Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Ah man, guaranteed there’s someone on here that is a seat down number 1er and stand up wiper number 2er! 

(probably don’t wear socks with shoes and pour inappropriate sauces over fried fish too!)

VT is full of sickos 🤣

Hopefully there's not a stand up number 2er.

Has anybody ever completed one of those partwork magazine model kits? 

Currently being TV advertised: build your own Titanic. First issue £1.99, thereafter £9.99. 140 issues. So, nearly £1,400 to complete. 

For comparison: Airfix kit of the Titanic - 47 quid. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Currently being TC advertised: build your own Titanic. First issue £1.99, thereafter £9.99. 140 issues. So, nearly £1,400 to complete. 

Mrs Sidcow and I had this exact conversation earlier. They're always a massive rip off these build model / buy magazine things but £1,400 for a plastic model of Titanic is breathtaking. 

You almost have to take your hat off to them. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Currently being TC advertised: build your own Titanic. First issue £1.99, thereafter £9.99. 140 issues. So, nearly £1,400 to complete. 

Over 11 years as well if its a monthly magazine! 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I’d be curious to know how many of those magazine publishers ultimately produce the sufficient number of issues to complete the model. I’d have thought a few would peter out with only the model halfway built.

And what’s actually the content in the magazine? Is it just 140 magazines worth of information about the Titanic?

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’d be curious to know how many of those magazine publishers ultimately produce the sufficient number of issues to complete the model. I’d have thought a few would peter out with only the model halfway built.

And what’s actually the content in the magazine? Is it just 140 magazines worth of information about the Titanic?

I've just been having the same thoughts. 

1) some people must come to their senses at some point and realise what they've got themselves into and

2) the magazine can't possibly come up with 140 editions of new and interesting information for someone obsessed enough with The Titanic to find worth forking out £10 a month for that long. 

I bet a lot of these things peter out after they've taken enough money. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've just been having the same thoughts. 

1) some people must come to their senses at some point and realise what they've got themselves into and

2) the magazine can't possibly come up with 140 editions of new and interesting information for someone obsessed enough with The Titanic to find worth forking out £10 a month for that long. 

I bet a lot of these things peter out after they've taken enough money. 

Yeah that’s my thinking too. While obviously you could get 140 magazines worth of information about the titanic, I would have thought the person likely to want to read it would already have a book or two on the subject. 

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that’s my thinking too. While obviously you could get 140 magazines worth of information about the titanic, I would have thought the person likely to want to read it would already have a book or two on the subject. 

I bet they do 10 - 15 editions and the readership starts to die out.   Then they send the remaining pieces (which are probably only worth a couple of quid) to anyone still interested.  So they've still raked in £150 or so for a worthless model. 

It’s a weekly magazine. So potentially £44 a month.

Buying by subscription guarantees ‘freebies’ such as folders for the magazines.

Premium subscription is an extra £1 per issue (so £10.99)  and gets you a display cabinet.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a weekly magazine. So potentially £44 a month.

Buying by subscription guarantees ‘freebies’ such as folders for the magazines.

Premium subscription is an extra £1 per issue (so £10.99)  and gets you a display cabinet.

You sound keen. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You sound keen. 

Those adverts have fascinated me for years. Whenever there’s an aircraft or race car or ship magazine I’m scanning the small print for the number of issues and the standard price.

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Back in the olden days when money was scarce my wife was buying some essential oils magazine. She spent a fortune and had a pile of magazines. We moved 2 years later and I binned that shit. 

Does she have an interest in the modern Thomas Telford's?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Currently being TV advertised: build your own Titanic. First issue £1.99, thereafter £9.99. 140 issues. So, nearly £1,400 to complete. 

I have to admit when I first read the first sentence I thought you were talking about assembling high priced lingerie from pieces.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â