Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

33 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

2 fish and chips is 2 pieces of fish with chips. Fish and chips twice is as it sounds. 

Exactly.  

But if I asked a pub for 2 gin and tonic it is obvious that I mean 2 drinks. 

Why the difference?  

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Exactly.  

Why the difference?  

Because  you would ask for a double gin and tonic for one drink, even a baby would know this 

It's simply how English works, 

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Because  you would ask for a double gin and tonic for one drink, even a baby would know this 

It's simply how English works, 

I am pretty sure that you can't begin a sentence with "because".  Even a baby would know this.  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am pretty sure that you can't begin a sentence with "because".  Even a baby would know this.  😆

I know, I knew and I was going to change it but I like living on the edge sometimes, anyway, how would one order 14 individual pork scratchings.

• Haha 2

On 17/03/2022 at 19:43, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Exactly.  

Why the difference? 

First off I think you would ask for "2 gin and tonics". The plural on tonics would be a hint.  But even if you did ask for "2 gin and tonic" it would be a comparitively strange order as drinks orders go, to want 2 (single) gins and 1 tonic water. Not impossible, but very rare - and if you did want that, you'd probably specify it at the time otherwise you'd very likely get 2 and 2. Or you'd ask for '2 gin and a tonic'.

But it is not that weird to want 2 fish and 1 portion of chips. Not sure about over there, but here if you just get a fish, they sling in a load of chips with it anyway, and/or one of the customers mightn't be that big an eater.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 19:53, sidcow said:

Fixed that. 

I would say 2 portions of fish and chips please.

Actually I wouldn't, I'd more likely say one portion of Roe and Chips and one pasty and chips please. 

Is the right answer from my time working in the industry 

You would ask for 2 portions of fish and chips, or 2 fish and a portion of chips if you just meant 1 chips 

But you lost it at roe and chips, I couldn't even bring myself to eat that muck when it was free 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BOF said:

But it is not that weird to want 2 fish and 1 portion of chips. Not sure about over there, but here if you just get a fish, they sling in a load of chips with it anyway, and/or one of the customers mightn't be that big an eater

Exactly so. For me and the missus I always get 'two fish, one chips', as the chips portions are way too big for us. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Exactly so. For me and the missus I always get 'two fish, one chips', as the chips portions are way too big for us. 

'And 2 fish cuz she ain't gettin' none o' mine'.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I usually say “pan fried sea bass with pommes frites and a Perrier, deux fois”

This actually reminds me of the time I turned up in a little seaside town and the chipper had smoked hake. Oh sweet merciful ... heaven.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Genuinely though I would always just assume 2 fish & chips = 2 fish + 2 portions chips and that’s how I would order it. 

Yeah I think most people did from memory 

The vast majority of people if they wanted 2 fish 1 chips would specify it, most would go "2 fish and 1 large chips" can't remember in 4 years of working in a chippy ever having that misunderstanding and I saw a lot of customers moaning like **** in there 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

This actually reminds me of the time I turned up in a little seaside town and the chipper had smoked hake. Oh sweet merciful ... heaven.

Irish coastal towns are a bit of a seafood gastronome's delight from what I've heard. 

I had hake in a tapas restaurant once, and it was one of the best things I'd ever eaten. Genuinely since then on the rare occasions I'm in a restaurant I'll check to see if they've got a hake dish first and foremost. And they never do.

Forever chasing that fish dragon :(

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I had hake in a tapas restaurant once, and it was one of the best things I'd ever eaten. Genuinely since then on the rare occasions I'm in a restaurant I'll check to see if they've got a hake dish first and foremost. And they never do.

Forever chasing that fish dragon :(

It's fairly common over here in restaurants and decent gastro pubs.  Certainly not something you'd have to go in search of.  But in a common or garden chip shop that's the only time I've ever seen it, and they haven't had it since on the few ocassions I've been back down there.

As for 'things I always order if it's on the menu'. For me that would be venison.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â