Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Antiques Roadshow and alike.  Obviously these types of shows showcase what we the public have to offer in our loft, sideboard etc. 

However, one thing is bugging me, in 50 or 100 years, the bits of crap that I get talked into buying for my kids which is always “limited edition” and “ultra rare”, will we see this stuff on the telly in the future?

You wouldn’t believe the nonsense I buy for them, which is then left lying around the house gathering dust.

Big skip required or should I box it all in the loft for some poor bugger to find? 

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Antiques Roadshow and alike.  Obviously these types of shows showcase what we the public have to offer in our loft, sideboard etc. 

However, one thing is bugging me, in 50 or 100 years, the bits of crap that I get talked into buying for my kids which is always “limited edition” and “ultra rare”, will we see this stuff on the telly in the future?

You wouldn’t believe the nonsense I buy for them, which is then left lying around the house gathering dust.

Big skip required or should I box it all in the loft for some poor bugger to find? 

Don’t know about the limited edition stuff. 

My mum has been kicking herself for throwing away mine and my brother’s Lego from years ago as my daughter likes it. And obviously the official Lego is fairly expensive these days.

Obviously it’s guesswork on what might prove to still be useful in 30 years time. And it depends how much spare storage spaces you have.

I’m fortunate in that I have a fair bit of attic space. I will probably put aside a box full of my daughter’s Lego, dolls, a few books and cuddly toys, if she has a daughter of her own one day, they might come in useful.

If she doesn’t, either someone I know who has a kid will have it, or it’ll go to the charity shop.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If they are parrots, she is a pirate. 

If they are vultures, she is a zombie. 

If they are storks, she is very fertile. 

If they are caged canaries, she is a coal miner.  

If they are emus, she is the president of the Rod Hull Fan Club.  

Disappointing lack of tits, chuffs, and shags.

16 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It’s genuinely pot luck these days. Mostly production errors, packaging errors, figures/toys that sneak out of the factory after a cancellation or widely advertised “reduced” production runs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

The trouble is with the special stuff, its the stuff people tend to keep.

So by warped logic, people throw away the common stuff and preserve the rare stuff.

So in 100 years time, there will still be 15,000 limited edition light sabre dildos, but almost no bog standard Ikea lamp shades.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The trouble is with the special stuff, its the stuff people tend to keep.

So by warped logic, people throw away the common stuff and preserve the rare stuff.

So in 100 years time, there will still be 15,000 limited edition light sabre dildos, but almost no bog standard Ikea lamp shades.

image.jpeg.4ddcf1dcd3d787ce09185b022ae9cc58.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s genuinely pot luck these days. Mostly production errors, packaging errors, figures/toys that sneak out of the factory after a cancellation or widely advertised “reduced” production runs. 

It’s a good point on the errors making things genuinely different.

There is a limited edition record release by ‘Dinked’ and on one recent production run, they didn’t put the numbers on the items (1 of 300, 2 of 300). People were moaning about it, saying they hadn’t got what they paid for.

Well to my brain, either they just like the record, in which case it has no impact. Or, if it was rarity and value they were after, they’ve actually done well to snag one that has an error on it. People eh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

What if they are Great Tits? 

Edit... I see I am late to the party 😒

Edited by sidcow

6 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

OK, what if it's a Hoary puffleg? 

Does anyone remember that Northern Birds song by the Amateur Transplants? Adam Kay (of “This Is Going to Hurt” fame) has successfully wiped it off the face of the internet… I wonder how on earth he’s managed to do that… I’ve tried so hard to find it. You can still Google the lyrics 

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

One of them shows looks like a Ponzi scheme … go out with an expert see object for £200 , haggle it down to £170 thinking you're a dab hand at this game ,  sell it at auction on TV  for £60 … and then the next reputable trader puts it on his stall for £200 waiting for the next dab hand to come along

I'm always amazed by the amount of time these people waste on getting, at best, a £50 profit. Surely it's just not worth the effort.

I get it if you genuinely find antiques interesting, but if you're just trying to get rich, it seems like such a pointless hobby.

On 05/04/2022 at 20:41, Xela said:

If i'd got access to firearms, like I would in the States, would I have killed myself by now? 

I do ponder that sometimes. 

I get this. I'm obviously glad I don't, but if I had access to firearms, I'd not have made it into my twenties, and there's absolutely no way I'd have made it through lockdown. I'm surprised the suicide rate in the US isn't higher.

I’ve got a Bargain Hunt scam and I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Buy any old tut, but have two stooges in the bidding room. Get them to bid against each other bumping up the price of each item. Guaranteed win and you get to keep the cash and split it four ways.

Why hasn’t this been done, and who can meet me at Malvern Antiques on the 4th June?

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve got a Bargain Hunt scam and I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Buy any old tut, but have two stooges in the bidding room. Get them to bid against each other bumping up the price of each item. Guaranteed win and you get to keep the cash and split it four ways.

Why hasn’t this been done, and who can meet me at Malvern Antiques on the 4th June?

Wouldn’t one of your team, the stooge with the unrealistically high bid, need to pay the large winning bid?!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â