Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Sort of related, typically when referring to yourself you might say “muggins here” when suggesting you’re being a bit stupid/put upon.

For example “Not sure how we’re all getting up to Scotland at the weekend, I guess muggins here will have to sort it out.”

Then you have mug referring to your face (hence “mugshot”). Only really used when “ugly” is accompanying it - “ugly mug”. 

Omg, love it. I couldn’t invent this stuff if I was William Wordsworth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

In that context it's a euphemism for idiot.

It's confusing because depending on context, Mug means multiple things in British slang. The other usual context as mentioned is a face

There's also a theatrical usage, to make an exagerated facial expression but you really won't hear that much outside acting circles and is even then still rather obscure.

Yes! That’s interesting. I heard about a guest being banned from a comedy show here in the states because he was accused of “mugging for the camera.“ 

9 hours ago, blandy said:

First one, yep. I quite like the Joshua Tree. It’s definitely not “shit” in my book, though everything U2 did after it, and quite a lot of what they did before it is.

If you listen to Daniel Lanois's solo stuff and other albums he produced, it's pretty clear that a lot of the sound on the Joshua Tree came from his production (with Brian Eno).

And I think the songs were developed in jam sessions with Lanois and Eno. It's a decent album IMO, by a band that got a bit lucky. If they'd stopped there and died of drug overdoses, I think it would be looked back on as an 80s classic by even the more obstinate musos on here, but it's now viewed in the context of Bono and The Edge being very annoying people who've since released a lot of shite.

Also the most famous songs on it have been horrifically overplayed. I always liked the second half of the album better.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

In that context it's a euphemism for idiot.

It's confusing because depending on context, Mug means multiple things in British slang. The other usual context as mentioned is a face

There's also a theatrical usage, to make an exagerated facial expression but you really won't hear that much outside acting circles and is even then still rather obscure.

And of course an abbreviation for a mugging (personal assault with robbery). Let's mug him. 

22 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If you listen to Daniel Lanois's solo stuff and other albums he produced, it's pretty clear that a lot of the sound on the Joshua Tree came from his production (with Brian Eno).

And I think the songs were developed in jam sessions with Lanois and Eno. It's a decent album IMO, by a band that got a bit lucky. If they'd stopped there and died of drug overdoses, I think it would be looked back on as an 80s classic by even the more obstinate musos on here, but it's now viewed in the context of Bono and The Edge being very annoying people who've since released a lot of shite.

Also the most famous songs on it have been horrifically overplayed. I always liked the second half of the album better.

100 percent agree. Perfectly put, all of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

If you listen to Daniel Lanois's solo stuff and other albums he produced, it's pretty clear that a lot of the sound on the Joshua Tree came from his production

I absolutely love Lanois' 'Acadie' album. Otherwise not keen on his productions for other artists (e.g. Dylan). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I absolutely love Lanois' 'Acadie' album. Otherwise not keen on his productions for other artists (e.g. Dylan). 

The Maker is a really beautiful song. Mixed feelings about other albums he's produced. It's a very distinctive sound... think artists tend to go to him when they want to change things up a bit?

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 06:45, AVFC_Hitz said:

I feel like a bit of an idiot now. 

"Are you trying to mug me off?" Are you trying to make me out as an idiot? 

"I feel like a mug" - I've just realised @Xela isnt actually in a wheelchair.

How rude, that's his commode. 

R.e. "I'm going to mug that ugly mug by overpouring tea into his mug.  That'll mug him off".   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Do rich people use IKEA? 

Surely some billionaire owns a Billy Bookcase, no? 

Yes, fairly sure there have been recent quotes from Zlatan for one, who said when questioned about why he shopped in IKEA when he was rich, he replied that Intelligent People shop in IKEA

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But a lot of stuff in Ikea is really **** expensive

Not as expensive as a similar quality and type of item purchased elsewhere. It's all relative.

We bought our large sofa from there, it cost a substantial amount but I couldn't find a similar one anywhere for less than double the price

Same for our dining table too, not cheap but still multiple hundreds of pounds cheaper than equivalents elsewhere

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Does Alan Sugar actually believe what he says?

Fortunately, I have absolutely no idea what he says (except "You're fired". I've seen that on the trailers). 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Fortunately, I have absolutely no idea what he says (except "You're fired". I've seen that on the trailers). 

He's come out today and said that people working from home are all lazy gits and should be paid less. 

I'm not sure if he actually believes it or not. 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â