Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Baker's main problem is his lack of pace. That was exposed awfully last season by Luna being everywhere in the pitch except where he was supposed to be often leaving Baker exposed. Sitting back with a solid back 4 suited him to a tee yesterday.

• Like 1

Baker's main problem is his lack of pace. That was exposed awfully last season by Luna being everywhere in the pitch except where he was supposed to be often leaving Baker exposed. Sitting back with a solid back 4 suited him to a tee yesterday.

This is how he should have been blooded really. I still think he'll turn out to be a handy CB - he's got the potential and some good characteristics to be refined and shaped accordingly.

I think Baker's main problem is his occasional lack of concentration, closely followed by the odd rash tackles. There are lots of slow defenders in the league who manage to play strikers offside, or get in last ditch tackles, despite their lack of pace.

I don't get this. He deserves all the criticism he got. He has been poor since he joined the team. The stats show that, and our own views can see that.

Lambert wouldn't have signed Sendros otherwise.

Baker has the potential to become a decent centre back but I do not think he has improved at the rate he should have given the amount of PL games under his belt. Exact could be said for Clark.

The game suited him yesterday as we sat deep and needed body's on the line type defending. Where what we need is the cultured defender who doesn't dive in and is comfortable with the ball at their feet.

I wouldn't ship him out but he wouldn't be first team should sendros, vlaar n okre be fully fit

• Like 1

Baker has never looked that out of place with an experienced head next to him.  It's the car crash of a partnership him and Clark had that makes him so derided.

Still surprised me with how good he was yesterday although Senderos was his equal.

Baker has never looked that out of place with an experienced head next to him. It's the car crash of a partnership him and Clark had that makes him so derided.

Still surprised me with how good he was yesterday although Senderos was his equal.

Agreed. Quite a few of us have been saying that for a while. Him and Clark both suffer from clanger-itis, but they're now playing with better players around them (well, Baker is), which helps to stop the silly moments.

Wheres all his critics today?

MOM yday, a young lad who always gives 100%, might not be the best, but certainly not as bad as some on here seem to think.Game was made for him yday tbh, but his interception just before H/T was crucial.

Well played.

A lot are in this thread saying good game.  :thumb:

I've been one of the few to stick up for Baker and hence I'm pleased to see him do well against Liverpool.

As someone has incorrectly stated Baker hasn't been poor since he's been in the team because he has been at times excellent like against Chelsea last season; the problem has been inconsistency and playing with other inexperienced players.

• Like 1

I always thought that he would eventually become a solid player that most Premier League teams would be happy to have. It is so hard to judge how good someone is when they have no left or right back to help you. and at times a central partner that is as shaky as the rest. He did make too many mistakes though. Hopefully he will mature this season now that the pressure is off him.

I'm not ready to reverse my opinion of him based on one game, but I will praise a great performance when I see one, and I saw one yesterday. He is still young, especially for a defender, and should improve. If he continues to put in peformances like yesterday's I will have no complaints and will happily eat my words.

I'm not ready to reverse my opinion of him based on one game, but I will praise a great performance when I see one, and I saw one yesterday. He is still young, especially for a defender, and should improve. If he continues to put in peformances like yesterday's I will have no complaints and will happily eat my words.

I do agree that very few defenders become 'good at defending' from a young age. It is a discipline well earned over a long period and the hard way.

There aren't many young English defenders in this league that have done much better, just look at Smalling and Jones at Manure, largely they've been inconsistent and crap although both clearly are good players.

Stones for England looked raw, again he had potential but looked horribly inexperienced.

I doubt our fearless leader *bows* McGrath was the finished article at 23. Ok i have nothing to base that on, he may well have been god then to.

Ugo and Southgate - were probably two of our youngest and most complete defenders in my time as a fan.

To be fair, he had a run of games last season where he looked solid too - then came the inevitable horrible game and suddenly nobody remembers the good games. Hopefully this year he can make the step up in consistency and start looking like a decent PL CB far more than he looks like a poor back-up.

Edited by LordSepulchrave

"One game"?

He was pretty good in our wins against Chelsea and Man City last season too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â