that one being ingrained in her old man.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â