Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 23.4.2017 at 23:01, sharkyvilla said:

In snooker, has anyone been snookered in such a way that it's physically impossible to hit the object ball?  Do you have to forfeit the frame like if you were in checkmate in chess?

Don't think this was answered by anyone. It's been a while since I played and had more than a passing interest but I believe you can only call foul and a miss for a maximum of the amount of points remaining on the table, after which a simple foul would be called. 

Edit: in the scenario you describe, a simple foul would probably be called right away. You can't call foul and a miss if it's a theoretically impossible shot. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, limpid said:

But how much time will the 18 month closure on the M5 j1-2 add to your journey?

Fortunately I'm going north around 23:00 and going south around 05:30 so it's reasonably quiet. Already had diversions due to M5 J1 to J2 closures which add about 6 or 7 minutes to my normal journey times and now there's a 40mph average speed camera limit from a mile north of J1 to J2 which add 5 minutes. I believe they are going to use contraflow to keep 2 lanes moving in each direction. Probably going to be major delays at peak times but the extra 5 minutes at my travel times aren't enough for me to use the M6 toll with it's extra 20 minutes and associated costs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

Don't think this was answered by anyone. It's been a while since I played and had more than a passing interest but I believe you can only call foul and a miss for a maximum of the amount of points remaining on the table, after which a simple foul would be called. 

Edit: in the scenario you describe, a simple foul would probably be called right away. You can't call foul and a miss if it's a theoretically impossible shot. 

I assumed sharkyvilla was talking about playing snooker rather than watching the professional game. The miss rule is only used in professional snooker. I play weekly and I have never seen the miss rule used in amateur snooker.

On 23/04/2017 at 22:01, sharkyvilla said:

In snooker, has anyone been snookered in such a way that it's physically impossible to hit the object ball?  Do you have to forfeit the frame like if you were in checkmate in chess?

It's incredibly unusual to be snookered in such a way that makes it physically impossible to hit the object ball. In the professional game a miss is called (until snookers are required) if it is deemed a better attempt could be made. As professional players are very good and could usually hit a snookered object ball (especially if they play the shot without a safety concern) a miss is called in most instances. However, if the snooker is extremely difficult, for example if the cue ball is near trapped between a cushion and a non-object ball, the referee can choose not to call a miss. A frame is only forfeited if a player misses an object ball(s) that is on (not snookered) on three consecutive attempts.

Fortunately, the miss rule isn't used in the non-professional snooker game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What do vegans feed their dogs?

You can get vegetarian and vegan pet food.

Many vegetarians and vegans feed healthful, meatless diets to their companion animals. One remarkable example is that of Bramble, a 27-year-old border collie whose vegan diet of rice, lentils, and organic vegetables earned her consideration by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest living dog in 2002. Studies have shown that the ailments associated with meat consumption in humans, such as allergies, cancer, and kidney, heart, and bone problems, also affect many nonhumans. Pet food has also been recalled during mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), scares because of the risk that contaminated meat was processed into the food. One deputy commissioner states that cats especially “are susceptible to BSE.”

The nutritional needs of dogs and cats are easily met with a balanced vegan diet and certain supplements. James Peden, author of Vegetarian Cats & Dogs, developed Vegepet™ supplements to add to vegetarian and vegan recipes. They are nutritionally balanced and also come in special formulas for kittens, puppies, and lactating cats and dogs.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-dogs/

Edited by Genie

The flavour of the shrimp foam sweet. Which I've just googled and its raspberry. 25+ years that question has been rattling around my noodle. 

Next question is: Why a shrimp?

Edited by Ingram85

Is it just a crass generalisation from me but are people more friendlier the further north you go? Having spent a fair bit of time around Manchester and Lancashire in general the last 12 months, people just seem far friendlier and more genuine. Plus they love a natter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is it just a crass generalisation from me but are people more friendlier the further north you go? Having spent a fair bit of time around Manchester and Lancashire in general the last 12 months, people just seem far friendlier and more genuine. Plus they love a natter. 

Generally yes. I spent five years at Manc Uni and loved the place and people that much I stayed up for a few years after. Cheshire too. Those were without the peak years of my life and loved nearly every minute. 

Always scumbags in big cities, Manchester isn't spare of them, townies types. They do "chav" to another level. But like I say take the rough with the smooth. 

Plus they adore football which might sound obvious but Gloucester HATES football and only likes rugby. The football passion in the north west is immense. Got to respect that

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Do people in the UK play 8 or 9 ball pool, or is it just snooker over there?

8 ball pool mostly.  I used to live in a pub and have been playing pool for about 40 years or so for a bit so if anyone fancies a game :D

I absolutely love playing pool man.  I can play it all day.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

8 ball pool mostly.  I used to live in a pub and have been playing pool for about 40 years or so for a bit so if anyone fancies a game :D

I absolutely love playing pool man.  I can play it all day.

Me too.  There are few things in life more statisfying than rattling one in from distance. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I've played all sorts, I live almost next to a pool hall and American 8 or 9 ball is the most popular there.  They got rid of the snooker bit and put a laser quest in, the bastards.  Professionally snooker is far more popular on TV, though occasionally snooker players have played pool at the top level either in the American or British versions and done well.

I think 8 ball is the most popular version of pool in the UK easily. It's probably more popular than snooker in terms of casual players. 

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think 8 ball is the most popular version of pool in the UK easily. It's probably more popular than snooker in terms of casual players. 

Yeah it's far more accessible than snooker.  Snooker must be one of the hardest sports/games to get even remotely competent at.

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

There are 8 ball pool tables in a lot of UK pubs, that are a bit smaller than US tables.The UK version is mostly played with red and yellow balls, as opposed to stripes and spots. 9 ball isn't played all that much in the UK, and the availability of tables isn't there unfortunately. We had a chain called Rileys in the UK, who had the bigger US tables, but they've pretty much gone out of business. I used to like a game of 9 ball. I play a lot more snooker these days, as we have an excellent table in my local club. As I think someone else pointed out though, it's hard to get good at snooker, unless you're practising all the time.

When I was a kid in comp our school bus stop was next to a 24 hr pool and snooker hall. So at 7:30am I'd be off down the bus stop an hour early, every morning for a couple of years. Left school with O level Art (C), O level Eng Lang (C), CSE Commerce (A) and seriously good at pool.

Anthony Davies lived three doors down and it's no coincidence he cites starting playing at age 12. That's when you started using the bus stop to get to comp.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â