Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Do cobblers still exist?

Load of them.

Seriously, there's a company here called Timpsons, branches everywhere. But they do other things that over the years have become more what they do - mainly key cutting and watch repairs. They will still fix your shoes though. 

In terms of actual shoe making, I guess most are made in factories, but there are still a few small companies that make expensive bespoke shoes.

• Like 1

Are media outlets obliged to call football grounds by their sponsorship names when applicable?

Probably yes

I'd seen something either last year or the year before about managers having to call it the Barclays premier league in post match interviews, they get warnings and have to do retakes etc if they don't

On May 17, 2016 at 08:03, dAVe80 said:

I'd make a joke about him being like that one out of Sex In The City, but then I'd be admitting to having seen Sex In The City... :ph34r:

I worked at this one bar in Boston, and the manager was this complete dickhead from Dublin. Total closet case and a real red headed devil. He came up with a drink that he wanted to call "The Carrie Bradshaw". 

I really should have quit right there on the spot...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Am I capable of building a small, wooden cabinet?

This weekend will give me the answer.

You're an accountant. 

So no, you can't do anything that doesn't involve stopping projects/things happening because of "cost effectiveness".

I hate accountants.

(even you Ben)

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You're an accountant. 

So no, you can't do anything that doesn't involve stopping projects/things happening because of "cost effectiveness".

I hate accountants.

(even you Ben)

If I don't build it, I'll have to pay someone to build it for me.

It's more cost effective to do it myself.

Project: approved!

• Like 1

How many more posts would I have if I actually posted everything I typed out?

I read them back before I 'submit reply' and most of them don't get through my 'you sound like a clearing in the woods' filter.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

How many more posts would I have if I actually posted everything I typed out?

I read them back before I 'submit reply' and most of them don't get through my 'you sound like a clearing in the woods' filter.

'Write but don't post' is good slogan for those wishing to avoid hassle and personal abuse. :thumb:

• Like 1

On 21 May 2016 at 06:25, maqroll said:

Do cobblers still exist?

On 21 May 2016 at 09:58, mjmooney said:

Load of them.

When I need to get my shoes repaired there's only 1 place I can go locally - he's the sole mender in town.

• Like 1

Why didn't football catch on until recently or at all in Commonwealth nations and former colonies? You'd think India could have produced a few world class players over the years...

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Why didn't football catch on until recently or at all in Commonwealth nations and former colonies? You'd think India could have produced a few world class players over the years...

A pig's bladder encased in cow skin, would probably be considered sacrilege by most of the population.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Because cricket is a far superior sport.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Football was a working class sport and wasn't really popular here before we started putting our flags elsewhere. The upper classes took cricket and that stuck.

My guess would be that the British Raj recreated the same class structure in India and opened schools which were copies of English public schools, which taught the same subjects and played the same sports.

Cricket being the sport gentlemen played and which had a rigid class apartheid between themselves and 'players'.

Or something like that. :)

8 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

My guess would be that the British Raj recreated the same class structure in India and opened schools which were copies of English public schools, which taught the same subjects and played the same sports.

Cricket being the sport gentlemen played and which had a rigid class apartheid between themselves and 'players'.

Or something like that. :)

But in those days, 'gentlemen' played football, too - Old Etonians were a top side. And rugby as well, of course. Neither caught on with the locals like cricket did. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â