Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 5/28/2016 at 17:26, sidcow said:

I have noticed this also and it really irritates me. There must be a reason for it because people never used to. I am not sure but I think it might be another creeping Americanism or possibly an Australianism.  It's something I could have put in the things that piss you off thread if I had thought of it. 

Another thought is it might be a media training thing. It's often  "So.........." with a pregnant pause. It might be a strategy to create thinking time 

and it makes one appear intelligent in comparison to Eh..., Ah... or Ummm... Why is just being silent and having a little think before speaking such a bad thing? I suppose those who find the thinking part difficult.

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

If you made a separate bet of £100 on Villa to lose before every premier league match this season, would you have finished up?

I think you'd have finished considerably up.

A friend of mine made a pretty penny when Coventry were relegated from the Championship (he's a cov fan) by betting they'd lose every week.

I wonder if anyone is taking more pills than me per day at the minute. Following a recent flare up I am now on 17 pills a day :(

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I wonder if anyone is taking more pills than me per day at the minute. Following a recent flare up I am now on 17 pills a day :(

Wow, sounds pretty rough mate.

On 5/29/2016 at 15:21, MakemineVanilla said:

I wasn't thinking of rugby, I was thinking of the Eton Field Game and such.

But yes, you are right.

For reasons to do with class loyalty/prejudice I had completely blanked from my mind all those early Wanderers' FA Cup victories.

I always think of Blackburn as the first winners.

Professionalism, it seems, was the big turning point for working-class players.

On the other hand, to the extent that mid-19th century football could be called a codified thing, there weren't major differences between the various strains throughout the Anglophone world.  Within the space of a lifetime (somewhere between 50 and 75 years), primordial football speciated into the diversity we see today (association, the rugbys, the gridirons, aussie, gaelic).  Part of this speciation was geographic (largely accounting for gridiron's evolution), some was political, no small amount was driven by other social trends.

Association football's working class associations are, more than anything else, traceable to a peculiar willingness of middle class Midlanders (for the most part) being far more OK with playing alongside/against the working class.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Jeez, that's a lot.  Just thinking of the aul' liver.  Hope you're off the majority of them soon !  I can only advise that you stop sticking him into foreign objects and the swelling should go down.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Blimey Alex, do you rattle when you walk? :)

Joking aside, hope you feel better soon fella :thumb:

• Like 1

On 01/06/2016 at 21:54, Xann said:

Are they working?

They are. The steroids (6 of the 17) work straight away and stop the internal bleeding. I just can't take them for too long

On 02/06/2016 at 11:27, BOF said:

Jeez, that's a lot.  Just thinking of the aul' liver.  Hope you're off the majority of them soon !  I can only advise that you stop sticking him into foreign objects and the swelling should go down.

That's the last time I get drunk in Bangkok! 

On 02/06/2016 at 16:22, Designer1 said:

Blimey Alex, do you rattle when you walk? :)

Joking aside, hope you feel better soon fella :thumb:

Cheers fella. 

Do school kids in America really slam their books shut , drop them in their bag and leave the classroom the second the bell rings at school without being dismissed  , as they do in the movies ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Do school kids in America really slam their books shut , drop them in their bag and leave the classroom the second the bell rings at school without being dismissed  , as they do in the movies ?

And judging by the horrendous Disney Channel shows my daughter watches do they all constantly shout and scream at each other? 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

And judging by the horrendous Disney Channel shows my daughter watches do they all constantly shout and scream at each other? 

I blame the parents :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If I had to be, which disastrous situation would I feel happier/more confident being involved in - "The Towering Inferno" or "The Poseidon Adventure".

before I can answer this question , which floor of the towering inferno would I have to be on when the disaster begins ?

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

before I can answer this question , which floor of the towering inferno would I have to be on when the disaster begins ?

You're a guest of the party being held on the top floor, considering whether to try your luck with a young Faye Dunaway while Paul Newman's not around.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â