Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Mate of mine 'for teh lulz' got me a Villa lego bus after I passed some comment on the Villa Park lego stadium before Christmas. I now have a bus in a box that I will never make sitting in my room gathering dust. This is what he wanted. The bastard. And I doubt it was even particularly cheap.

Wait, there’s a villa park Lego set?! I’m on it…..

edit - just checked and it’s £103, I’m out.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, that's something else, that is Rebekah Vardy suing Colleen Rooney for accusing her of leaking something to the media. It seems to be an extremely stupid and counterproductive thing to do, too - for example this stuff has emerged from it:

Side note, but '(The Sun said they already knew about the arrest because someone at the police station had told them)' suggests absolutely nothing has changed since Leveson.

Thanks mate, my life is whole now after knowing this👍

Jesus wept 🤣

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

On 26/04/2022 at 10:13, Seat68 said:

Let's see those **** from over the Atlantic come over here and call it Legos. 

I'm on it!.   And while I'm at it, I'll add an "s" to the end of Math. 😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/04/2022 at 12:02, mjmooney said:

We're straying into the 'Hobbies' thread a bit here, but whatever. 

Aesthetics aside, I agree that using Lego (or Meccano for that matter) to build something to your own design is possibly more satisfying than simply assembling and painting an Airfix kit (the Lego set that is used to construct a specific lumpy and angular item is different - that's the worst of all worlds for me). 

I think that's why, as a kid, I quickly progressed from assembling 'out of the box' to doing kit conversions (e.g tank to self-propelled gun on the same chassis) using plastic card and other improvised components - and ultimately to scratchbuilding, to scale plans (all models now sadly gone). 

As an adult, the nearest I get to it is small DIY projects (another thread, again), where I have to come up with my own design, e.g. this cupboard/shelves unit. The doors were stock components, everything else is MDF. 

IMG20220427114448.jpg

Tell you what Mike, done a grand job there! you can’t even tell it’s Lego at all! 

• Haha 3

On 27/04/2022 at 04:02, mjmooney said:

We're straying into the 'Hobbies' thread a bit here, but whatever. 

Aesthetics aside, I agree that using Lego (or Meccano for that matter) to build something to your own design is possibly more satisfying than simply assembling and painting an Airfix kit (the Lego set that is used to construct a specific lumpy and angular item is different - that's the worst of all worlds for me). 

I think that's why, as a kid, I quickly progressed from assembling 'out of the box' to doing kit conversions (e.g tank to self-propelled gun on the same chassis) using plastic card and other improvised components - and ultimately to scratchbuilding, to scale plans (all models now sadly gone). 

As an adult, the nearest I get to it is small DIY projects (another thread, again), where I have to come up with my own design, e.g. this cupboard/shelves unit. The doors were stock components, everything else is MDF. 

IMG20220427114448.jpg

Are those all Bob Dylan CD’s?

On 27/04/2022 at 11:26, mjmooney said:

I had exactly the same problem with Meccano that I did with Lego - it may have been fun to construct, but the end product always looked crap - in this case holes, rather than pimples. 

278749099_1704845153199154_6022200441153

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That looks really good...until you zoom in. 

I wasn't arguing :) I was against Lego remember? Just it looks cool. And nothing's ever improved by zooming in :P  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I wasn't arguing :) I was against Lego remember? Just it looks cool. And nothing's ever improved by zooming in :P  

My cock is. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

Hmmmmm. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That looks really good...until you zoom in. 

All Lego builds look good ( from a distance )

Its when you zoom in that you realise its made of little blocks,and to make matters worse, none of the blocks have letters of the alphabet on them.

When the 25-30 regulars in the Gresford thread are finally gonna get bored. I know I don't like the thread but **** me it's like a drug, reading some of the opinions. Never known anything like it. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Whether you liked his music or not, Freddie Mercury was a phenomenon. What I often wonder is, how and why was he unique. He had a good throat with a good voicy thing. As do plenty of others, but why was he unique? Why isn't there another Freddie Mercury somewhere. I hope at some point there will be.

Also, whiskey is really strong.

• Haha 2

On 27/04/2022 at 02:58, BOF said:

The thing that irks me with Lego's success is that it was so inferior to Mecano. It's dumbed down Mecano. Maybe that was too tricky for smaller kids. Maybe the genius of Lego is that its difficulty rating sits perfectly between the toddler aged Duplo (which Lego now own too) and the older Mecano (well, older once kids became less independent generationally), and by the time the kid theoretically should be 'growing out of' Lego, they have them invested.  Which leads me to ... the other thing that irks me (while I'm at it) is that even Lego's attempt at Mecano, the 'Tecniks' or whatever it's called, where you buy say a helicopter etc, you can only really effectively make that one product out of it. You get the specific bits for that one creation. Which flies (boom boom) completely in the face of Lego being a clean sheet of paper for creation.

So to summarise, you've either got an inferior product or a very hard and fast set of instructions for one thing.

And then there's the price ...

Lego. Fair play to them. If people will buy shit then sell them shit.

Broadly agree with this.

I would add for me Lego and Meccano really did not compete, Lego was more structural while Meccano was mechanical. I remember  preferring Betta Bilda to Lego; Betta Bilda was more limited in some ways but houses actually looked like houses. Civil engineering I suppose. I grew up to be a chemist.

4 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Broadly agree with this.

I would add for me Lego and Meccano really did not compete, Lego was more structural while Meccano was mechanical. I remember  preferring Betta Bilda to Lego; Betta Bilda was more limited in some ways but houses actually looked like houses. Civil engineering I suppose. I grew up to be a chemist.

I think we can dispense with your opinion then

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think we can dispense with your opinion then

Ouch.  Giving him a taste of his own medicine there.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â