Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think it's because after you've put it in park you release the footbrake, the car rolls forward until the transmission stops it's momentum.

see i dont, i never moved mine in to park, i pulled up, stopped, put the handbrake on and then took my foot off same as i would with a manual transmission and then that automatically puts the car in to park

i've never had the jolt forward

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

see i dont, i never moved mine in to park, i pulled up, stopped, put the handbrake on and then took my foot off same as i would with a manual transmission and then that automatically puts the car in to park

My current car (alfa) does it and even after six months of driving it, I'm still freaked out by it. Especially if I'm parked close to a car in front. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You see over here we never use the handbrake (they call it a foot break) - just put it in park a leave. Foot break is only used is you park on a steep hill.

• Like 1

My automatic. I pull up, I stop using the foot brake and then I remove the key. That applies the hand brake and puts it in park. No Lurch forward at any point. I think you people are driving cars so old even @Xela wouldn't touch them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why are flies called flies.

Not flying flies, that much is clear; trouser flies.

Why is a button fly a fly?

Why is a zip fly a fly?

It's like a "fly sheet" for a tent, isn't it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's like a "fly sheet" for a tent, isn't it?

A google says yes.

I can't say as I know what a fly sheet for a tent actually looks like, but apparently the "fly" on your trousers is the bit of cloth that hides the zip or the buttons.

Edit: Aha!

Further google says that the fly sheet on a tent is so named because it acts as a sort of outer door that keeps flies out. It's not the main door that keeps warm in and wet out, just a sort of cover. 

So your trouser flies are called trouser flies because they resemble a thing that keeps flies out of tents.

Another mystery solved!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why are flies called flies.

Not flying flies, that much is clear; trouser flies.

Why is a button fly a fly?

Why is a zip fly a fly?

There’s a song by someone like Bloodhound Gang with a lyric about it being called a fly because it takes you up to heaven.

But I can’t find it and it’s annoying me.

It can’t even be an American band, because don’t they call them zippers?

And the original joke doesn’t really make sense does it? Hmm lots to think about.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

There’s a song by someone like Bloodhound Gang with a lyric about it being called a fly because it takes you up to heaven.

But I can’t find it and it’s annoying me.

And the original joke doesn’t really make sense does it? Hmm lots to think about.

not flight of the Conchords ? 

They call it a fly because it takes you up to heaven oh oh A kiss is not a contract but it's very nice.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My automatic. I pull up, I stop using the foot brake and then I remove the key. That applies the hand brake and puts it in park. No Lurch forward at any point. I think you people are driving cars so old even @Xela wouldn't touch them. 

The best cars for rocking back and forth are the old American barges! They can rock you to sleep when you stop!

I've been driving autos for a long time now and never used the handbrake. I did hire a 'modern' in the last 12 months and that had a la-di-dah electronic handbrake. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Levi's are possibly responsible for this by describing, for example, a pair of 501's as having a button fly when they also they also have buttons. It should be button fastenings protected by a fly

But that example in itself proves that fly is a perfectly common word in the US too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The best cars for rocking back and forth are the old American barges! They can rock you to sleep when you stop!

I've been driving autos for a long time now and never used the handbrake. I did hire a 'modern' in the last 12 months and that had a la-di-dah electronic handbrake. 

Land rovers hand brake works by grabbing the prop shafts, and they rock good, though you really need to make sure the vehicle is completely stationary or you can cause major damage.

And as for these new dangled lah di dah electronic handbrakes, my current car has one, and when I got it the switch was exactly where the window winder switch was on my old car. As a result I came to a few screeching halts through muscle memory. Lucky I didn’t break the thing.

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2022 at 19:01, blandy said:

Land rovers hand brake works by grabbing the prop shafts, and they rock good, though you really need to make sure the vehicle is completely stationary or you can cause major damage.

And as for these new dangled lah di dah electronic handbrakes, my current car has one, and when I got it the switch was exactly where the window winder switch was on my old car. As a result I came to a few screeching halts through muscle memory. Lucky I didn’t break the thing.

Reminds me one of my first experiences driving an automatic. Muscle memory. Went to change gear and put left foot 'clutch pressing' force onto the brake pedal. Oh how I laughed. Kinda thing you only do once (or twice)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Reminds me one of my first experiences driving an automatic. Muscle memory. Went to change gear and put left foot 'clutch pressing' force onto the brake pedal. Oh how I laughed. Kinda thing you only do once (or twice)

Exactly the same for me the first time I drove one. Much to the amusement of all the Americans I was driving about. 

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

VT users who are on most days and then one day just suddenly stop posting. What happened to them all

A poster on here knows me so I'll tell him to pm you if I drop down dead👍

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â