The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Al Jazeera:

Robert Turner, the UNRWA director in Gaza, said there was no warning from the Israelis about the attack on the school in Beit Hanoun. 

He said they were in contact with Israeli forces about a window to evacuate the school before the attack happened. 

"This is a designated emergency shelter,” he said.

“The location was conveyed to the Israelis.

“This is the fourth strike on our installations in three days.”

He said he had no information that there was military activity around the school.

"This was an installation we were managing, that monitored [to ensure] that our neutrality was maintained.

“We always call on all parties to ensure that civilians are not harmed."

by Graeme Baker 2:17 PM

There was a very interesting debate on Radio 2 at around 12.30 today, you might be able to catch it on Listen again. It featured a female British Jewish journalist (Emma something I didn't catch her name) who has written and article for one of the broadsheets about what she claims is the rise of anti-semitic rhetoric and the use of 'Jewish' instead of 'Israeli' in peoples condemnation of the actions in Gaza. And Alexei Sayle who I'm sure needs no introductions, who is also Jewish.

Very much worth a listen.

In the resulting phone in I particularly liked when one caller tried to claim that being Jewish was a religion, that it wasn't a nationality or ethnicity. But then was completely stumped when Vine said 'In that case someone can convert and become Jewish', he couldn't backtrack or agree with him, he was stumped.

In the resulting phone in I particularly liked when one caller tried to claim that being Jewish was a religion, that it wasn't a nationality or ethnicity. But then was completely stumped when Vine said 'In that case someone can convert and become Jewish', he couldn't backtrack or agree with him, he was stumped.

Trent, I'm confused here - who was stumped, the caller? Vine (the host?), the journalist, Sayle?

What did Alexi Sayle say?

Called her article lazy and snide, says she uses the Israeli tactic of equating any criticism of Israel with antisemitism.  Talks about the Israeli kids screaming out "death to arabs".  He condemns antisemitism, and fundamentalism.  Accuses her of supporting the Israeli government's murder of children.

Trent, I'm confused here - who was stumped, the caller? Vine (the host?), the journalist, Sayle?

Vine was the host and the caller was a member of the public phoning in after the debate.

What did Alexi Sayle say?

Called her article lazy and snide, says she uses the Israeli tactic of equating any criticism of Israel with antisemitism.  Talks about the Israeli kids screaming out "death to arabs".  He condemns antisemitism, and fundamentalism.  Accuses her of supporting the Israeli government's murder of children.

Yeah about covers it. I thought she did a very good job of making her case (not that I agreed) and then, well he started talking and hammered her.

Vine was the host and the caller was a member of the public phoning in after the debate.

So the caller said it was a religion, not a nationality or ethnicity - Vine agreed by saying you can convert to become Jewish and someone was stumped. Sorry, I still don't get it - I'm not following the logic.

• Like 1

So the caller said it was a religion, not a nationality or ethnicity - Vine agreed by saying you can convert to become Jewish and someone was stumped. Sorry, I still don't get it - I'm not following the logic.

I was confused by this too but didn't want to say anything I case I was being dumb.

Just to take this away for a minute from firing artillery at children in UN shelters... ISIS in Iraq have ordered the entire female population of Mosul to undergo female genital mutilation - potentially affecting 4 million women and girls. Hopefully it might go someway to turning the local Sunni tribes against them.

Now, back to the courage and professionalism of the IDF - the words removed.

Just to take this away for a minute from firing artillery at children in UN shelters... ISIS in Iraq have ordered the entire female population of Mosul to undergo female genital mutilation - potentially affecting 4 million women and girls. Hopefully it might go someway to turning the local Sunni tribes against them.

Now come on AWOL, I think you are being hugely unfair on ISIS it isn't all women just those between the ages of 11 & 46 the mad, evil sods.

Where did you hear this? Maybe it's common practise in certain Islamic countries?

Edit: just had a quick read and I see it's more common in Africa. I don't think ISIS would order this.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Where did you hear this? Maybe it's common practise in certain Islamic countries?
It's on sky news, and it's not common practice in the Muslim world, the cultural root of the practice is actually in Africa and occurs in Muslim and Christian minority countries.

Maybe ISIS have got bored with crucifying and stoning people to death and fancy something new to keep them entertained.

Edit: majority not minority.

Edited by Awol

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â