Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Houllier out, Anyone in

Agree.

But more specifically, Hughton in the short term.

Completely agree. Had totally forgotten him. He'd be a perfect short-term solution. Think he did a decent job at Newcastle this season and was unfairly sacked.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The supporters are the only people associated with Aston Villa who can stand with their heads held high knowing they had **** all to do with the shambles on the pitch.
While the supporters have nothing to do with what's happening on the pitch or behind the scenes I don't feel we can hold our heads high, not if some of our fans carry on creating a negative atmosphere before and during games instead of focusing on supporting the team during a relegation fight. Even worse, some of our "fans" have simply decided to jump ship.

How do you mean 'jump ship'?

For the vast majority of the game the fans were behind the team. Only at the subbing of Albrighton and at the end did the fans show displeasure with Houllier

The amount of people I've seen saying "I've been a season ticket holder for 20 years but until Houllier goes the club are not getting a cent out of me", or something to that affect.

I thought the support on Saturday was pretty poor. The banner before the game was pathetic (although that was only a couple of dickheads obviously) and to me the support didn't sound very vocal, then again I was in the North Stand lower so I had the Wolves fans right next to me. The chanting for Agbonlahor I didn't agree with, followed by the chanting for Albrighton once Agbonlahor came on for him, followed by the "you don't know what you're doing" chants. It just seemed like we as a crowd were more interested in voicing our displeasure at the manager or substitutions than supporting the team who were only 1-0 down.

Well folks can spend their money on what they want. I've never believed in having to 'clock on' supporting the Villa.

as for the crowd, I thought we were par for the course. I'm near the away fans in M1.

They can, but the ones jumping ship because of Houllier or our league position can stay away and not bother coming back. You support a team through thick and thin.

As for the ones creating a negative vibe, I just really don't agree with it. I think it's counter-productive.

They can, but the ones jumping ship because of Houllier or our league position can stay away and not bother coming back. You support a team through thick and thin.

As for the ones creating a negative vibe, I just really don't agree with it. I think it's counter-productive.

Getting angry at something is rarely a positive thing, rather a natural reaction to something that we disagree with. Saturdays atmosphere was such a reaction, not a co-ordinated attack by a section of fans, just people reacting to what they were seeing. You simply can't expect people not to react in this way.

Houllier out, Anyone in

Agree.

But more specifically, Hughton in the short term.

Shillzz is your question to the general serious???

I ask as you dont normally talk garbage!! :D

:lol: Was trying to be funny but maybe I dont have Gareth RDR's penchant for Internet humour.

I dont do the boo boo stuff (yogi) or sing 'you dont know what your doing' but it goes on all over the country.

Its anyones prerogative to support or withdraw support. If one Saturday it came down to Liz Hurley or the Villa .....hey :D

His spoof on twitter is cracking.

Did you see the ones when he got the sack... :D:D brilliant.

'and I'd just ordered sky multiroom too'

They are, they dont seem to waiver with the sheer amount of them that get churned out either.

Now its always nice for that atmosphere to be positive, but should (not could) fans NOT making a pleasant atmosphere make players on 50grand a week give anything other than 100%

I see what you mean. But here's my thinking. Things are clearly not all rosey behind the scenes at VP. Some players are not happy, the team is down the league and some of the players are very young inexperienced players experiencing Premier League for the first time this season and need to know we're with them.

The players are only human and particularly the young players in their first season will be affected by events on and off the pitch far moreso than others will be. That's where we come in. It goes back to the whole fact that home advantage does exist even though it's a grass pitch and the same opposition that you would face on an away day. Perhaps you're right and players should not be affected by the lack of an atmosphere but the fact is that they are - every team is, in every sport.

In the same way that players should not be affected by the level of opposition, but they are. They raise their game, or not as the case may be.

The margins for success and failure at this level are minute; as evidenced by the majority of our squad going from 6th, 6th, 6th to 14th this season. If we can give them some confidence and belief then why not. Everyone benefits from it. Even if as you say, they shouldn't really need more than their pay cheque as motivation.

All fair points Bof, however, what do you think to the possibility that constant support (no matter what) could lead to some players carrying on taking the piss out of clubs re wages

I think it would be a mistake to get rid now.We have enough big named players to carry us through till summer, let GH get in Taiwo, and Sissoko, and then get Coyle in.

I hope you're joking. Remember what happened this season when we signed Ireland after getting rid of the manager. The last thing we need is another pre-season when we sign players that our recently sacked manager wanted and the new one might not. Get a new man in now, give him 8 games to assess the WHOLE squad and then let him have the pre-season to sort everything out.

Houllier has no backing from our current players despite recent reports, which is easy to see from our performances. The best thing is to try and sort out the short-term now. I would love GH's long-term vision to come true however if it means spending a season (or more) in the Championship then I am out. Our club would be decimated if we went down and RL would probably look to sell up and move on.

For me the pro's of sacking GH far outweigh the cons and we stand as much, if not more chance, of going down with him "in charge" than sacking him and replacing him with Jol or Benitez.

All fair points Bof, however, what do you think to the possibility that constant support (no matter what) could lead to some players carrying on taking the piss out of clubs re wages
This is where post-match protesting/chanting comes in, I think. If we've given them great support and they're still not putting in the effort then they need to be told after the event.

But I don't think they've been getting all that they could get. In my experience (and I know this isn't unique to Villa and my experience is limited compared to many on here) it has often appeared as though thre fans take the approach that the onus is on the team to give the fans something to cheer about, rather than the fans taking it upon themselves to try and get the team going in the first place. It's a 2-way thing. Both of the above should happen but I've far more often seen fans sit on their hands and wait for inspiration from the team rather than get something going.

Just received a worrying text and do not shoot the messenger but bets have been suspended for Gareth Southgate to be next manager. Only thing i'd want him in for is defensive coach.
Really can't see it.

Just received a worrying text and do not shoot the messenger but bets have been suspended for Gareth Southgate to be next manager. Only thing i'd want him in for is defensive coach.
Really can't see it.

Neither could I. Not as first team manager. Maybe to come in as a member of the coaching staff but not as manager. I'd be pissed off if it was true though.

I think we need to be a bit more realistic, if we're to sack houllier now the man coming in is not going to be the man to build a legacy or push for top 4. If houllier is sacked the next man needs to keep us up and make sure we're not in a relegation battle next year. It might not be a fashionable name or one who will get us top 4 but right now our short term goals have changed. We can bring in this top manager once we're steady in this league again.

I am hoping against hope really that the reason he has not been sacked yet is that the board are lining up a successor already so there is very little gap between Houllier leaving and the new bloke starting

Like I say it is hope against hope as I do not see them getting shot of him and for me that means we are down

I think it would be a mistake to get rid now.We have enough big named players to carry us through till summer, let GH get in Taiwo, and Sissoko, and then get Coyle in.

I hope you're joking. Remember what happened this season when we signed Ireland after getting rid of the manager. The last thing we need is another pre-season when we sign players that our recently sacked manager wanted and the new one might not. Get a new man in now, give him 8 games to assess the WHOLE squad and then let him have the pre-season to sort everything out.

Houllier has no backing from our current players despite recent reports, which is easy to see from our performances. The best thing is to try and sort out the short-term now. I would love GH's long-term vision to come true however if it means spending a season (or more) in the Championship then I am out. Our club would be decimated if we went down and RL would probably look to sell up and move on.

For me the pro's of sacking GH far outweigh the cons and we stand as much, if not more chance, of going down with him "in charge" than sacking him and replacing him with Jol or Benitez.

Hard to disagree with any of that.