The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Just read an article (with pictures) of IS throwing gay men off 8 story buildings. Also there was a woman stoned to death. And two blokes being crucified for theft. Really wish I hadn't looked at it. You don't actually see any blood or anything in the pictures but it's so disturbing. 

It's **** nutts. 

How can shit like this still happen in 2015? 

Edited by PieFacE

It is the banal that keeps us interested. A roll call of the dead in their thousands becomes numbing and everyday, but little pieces of crazy detail keep us alert.

The one that got me the other day was that they had banned coloured pens and pencils. Apparently god only wants us to write in black or blue.

• Like 1

Guardian piece on Houthi motives

The Houthis, who hail from Yemen’s northern Sa’ada province, get their name from their late leader, Hussein Badruddin Houthi, and are now led by his brother Abdulmalik Houthi, a charismatic figure who is often compared to Hassan Nasrallah of the militant Lebanese organisation Hezbollah. The Houthis have been fighting the Yemeni central government since 2004, when the movement was founded to strengthen the rights of the Zaidi sect – who represent between 20-30% of Yemen’s population – and challenge what was seen as the pro-American stance of the country’s veteran president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, after the 9/11 attacks.

Understanding Houthi motives is complicated by the fact they have been supported by Iran, largely as a way of annoying Tehran’s regional rivals and Yemen’s larger neighbour, Saudi Arabia. But experts argue the conflict is fundamentally a political and tribal one rather than sectarian – in a country which has no tradition of Sunni-Shia animosity.

Western leaders displaying their hypocrisy yet again by falling over each other in praising King Abdullah. 

Isn't that just the polite thing to do ,same way when people die nobody every comes out on Sky News and says he / she was  word removed and I hated him / her  ( possibly apart from Joan Rivers)

I got the impression he was quite a reformer for a dictator monarch though  .. his persecution of the Ahmadi religion and his human rights record may not be flawless  .. but find me a country whose is

Western leaders displaying their hypocrisy yet again by falling over each other in praising King Abdullah.

Isn't that just the polite thing to do ,same way when people die nobody every comes out on Sky News and says he / she was word removed and I hated him / her ( possibly apart from Joan Rivers)

Sometimes

• Like 1

A bit off-topic, but I wonder if the Queen has ever taken a driving test? Like her madge, my late auntie (died last year, aged 94) was an army truck driver during the war. Got shown how to do it and given an army licence - which was then legally valid in civvy street. She was a terrible driver. Might be the same for HRH.

Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â