Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think it just used to be easier to be a serial killer. No digital footprints, no CCTV, no real DNA stuff. 

So sorry it's harder for you now Alex. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

I don't know much about the Afghanistan/Iraq situations you mention. But it's difficult to take account of military cases - ultimately you can't really say someone is a serial killer if their job says they may need to kill people. Of course if they're going rogue to bump off a few people, different story.

Serial killers are interesting, unfortunately. The why, with its many facets, the how, the investigations, it's all interesting. What's important to recognise, though, is they're all pathetic. They aren't Hannibal Lector, they're mostly average at best intellectually (famously Gary Ridgeway, America's highest body count killer iirc, is a moron. He was just good at getting away with killing sex workers) and all of them are broken to some extent mentally, emotionally or socially.

There are various examples of individuals or teams getting into the habit of executing obviously innocent civilians and then covering it up (placing weapons next to the bodies, etc). You can blame the horrors of war, but fundamentally it’s a series of murders carried out over an extended period of time?

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 10:34, KentVillan said:

Do all these serial killer and murder investigation docuseries on the streaming services inspire copycats?

I felt like there was a realisation in the 90s / 2000s that fetishising serial killers and giving them nicknames was a dangerous thing to do, and the news media had generally become more responsible.

But we seem to have gone back to treating them like celebrities. Isn’t it a bit sick?

20 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Working my way through Copytcat Killers on Discovery, basically loons who take their obsession to the ultimate level by reenacting the murders from cinema. Somewhat macabre but very watchable 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Xela said:

I think it just used to be easier to be a serial killer. No digital footprints, no CCTV, no real DNA stuff. 

I'd imagine if you had half a brain, you could have racked up huge numbers. 

• Haha 1

When did 'pudding' become a generic term for dessert? "Are you ready for pudding?". When I were a lad, a pudding was a specific thing. They only came in various types like Christmas, or Yorkshire or sticky toffee, but they had the word pudding in their name.  Now a pudding seems to be any dessert, which will simultaneously have its own name that doesn't include the word pudding. Grrr etc.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

When did 'pudding' become a generic term for dessert?

Must have been a long time ago. All my life it's been the same as "afters" or "dessert". I thought "pudding" was the normal word, "dessert" the posh word, for if you want to a restaurant, and "afters" more northern.

• Like 4

Just now, blandy said:

Must have been a long time ago. All my life it's been the same as "afters" or "dessert". I thought "pudding" was the normal word, "dessert" the posh word, for if you want to a restaurant, and "afters" more northern.

Starter, main, dessert.  That's what it's always been in my lifetime. Now for dessert you have pudding all of a sudden. Maybe it is just a geographical thing, but I hadn't noticed it in pop culture until say this century (God, way to phrase it there BOF).

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Maybe it is just a geographical thing, but I hadn't noticed it in pop culture until say this century (God, way to phrase it there BOF).

Either you're posh, or it's geographical. 

My childhood was the middie of last century, and in our working class Brummie family (Irish dad, though), the sweet thing after the main course was always called pudding. Don't think I ever heard the word 'dessert' except used by posh people on TV. Of course you might have some form of actual pudding for pudding. Or something else. Just like you might or might not have tea (the drink) with your tea (the evening meal). 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Pudding sounds posher than dessert. Fight me.

U and non-U English usage, with "U" standing for upper class, and "non-U" representing the aspiring middle classes, was part of the terminology of popular discourse of social dialects (sociolects) in Britain in the 1950s. The different vocabularies can often appear quite counter-intuitive: the middle classes prefer "fancy" or fashionable words, even neologisms and often euphemisms, in attempts to make themselves sound more refined ("posher than posh"), while the upper classes in many cases stick to the same plain and traditional words that the working classes also use, as, confident in the security of their social position, they have no need to seek to display refinement.

U and Non U

It may well be one of those words that us oicks used because we thought it was posh (but actually wasn't used by posh people at all). 

Usually abbreviated to 'pud', in any case. Or, as has been pointed out, 'afters'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since Brexit, it is now law to use pudding (or pud as I call it) and napkin. 

Dessert and serviettes have been sent back to Brussels! 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

U and Non U

It may well be one of those words that us oicks used because we thought it was posh (but actually wasn't used by posh people at all). 

Usually abbreviated to 'pud', in any case. Or, as has been pointed out, 'afters'. 

I said fight me, not give me interesting information 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Starter, main, dessert.  That's what it's always been in my lifetime. Now for dessert you have pudding all of a sudden. Maybe it is just a geographical thing, but I hadn't noticed it in pop culture until say this century (God, way to phrase it there BOF).

Definitely pudding even when I was in infants school

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Here's evidence of saying it right, @BOF. Also mentions "sweet" and "afters" as other words for pudding

Have a like for using the excellent John Shuttleworth as evidence :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dessert is on a menu, pudding is what you have at home

One for things that piss you off thread, but I **** go apoplectic with rage when people call Yorkshire puddings, “Yorkshires”. Yorkshire is a county you **** word removed, it is not a small accompaniment to a slice of roast beef. That is a Yorkshire pudding or a “Yorkshire pud” if you’re strapped for time.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â