Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Erm, hate to break it to you but exactly the same happens to that word

Just not as often because it isn't a word many people use. Particularly those having difficulty pronouncing biopic.

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Just not as often because it isn't a word many people use. Particularly those having difficulty pronouncing biopic.

Myopic is pronounced the other way My Opik

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Its Bio (Biographic) Pic (Picture), there is no other way, it must be that or it makes no sense. You can't chuck the O on the other side because you want to sound intellectual

I'm so confused. Every post you've written over the last page makes me think you have a different position.

I agree that bio comes from biographic and should be pronounced the way it is when found in the word, rather than using the stresses applied to the snippet. 

edit - I disagree with my last paragraph. Maybe not helping my confusion...

Edited by Sam-AVFC

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm so confused. Every post you've written over the last page makes me think you have a different position.

I agree that bio comes from biographic and should be pronounced the way it is when found in the word, rather than using the stresses applied to the snippet. 

Its bio pic and my opic if that makes sense. The stresses on the O are different

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

How would you pronounce hyperopic, an antonym of myopic?

Hyper-opic.

I don't think I've even heard anyone saying bio-pic before, so this has really thrown me. I now feel like I should have, not that I agree it's right, because it feels like the natural west country way to pronounce it.

I read hereby in my head as hereby like Hereford for years as I didn't hear it out loud and didn't bother to consult a dictionary for accuracy.

I say bye-opp-pic and mye-opp-pic the same way 

10 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

I read hereby in my head as hereby like Hereford for years as I didn't hear it out loud and didn't bother to consult a dictionary for accuracy.

I say bye-opp-pic and mye-opp-pic the same way 

As do I.

Although I reckon it could be counted on one hand how often I say either word over the course of an average year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â