Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

yep, works for me, wonderful pure and simple sound from that band

just add volume

in fact I'm decorating tomorrow, think I better line up a few CD's so I don't forget

That's one of the better performances I've seen of her, but I'm sorry chaps, I think Meg White is a truly awful drummer. She can't keep time for love nor money, always speeding up and slowing down. I get that the style is simplistic and there's nothing wrong with that if it's done well, but I don't rate her at all.

She's obviously self taught, and even the way she sits at the kit looks awkward. But I give her props for hanging in there. She's a perfect fit for what he does, it's all raw and sloppy, that's the sound they go for. 

Or went for, he just trashed her in an interview...

Edited by maqroll

he tends to give random interviews (they really are brother and sister / they really did get mattied on a boat up the amazon / at no point did they actually ever like each other)

it appears to be a part of the ethos of that band

I was listening to an interview 2 / 3 days ago and he says that he got her to lay down some basic backing just drum so he had something to play over, the idea being he would re do it himself later adding texture and quality and embellishing it

Trouble was, every time he tried to 'improve' it, the rough basic original was better. So he had to keep her.

Of the 17 versions, I'm taking that one as the true story. 

Probs the last post on drummers, Emi Morimoto, of Shonen Knife. Exactly the same thing again, bags of energy, nothing clever just getting the job done without being all showy and edging towards drum noodling. Saw them live recently and she was brilliant and frankly I couldn't work out how those stick thin arms kept going for song after song after song. Crazy. 

Honourable mentions to non showy drummers Daf from Super Furries, again I've been lucky enough to see him play a few times just recently and he runs the band from the back of the stage, real work ethic (between pints of wine). Lastly, old school Rick Buckler, legend.

I've also got a couple of old 50's / 60's singles of Gene Krupa if you want to hear a drummer at centre stage. Have a look at some Youtube footage of Gene and try not to think of Keith Moon, can't be done.

I've also got a couple of old 50's / 60's singles of Gene Krupa if you want to hear a drummer at centre stage. Have a look at some Youtube footage of Gene and try not to think of Keith Moon, can't be done.

Yep. Moon was a big Gene Krupa fan. 

We really should take this to one of the music threads. 

Re: Hendrix. I'm not going to stick a load of YouTube links in, because ICBA. 

But listen to: 

Red House (slow electric blues)

Hear My Train a-Comin' (acoustic blues) 

Little Wing (delicate touch, beautiful) 

Purple Haze (metal riffery) 

All Along the Watchtower (great rhythm acoustic, plus three consecutive different style solos - regular + pseudo steel + wah wah) 

Johnny B. Goode, Come On, etc. - pure rock'n'roll fun 

usBAjoA.gif

• Like 1

Back on topic:

I wonder wonder who,I wonder who.

Who.

Who put the bop in the bop de bop de bop

Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong.

Who was that man,Id like to shake his hand

The solo in stairway to heaven or the eagles hotel california?

I love both, but Hotel California for me. I remember a while back they had that two-part documentary on the Eagles and they showed some old tour footage throughout. Seeing Felder an Walsh going back and forth in that solo and the twinning up at the end was brilliant.

I switch off the radio if I hear hotel California , probably American Pie is the only song that can top it in the boredom stakes

dudeincar.gif

• Like 1

The solo in stairway to heaven or the eagles hotel california?

I love both, but Hotel California for me. I remember a while back they had that two-part documentary on the Eagles and they showed some old tour footage throughout. Seeing Felder an Walsh going back and forth in that solo and the twinning up at the end was brilliant.

I switch off the radio if I hear hotel California , probably American Pie is the only song that can top it in the boredom stakes

Hey Jude says hi

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â