Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

BOF makes some good points there, from one point of view you have Benteke banging them in and Bent missing chances like that one vs. Bradford, but at the same time you had Bent probably just missing out on Euro 2012, arguably in his prime years and last chance to really solidify a place in the national team, not only that but he's just been made captain, then get's it taken off him. I think he had more than a few reasons to have a bitch and a moan. He's basically gone from the main man to 5th choice over night.  

BOF makes some good points there, from one point of view you have Benteke banging them in and Bent missing chances like that one vs. Bradford, but at the same time you had Bent probably just missing out on Euro 2012, arguably in his prime years and last chance to really solidify a place in the national team, not only that but he's just been made captain, then get's it taken off him. I think he had more than a few reasons to have a bitch and a moan. He's basically gone from the main man to 5th choice over night.  

True.  It said a lot to me that when we were safe against Wigan when Benteke was suspended, Lambert could have gone for Gabby, Bowery or Weimann through the middle with next season in mind but was still willing to give Bent a final game.  And he scored, despite having no form to fall back on.  I think Bent was just victim to circumstance really, Lambert identified pretty quickly that we didn't have the players to supply him.  It sounds like Lambert is the kind of manager to just tell it straight to players and Bent had little reason for complaint and just got on with it.

I would like to express my appreciation to Darren Bent for his singlehandedly keeping us up the season we bought him, for his contributions since, and the professional way he's gone about his business since effectively being frozen out of the side this past season. 

So professionals are now deserving of praise for being professionals? Blimey expectations of footballers have fallen a long way.

I'm not being critical of Bent, I'm just not sure he deserves praise for in effect doing what he is paid for regardless of if he was picked or not.

Totally agree Trent. I wish i got praised for simply turning up to work and doing my job.

Totally different scenario though. No offence, but you could probably be replaced in five minutes by someone else who could do the job as good and on a cheaper salary. That goes for me too. Darren Bent has a hefty contract and whatever happens next will always change his price. He wants to play so that other clubs come in and bid for him, we want him to play well so that we get more money for him. If he scores goals he will get a higher salary somewhere else, easy as that. Contracts are tough, and numerous players are willing to stick to the bench because they earn their money no matter what. When you earn your 50K a year and do your job, well that's it. When he comes in and doesn't play, he has many ways to tell the world he is not happy with the situation. That can cause a stirr with the club, the manager, the fans, the media etc etc. All in all we could lose several millions on that particular deal, as well as bad press and unrest in the dressing room. When you and me bitch about our jobs, nobody would care a single bit and we are welcome to leave any minute. Lambert has not played Bent much and his value has fallen rapidly. This is a player that guarantees goals and for some reason we haven't played him at all, leaving him with a few cameos here and there. Strangely, this side has failed to score for most part of the season and we could have needed his goals. Sure the attacking line has scored a few in the end, but given our measly defensive record we really should have netted a few more as it indicates we have tried to attack more than a little. I doubt our goal tally is much higher than the middle places teams on the table, and we all know the goals against are horrendous. All I am saying is that we needed goals, we played Benteke way too much without resting him and Bent didn't get a chance. What did he do? Probably wondered a whole lot about the situation, like why the hell aren't I playing for a team that's lacking goals and is placed under the relegation zone, but he never bitched about it publicly. His agent didn't come out with warnings and such, he calmly waited for his chance. In the end you have to react and he somewhat did when he said he could look for other options as he wasn't given time to show his worth. Fair and square IMO. And that deserves some praise in today's footballing world when the slightest problem is given to the media and suddenly they have a field day.

I am sorry but you say nothing that makes me impressed by Darren's Bent conduct.

1st of all, the media spent half of the season having a field day about it anyway.

The vast majority of the league conduct themselves in the way Darren Bent has. It really is not unique.

He gets paid an utter fortune. An amount that is embarrassing compared with the state of the countries economy. That is not Darren Bent's fault but do not kid yourself he has ever once earn't it. He has simply turned up for work and done what he is told. I have done the same for £3.60 an hour before.

Whether it is Darren Bent or any other footballer on a monumental sum of money - anything less than the conduct Bent has shown would be an utter disgrace imo.

For me, this is half the problem why football (certainly in England) has gone the way it has. The fans perception of players is way off the mark. we Lord them for the very basics of decent human behaviour. No wonder they and their agents think they are worth millions. Footballers are vastly overrated from top to bottom. 

You seem slightly bitter that you are not a footballer sir.

What the media did, despite Darren Bent not saying anything, is their fault and obviously not his. He could have fueled the speculation if he wanted to, he didn't.

Again, your job is totally irrelevant. You do not have a special talent, nobody comes to watch you do anything. Blame the market, but his company in Aston Villa generates 90-100M in a year and he gets his paycheck based on being an employee. Argue all you want about the fairness in it, but call Adam Smith or John Maynard Keynes and they will get you into it. Running a hedge fund, being the CEO of Goldman Sachs, winning the lottery, making a chip and selling it to Apple - there are many ways to earn quick cash and that's how it is. I don't make crazy money, but what I don't do is fly around bitching about the ones who do since they don't deserve it. So my point is; Darren Bent earns a hell of a lot of money, but given our club's revenue and given that the market tells us how much a fan is willing to pay for a kit or a ticket, he earns exactly what he should earn. This is a market economy, luckily.

Football has developed the way it has, for better and for worse. The guys earn a lot of cash and most of the people watching it from the stands don't. It would be pretty naive to say "this is the least I expected of him, he deserves no praise", because we have numerous examples where players have bitched and moaned their way out of a perfectly good contract at a perfectly good team. Players are in demand all the time, they are the product after all. Suarez is making excuses to leave Liverpool because they are not winning shit, Brazilians go to Ukraine and Russia just to earn big money, others go on strike and some offer ultimatums to get double their money after one good season. Yes the common footballer should really understand that he is insanely lucky compared to the common man working somewhere else, earning what they do in half a week, but Darren Bent has not done anything like this. He has kept his mouth shut and been a gentleman of sorts. 9 out 10 players of his calibre would do something to cause his way out but he has just waited for the summer to see what happens. In today's climate, with players like Joey Barton, Suarez, Balotelli et al - he deserves praise for just showing up for work, like you put it.

• Like 2

I would like to express my appreciation to Darren Bent for his singlehandedly keeping us up the season we bought him, for his contributions since, and the professional way he's gone about his business since effectively being frozen out of the side this past season. 

So professionals are now deserving of praise for being professionals? Blimey expectations of footballers have fallen a long way.

I'm not being critical of Bent, I'm just not sure he deserves praise for in effect doing what he is paid for regardless of if he was picked or not.

Totally agree Trent. I wish i got praised for simply turning up to work and doing my job.

Totally different scenario though. No offence, but you could probably be replaced in five minutes by someone else who could do the job as good and on a cheaper salary. That goes for me too. Darren Bent has a hefty contract and whatever happens next will always change his price. He wants to play so that other clubs come in and bid for him, we want him to play well so that we get more money for him. If he scores goals he will get a higher salary somewhere else, easy as that. Contracts are tough, and numerous players are willing to stick to the bench because they earn their money no matter what. When you earn your 50K a year and do your job, well that's it. When he comes in and doesn't play, he has many ways to tell the world he is not happy with the situation. That can cause a stirr with the club, the manager, the fans, the media etc etc. All in all we could lose several millions on that particular deal, as well as bad press and unrest in the dressing room. When you and me bitch about our jobs, nobody would care a single bit and we are welcome to leave any minute. Lambert has not played Bent much and his value has fallen rapidly. This is a player that guarantees goals and for some reason we haven't played him at all, leaving him with a few cameos here and there. Strangely, this side has failed to score for most part of the season and we could have needed his goals. Sure the attacking line has scored a few in the end, but given our measly defensive record we really should have netted a few more as it indicates we have tried to attack more than a little. I doubt our goal tally is much higher than the middle places teams on the table, and we all know the goals against are horrendous. All I am saying is that we needed goals, we played Benteke way too much without resting him and Bent didn't get a chance. What did he do? Probably wondered a whole lot about the situation, like why the hell aren't I playing for a team that's lacking goals and is placed under the relegation zone, but he never bitched about it publicly. His agent didn't come out with warnings and such, he calmly waited for his chance. In the end you have to react and he somewhat did when he said he could look for other options as he wasn't given time to show his worth. Fair and square IMO. And that deserves some praise in today's footballing world when the slightest problem is given to the media and suddenly they have a field day.

I am sorry but you say nothing that makes me impressed by Darren's Bent conduct.

1st of all, the media spent half of the season having a field day about it anyway.

The vast majority of the league conduct themselves in the way Darren Bent has. It really is not unique.

He gets paid an utter fortune. An amount that is embarrassing compared with the state of the countries economy. That is not Darren Bent's fault but do not kid yourself he has ever once earn't it. He has simply turned up for work and done what he is told. I have done the same for £3.60 an hour before.

Whether it is Darren Bent or any other footballer on a monumental sum of money - anything less than the conduct Bent has shown would be an utter disgrace imo.

For me, this is half the problem why football (certainly in England) has gone the way it has. The fans perception of players is way off the mark. we Lord them for the very basics of decent human behaviour. No wonder they and their agents think they are worth millions. Footballers are vastly overrated from top to bottom. 

What the media did, despite Darren Bent not saying anything, is their fault and obviously not his. He could have fueled the speculation if he wanted to, he didn't.

Again, your job is totally irrelevant. You do not have a special talent, nobody comes to watch you do anything. Blame the market, but his company in Aston Villa generates 90-100M in a year and he gets his paycheck based on being an employee. Argue all you want about the fairness in it, but call Adam Smith or John Maynard Keynes and they will get you into it. Running a hedge fund, being the CEO of Goldman Sachs, winning the lottery, making a chip and selling it to Apple - there are many ways to earn quick cash and that's how it is. I don't make crazy money, but what I don't do is fly around bitching about the ones who do since they don't deserve it. So my point is; Darren Bent earns a hell of a lot of money, but given our club's revenue and given that the market tells us how much a fan is willing to pay for a kit or a ticket, he earns exactly what he should earn. This is a market economy, luckily.

Football has developed the way it has, for better and for worse. The guys earn a lot of cash and most of the people watching it from the stands don't. It would be pretty naive to say "this is the least I expected of him, he deserves no praise", because we have numerous examples where players have bitched and moaned their way out of a perfectly good contract at a perfectly good team. Players are in demand all the time, they are the product after all. Suarez is making excuses to leave Liverpool because they are not winning shit, Brazilians go to Ukraine and Russia just to earn big money, others go on strike and some offer ultimatums to get double their money after one good season. Yes the common footballer should really understand that he is insanely lucky compared to the common man working somewhere else, earning what they do in half a week, but Darren Bent has not done anything like this. He has kept his mouth shut and been a gentleman of sorts. 9 out 10 players of his calibre would do something to cause his way out but he has just waited for the summer to see what happens. In today's climate, with players like Joey Barton, Suarez, Balotelli et al - he deserves praise for just showing up for work, like you put it.

Wished I had written this post........................Quality from start to finish!

Put's the whole world & Darren Bent's situation eloquently into perspective.

Disagree again. Not being a dick does not deserve praise. Perhaps it is a sad indictment of footballers / people in general that expectations are so bowel-emptyingly low but all the same i see no reason on the facts available alone to be other than neutral towards bent

• Like 2

Disagree again. Not being a dick does not deserve praise. Perhaps it is a sad indictment of footballers / people in general that expectations are so bowel-emptyingly low but all the same i see no reason on the facts available alone to be other than neutral towards bent

Agree with this.

Neutral is exactly the stance that I think is appropriate in this scenario. Throwing your toys out of the pram at the first opportunity shouldn't be the status quo for footballers. Bent has acted with dignity, but no more so than you'd expect from any self respecting individual.

I just simply do not get this.

Im not bitter for not being a footballer btw. I wanted to be a footballer but I have a job where the intrinsic rewards are far greater than any footballer could comprehend imo.

You say he didnt say anything to entice media attention? he didnt tell the papers what a crappy 2 weeks he had had in October then??

Also I would argue this.

- Rather than praise footballers for not acting like arseholes, why are we not making sure the arseholes are dealt with properly. Why hasnt Luis Suarez been sacked? I would have. Why hasnt Steven Gerrard been sacked for being caught on camera assaulting somebody. Same with Joey barton.

Catch a police officer off duty brawling - see what happens to him. He would be sacked!

And you know what, your absolutely right. Nobody comes to watch me at work like they do bent and Suarez and that makes there conduct even more important. It makes it even more important that Luis Suarez is sacked and is helped in the appropriate ways by professionals.

These people are protected. Protected by powers that we could never dream of being protected by. Ridiculous praise when it is undeserved only adds to that protection.

We should not praise people for not acting like Suarez. Suarez should be dealt with properly.

So what's the issue here? Are people annoyed at Bent or just annoyed that some aren't annoyed at him?

I think people seem to be misunderstanding why the praise is going Bent's way. The guy has basically been froze out of the team this season through no fault of his own. Good performances by Benteke and not having players to support Bent.

He actually had a right to moan, if you started getting treated like crap at work through no fault of your own, just due to poor circumstance then wouldn't you moan? Most people would.

Bent also deserves our praise merely for keeping us up that one season. Yes we're losing a lot of money from the sale now but damn that money was well spent just to keep us afloat lol

So what's the issue here? Are people annoyed at Bent or just annoyed that some aren't annoyed at him?

I think people seem to be misunderstanding why the praise is going Bent's way. The guy has basically been froze out of the team this season through no fault of his own. Good performances by Benteke and not having players to support Bent.

He actually had a right to moan, if you started getting treated like crap at work through no fault of your own, just due to poor circumstance then wouldn't you moan? Most people would.

Bent also deserves our praise merely for keeping us up that one season. Yes we're losing a lot of money from the sale now but damn that money was well spent just to keep us afloat lol

The issue is that people are praising him - not not being annoyed at him.

Darren bent played no part in being frozen out of the team? He wasn't shite at the start of the season then? Something obviously broke down. Bent was made captain and then a few weeks later he was nowhere near the team. That just simply would not happen if nothing had happened?

What was his reason to moan? Lambert playing a far better player? He also did moan - at times to the media. So I am pretty sure he knocked on Lamberts door too?

Yes he does deserve praise for helping keep us up. He has received plenty of praise for that. It was over 2 years ago. He hasnt done anything really of note since.

For instance Papillon

We praise footballers for not diving? What? Well done son, your not cheating.

Some people cheat the tax system. Where is my praise for not cheating the tax system?

You've taken it to a new level fella - defo some issues with footballers, no doubt about that. The comparisons are getting silly.

For instance Papillon

We praise footballers for not diving? What? Well done son, your not cheating.

Some people cheat the tax system. Where is my praise for not cheating the tax system?

You've taken it to a new level fella - defo some issues with footballers, no doubt about that. The comparisons are getting silly.

What does it matter what level it is at? 

My point is simple. You wouldnt give praise to somebody not doing something that if they did, they would be criticised.

I actually want Bent to stay. I know I'm probably in the minority but, I truly believe he can still contribute to AVFC. He's a proven goalscorer, I think last year he was also a little unlucky at times. The formation didn't help. We were very inconsistent for a large parts of the season and as a result he had very little supply. Then when we finally started to play some decent football he unfortunately got injured.

I realise he'll most likely end up going anyway. His massive wages, could be used to strengthen the squad, but 18 months ago he was our saviour, I like to think he could be again. 

I actually want Bent to stay. I know I'm probably in the minority but, I truly believe he can still contribute to AVFC. He's a proven goalscorer, I think last year he was also a little unlucky at times. The formation didn't help. We were very inconsistent for a large parts of the season and as a result he had very little supply. Then when we finally started to play some decent football he unfortunately got injured.

I realise he'll most likely end up going anyway. His massive wages, could be used to strengthen the squad, but 18 months ago he was our saviour, I like to think he could be again. 

Spot on mate. I would be delighted if he was here next season. Having lethal poacher like him in your team pushing for spots is a good thing. I like Lambert but I do wish he would have tried harder to integrate Bent into his style last season.

Reading the first few pages reminds me why the current state of this thread would've been unthinkable back then. I hope he finds a team where he can play regularly. Would love to see him at the world cup as he deserves it after his horrible luck. Not to mention he's better than all the crap that masquerade as English strikers.

Reading the first few pages reminds me why the current state of this thread would've been unthinkable back then. I hope he finds a team where he can play regularly. Would love to see him at the world cup as he deserves it after his horrible luck. Not to mention he's better than all the crap that masquerade as English strikers.

I agree. How the likes of Carroll, Defoe and Welbeck get called up ahead of him (and Gabby) is baffling.

I really wish him well in his career after Villa. He's always had a good scoring record wherever he's been.

I would just like to praise Benteke for not biting anyone, Vlaar for not racially abusing anyone and Lambert for not opening any off shore bank accounts in the name of his pets.

And I want to praise you Trent for that Avatar! Totally of topic by the way :)

• Like 1

I would just like to praise Benteke for not biting anyone, Vlaar for not racially abusing anyone and Lambert for not opening any off shore bank accounts in the name of his pets.

And I want to praise you Trent for that Avatar! Totally of topic by the way :)

& I want to praise you too Eric because?................Well?.......................Look! I just want to praise you :)

Totally off topic by the way :)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â