Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

That or they cant speak to managers currently attached to a club. So wait for 2 weeks after the end of the season. Cut Houllier out and bring in a replacement instantly = good business.

Sack houllier now, try and talk to managers, who still have a job to do and get pissed off with the club, so stay where they are. Spend a month without a manager before bringing in somebody half-hearted and shit = lose our players and look like a shitly run club.

What so trying to recruit a manager while GH is still in post - is easier than sacking him and then bringing in a replacement ?

I didnt say do it behind GH's back as he will no doubt already know what is going on. What im saying is before they announce GH's departure to the world, they should have already atleast contacted managers as to get a replacement in ASAP. Or do you believe we live in a world where the clubs will tell fans everything instantly. It's certainly the feeling i get from some people on here, that we will know anything as soon as it happens.

How do you know they won't use those poor headhunters again seeing as the board have no football knowledge between them? If they do use them, it would take another month and we'll no doubt end up someone like Curbs, which would be embarassing.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point did i talk about how they go about making the decision of which manager? I didnt. I dont understand your need to just take your cynicism and negativity an extra step every single time somebody disagrees with you. Go on, throw a random negative quote and randomly use the word 'ambition' out of context again.. Sigh.

I presume they will use headhunters to draw up a list, but I still dont get how people are bitching about decisions the board haven't made yet. It's pointless.

At what point did i talk about how they go about making the decision of which manager? I didnt. I dont understand your need to just take your cynicism and negativity an extra step every single time somebody disagrees with you. Go on, throw a random negative quote and randomly use the word 'ambition' out of context again.. Sigh.

I presume they will use headhunters to draw up a list, but I still dont get how people are bitching about decisions the board haven't made yet. It's pointless.

How on earth is it 'pointless' discussing things that might well happen? By your logic, it's also 'pointless' for everyone to speculate on who our next manager and players are gonna be for next season. :)

You can't honestly expect me to have total confidence on their ability when they took a month to find a manager who couldn't even make it to the first game. This was their very first appointment and they've already gotten it wrong. That's bad judgement, so I'm sorry if I don't have total confidence in them at the moment. But that's not being negative. That's being realistic. Being negative is something like they got us a brilliant manager who won us trophies and then doubting their next appointment. That's flat out negativity.

No i didnt say its pointless to speculate. I said its pointless to moan about something that hasnt happened yet. Bitching about us using the agency again and taking Curbishley as manager. You say these things but these weird little moans make up your whole negative slant on your posts. but often, the things your talkign about haven't happened. It's just the most negative thing you could have thought of and then used it as the basis to moan about something.

For me its just not the manager that needs changing, it seems that our board have little or no knowledge of english football, and i believe this also don't help and will proberly explain why MoN has free run of the club.

I think PF should also step down and Randy bring in someone with experience of the job.

I'm not sure what he's doing currently but we couldnt go wrong with a david dein in our board room.

Hopefully come the summer the whole of AVFC is overhauled and no stone is unturned and blame is placed at the appropiate doors and action is taken.

That goes for Players, Manager, Assistant's and board room level.

If we stick as we are then next year is gonna be more of the same, except this time i don't think we'll get out of it.

Good point on Ancelloti.

If the club have got the ambition they say they have then we should be short listing managers of the following calibre: Martin Jol, David Moyes, Ancelloti w/ Wilkins, Paul Lambert (bottom of the pile but as a gamble).

And while we're at it why not offer Mourinho the job - it's well known that he wants to return to England and to work on a long term project with a club in the Premier League - why not sound him out and break the bank for him! The worst that could happen is that he'd say No!

The probable list I fear though is more along the lines of Rafael Benitez, Allardyce, Curbishley et al.

My big worry is Benitez, yes he probably has the best CV of anyone out of work and undoubtedly has achieved a lot in football but I just don't see how he would 'fit' with Aston Villa Football Club. Appointing Benitez would almost certainly end in tears.

Please Randy do not appoint Benitez. He was effectively sacked by Liverpool and Inter Milan so why would he be successful at Villa?. Some of his last signings were poor, he constantly changed the team and employed negative tactics.

We do not want another Liverpool reject. Collymore, Baros and Houllier is enough for any club. None of them have been any good and Benitez would be the same.

However, as he is out of work and it would not upset any other club if we employed him, I fear this is the option we will take.

I agree with Mark Draper (Tim), why not offer it to Jose. He is probably fed up with all the politics at RM and might relish the challenge of turning a club like Villa into a real force again.

No i didnt say its pointless to speculate. I said its pointless to moan about something that hasnt happened yet. Bitching about us using the agency again and taking Curbishley as manager. You say these things but these weird little moans make up your whole negative slant on your posts. but often, the things your talkign about haven't happened. It's just the most negative thing you could have thought of and then used it as the basis to moan about something.

Curbishley could be a likely candiate though. That's the thing. I'm not moaning, I'm being realistic thinking we'll get someone like that. It's better than being delusional and thinking we'll get someone insane like Andre Villas Boas.

Sometimes it's best not to set your sights high, then you won't be let down. :winkold:

ancelloti? mourinho?

what the f... are you lot smoking? ancelloti wants to win more champions leagues, as does mourinho, avfc may not be the ideal club to do that with right now...

I agree with Mark Draper (Tim), why not offer it to Jose. He is probably fed up with all the politics at RM and might relish the challenge of turning a club like Villa into a real force again.

What does 'Tim' mean? :?

Think we should start a Mourinho to Villa campaign :D

What does 'Tim' mean? :?

Think we should start a Mourinho to Villa campaign :D

That was Draper's nickname at Villa. Tim - nice but dim.

ancelloti? mourinho?

what the f... are you lot smoking? ancelloti wants to win more champions leagues, as does mourinho, avfc may not be the ideal club to do that with right now...

I honestly don't think Mourinho is that far fetched. It's fact that he wants to return to England and the Man Utd job isn't free any time soon...neither is arsenal. Chelsea he won't go back to so the only really feasible clubs left are spurs and man city. If he was offered the Villa job with a sizeable wage (sticking issue) then I'm sure he'd consider it at least. Trouble is I cant see the board having the ambition to even think about approaching him let alone offering enough in terms of wages and transfer kitty.

But Curbishley is unrealistic. It's just as pessimistic as thinking we'll get Villas Boas is optimistic.

How on earth is Curbs unrealistic when he was interviewed this season? The board may still be interested in him now GH looks to be going. How is it likely Villas Boas will join when his already looking to be one of the best managers in the world who'll surely be attracted by one of the big CL teams? :?

ancelloti? mourinho?

I honestly don't think Mourinho is that far fetched. It's fact that he wants to return to England and the Man Utd job isn't free any time soon...neither is arsenal. Chelsea he won't go back to so the only really feasible clubs left are spurs and man city. If he was offered the Villa job with a sizeable wage (sticking issue) then I'm sure he'd consider it at least. Trouble is I cant see the board having the ambition to even think about approaching him let alone offering enough in terms of wages and transfer kitty.

i want some of what your on

But Curbishley is unrealistic. It's just as pessimistic as thinking we'll get Villas Boas is optimistic.

How on earth is Curbs unrealistic when he was interviewed this season? The board may still be interested in him now GH looks to be going. How is it likely Villas Boas will join when his already looking to be one of the best managers in the world who'll surely be attracted by one of the big CL teams? :?

Was he actually interviewed or is that just rumour? Regardless of that, it's not very likely Cubrishley will be appointed over the summer. It's much more likely that we'll get Hughes, Benitez, Jol, Moyes, Allardyce or even Houllier staying on.

I never said it was likely that we'd get Villas Boas. :| In fact, I specifically said it was unrealistic when I said it's unrealistic to expect Curbishley and that thinking we'll get Curbishely is being just as pessimistic as expecting to get Villas Boas is optimistic. Seriously, do you do this on purpose?

ancelloti? mourinho?

i want some of what your on

Crack cocaine, I swear by it.

Seriously though is not worth an approach? How are we going to ever improve if we dont show some ambition. Think of the scenes at Villa Park the day O'Neill was appointed...now imagine for a second what it would be like if Jose was appointed!

Is it wrong to dream a dream? :D

Don't care how much it costs, but get Ray Wilkins in. Not as manager but he needs to be involved someone within the backroom staff

Good bloke - but to much of a dyed in the wool cockney for me

No coincidence Chelsea were a flop and dropped a lot of points after he left. They have recently got back to form but are far, far away from the team they used to be when RW was around.

Was he actually interviewed or is that just rumour? Regardless of that, it's not very likely Cubrishley will be appointed over the summer. It's much more likely that we'll get Hughes, Benitez, Jol, Moyes, Allardyce or even Houllier staying on.

I never said it was likely that we'd get Villas Boas. :| In fact, I specifically said it was unrealistic when I said it's unrealistic to expect Curbishley and that thinking we'll get Curbishely is being just as pessimistic as expecting to get Villas Boas is optimistic. Seriously, do you do this on purpose?

You basically said that Curbs was unrealistic when there's much chance of him coming than Villas Boas. You didn't actually say it was impossible and vice-versa towards the Porto manager. Curbs is still realistic because the club was interested enough to give him an interview and they may seem as the next best thing after GH. Villas Boas? No chance. Why on earth would he come to us anyway?

I'm not doing nothing on purpose. You seem to have this habit by telling people "I never said this or that" when you expect them to follow your every word when your sentences are implied that way. You certainly didn't dismiss that both managers were impossible to get, so I used the word likely, which I saw fit into the discussion.

You basically said that Curbs was unrealistic when there's much chance of him coming than Villas Boas. You didn't actually say it was impossible and vice-versa towards the Porto manager. Curbs is still realistic because the club was interested enough to give him an interview and they may seem as the next best thing after GH. Villas Boas? No chance. Why on earth would he come to us anyway?

I'm not doing nothing on purpose. You seem to have this habit by telling people "I never said this or that" when you expect them to follow your every word when your sentences are implied that way. You certainly didn't dismiss that both managers were impossible to get, so I used the word likely, which I saw fit into the discussion.

IMO Curbishley is unrealstic - same as Villas Boas.

Habit? You put words into my mouth that weren't there when you said "how is it likely we'll get Villas Boas?" when I never said anything like that, quite the opposite in fact.

ancelloti? mourinho?

Sorry to pull you up mate, you're not the only guilty poster by any means, but I'm afraid to say that this post is typical of the sort of person who questions the ambition of the board whilst having a perception of reality that is based entirely on wishful thinking and is of no relevance to Aston Villa.

If you think Mourinho would be interested in leaving Madrid to join the Villla, you're always going to be disappointed in the 'ambition' of the board, and probably the achievements of the club.

Cloud cuckoo land.