Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Haven't we evolved not to really like fruit and veg as kids to stop us picking up and eating harmful vegetation?  Gradually our taste buds change to find them more palatable, though obviously some people choose to remain fussy eaters for life.

Not quite.

The belief is that we have aversions to certain types of flavours as a child to help us avoid harmful stuff. Not fruit and veg generally. We should actually have an inclination to want certain flavours as children - sweet fruit we should be seeking out as our body desires energy, still working on the basis that we need that hit of sugar to keep us going because we might not get more for days. Bitter and sour flavours on the other hand we want to avoid as that's a suggestion of harmful things. We grow to like those flavours as we discover they don't harm us.

• Like 1

Yeah, but. "Fussy eaters" implies that everybody else doesn't like fruit any more than me, but they are simply brave/obedient/resigned to eating the stuff. But that's not the case - lots of people (including kids) positively love the stuff. Which makes more evolutionary sense to me. However, I like the idea that the fruit haters are are sort of 'back up team' that can survive if for some reason fruit eating becomes a bad thing. 

Why do we have likes/dislikes/tastes/preferences? 

For example, lots of people love eating fruit. I don't, even though I know it is good for me. Why would evolution produce someone who dislikes nutritious foodstuffs? 

I guess it's a random genetic mutation that in a 'wild' environment would mean I'm likely to die before reproducing. 

If it was life or death, you would probably eat it though?

Send 'em to me, I love mushrooms.

And yes, if there was nothing else available, I'd eat fruit.

But it illustrstes my original 'wonder' - where do these likes and dislikes come from? 

• Like 1

I order a "stir fried mushrooms" portion on top of any Chinese meal I have, because they are so **** tasty.

When I was 7 I used to think they tasted weird, but now I love them.

The only food I won't eat, is a sprout - and I even try those once a year at christmas to see if they're better or worse than I remember.

I think I'd eat most things if I had to.

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I order a "stir fried mushrooms" portion on top of any Chinese meal I have, because they are so **** tasty.

When I was 7 I used to think they tasted weird, but now I love them.

The only food I won't eat, is a sprout - and I even try those once a year at christmas to see if they're better or worse than I remember.

I think I'd eat most things if I had to.

*Unzips*

• Like 2

Weirdly, although I don't much like green veg (I  actually can't eat spring greens or - THE most disgusting 'food' in the world - spinach), I really like sprouts! 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Weirdly, although I don't much like green veg (I  actually can't eat spring greens or - THE most disgusting 'food' in the world - spinach), I really like sprouts! 

Spinach is alright, it just tastes like leaves, especially raw in a salad.  Cabbage is worse than rabies and sprouts are like the flavour of ten rabies-ridden cabbages condensed into one ball of vileness.  Cabbage, sprouts, mushrooms and leeks I don't like, the rest are palatable, preferably with some kind of sauce smothered on top.

Raw spinach (say in a sandwich, with some meat) is tolerable - just. 

But the minute it's even slightly cooked, it takes on that slimy texture, and a taste and smell that makes me physically gag if it gets anywhere near me.

Leeks are nice, though. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â