Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

or were they 'red' as in salmony / russet / pinky / burgundy types of off red shades, in which case you've just encountered somebody posh on a non-work day.

The penchant is the result of a mixture of (over)'confidence' and rules about casual clothing at school.

Crass types supplement the loud casual trouser with a 'Hackett' top.

I was wasting time earlier thinking about a word. "Procrastinate". 

Then I wondered who was the guy that made that word up.

Knowing a few things about language, I figured it has to have Latin origins, just based on how it sounds. 

Assuming the prefix "pro" means something like "actively", I wonder what "crasti" means in Latin...must mean "delay" or something like it...

But if "pro" means "actively" (or something like it), the term procrastinate is a bit of a oxymoron. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

I've checked on sickipedia and there aren't any funny oxymoron jokes. Talking of language though, who decides what gender new words in other languages are, and what exactly is the **** point except to make it that much harder to learn?

• Like 1

Knowing a few things about language, I figured it has to have Latin origins, just based on how it sounds.

Assuming the prefix "pro" means something like "actively", I wonder what "crasti" means in Latin...must mean "delay" or something like it...

But if "pro" means "actively" (or something like it), the term procrastinate is a bit of a oxymoron.

I did Latin at school. 'Pro' means 'towards' or 'preferring'. 'Cras' means 'tomorrow'.

Perfectly logical construction.

• Like 1

I did Latin at school. 'Pro' means 'towards' or 'preferring'. 'Cras' means 'tomorrow'.

Perfectly logical construction.

The only neologism I can think of which got the language buffs in a bit of a lather is 'television'.

They thought that the fact that 'tele' is from the Greek and 'vision' is from the Latin made it a rather crude and vulgar coinage.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

The only neologism I can think of which got the language buffs in a bit of a lather is 'television'.

They thought that the fact that 'tele' is from the Greek and 'vision' is from the Latin made it a rather crude and vulgar coinage.

That and pluralising octopus to anything other than octipodes.

• Like 1

I know he put it off for ages before finally getting round to making it.
  • Like 2

I know he put it off for ages before finally getting round to making it.

I've been meaning to say, nice touch that it took you a day to post that.

• Like 2

ditto :)

(top marks for your timing, too - and yes, I could have waited another day to write this, but then we'd have been doing this ad infinitum, and I've some prevaricating to be on with, though maybe in a bit....).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder about the times, and they happen maybe once every ten days or so when, while awaking from a night's sleep but not fully awake, I have moments of incredible clarity of thought, usually about some major event, a historical episode or political situation. A clarity of thought far clearer than any fully awake state of mind could produce, for some reason. Does this happen to anyone else?

• Like 1

I wonder about the times, and they happen maybe once every ten days or so when, while awaking from a night's sleep but not fully awake, I have moments of incredible clarity of thought, usually about some major event, a historical episode or political situation. A clarity of thought far clearer than any fully awake state of mind could produce, for some reason. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes I have these. Usually after I sleep at a reasonable time as well. They don't last for long but there's about ten minutes of clarity.
  • Like 1

Yes this! Also sometimes in this state I come up with the most amazing tunes and melodies in my head. Guaranteed platinum sellers and I just forget them. Not that I'd be able to turn them into actual music anyway.

• Like 1

At the bottom of each thread, where it lists the users reading the topic, why are some of them in claret and italic? 

EDIT: Oooh, is it donors?

There's a really cool and exciting reason behind that. You can read about it in the "clearing in the woods" section of VT....

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â