Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Even then I think that such chants should be kept until after the final whistle, or at least right near the end. I'm not gonna condemn people who do do it as they are paying fans but it's just my personal opinion.

This isn't a better fan post its a genuine question so please take it in the spirit intended. I assume from the way your posts are worded that you weren't at Man City and I'm unsure how many games you go to in person either home or away.

But had you taken time and paid out probably close to £100 for a trip to Anfield and another £100 for a trip to Man City to witnessed the spineless and inept performances which lacked even the most basic requirement of effort and witnessed the manager acting as he did at Anfield and sitting on his ass in Manchester. Do you think you might perhaps feel differently?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, just did a Prem predictor....had us finishing 10th....funny thing was, we only had 41 points!!

Wins: Fulham, Blackburn, Stoke, Wigan (all home)

draws: West Ham (a), West Brom (a), Wolves (h), Toon (h), Wigan (a), Blues (a), Sunderland (h), Blackpool (a), Liverpool (h)

Losses: United(a), City(h), Chelsea(a), Bolton(a), Everton(a), Arsenal(a).

That the reason why I not to worry, I think all our home games are winnable Fulham, Blackburn, Stoke, Wigan, Wolves, Sunderland, Toon and Liverpool, I even think we can get a result against City if the atmosphere is right. Our main problem is we have 4-5 away games against our rivals at the bottom, our away form seem to be the problem this year. But thats one of the reason I not too harsh on Houllier, we had Man U, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and 2 derby matches at home in our last 7 home matches, we got the results against Blackpool and WestBrom, Spurs performance was poor and so was the first half against Arsenal, but the rest have been okay or good. Our Away form is the problem IMO.

Ha, just did a Prem predictor....had us finishing 10th....funny thing was, we only had 41 points!!

draws: West Ham (a), West Brom (a), Wolves (h), Toon (h), Wigan (a), Blues (a), Sunderland (h), Blackpool (a), Liverpool (h)

Will need a big improvement in our ability to get points away from home.

Will need a big improvement in our ability to get points away from home.

True, 5 draws, 5 losses there. Not exactly good there is it.

Current away games under Houllier:

Win: Wolves

draw: Fulham

lost: Sunderland, Spurs, Blackburn, Man City, Liverpool.

I'd say the games listed as draws are more similar on paper to:

Wolves, Fulham, Blackburn. In which we have 4 points.

Where as I've got loss down for anyone pretty much in the top 8, as well as Everton. So it's do-able, maybe even we might win 1/2.

Even then I think that such chants should be kept until after the final whistle, or at least right near the end. I'm not gonna condemn people who do do it as they are paying fans but it's just my personal opinion.

This isn't a better fan post its a genuine question so please take it in the spirit intended. I assume from the way your posts are worded that you weren't at Man City and I'm unsure how many games you go to in person either home or away.

But had you taken time and paid out probably close to £100 for a trip to Anfield and another £100 for a trip to Man City to witnessed the spineless and inept performances which lacked even the most basic requirement of effort and witnessed the manager acting as he did at Anfield and sitting on his ass in Manchester. Do you think you might perhaps feel differently?

No I didn't go to either of those two games (but I still do go to a fair few games). Anyway, I would've been pissed off at both the team and the manager and responded to that with silence. That's just my way of showing disapproval at the team or at the manager.

Fairly downbeat stuff in the Observer today

Fans' fractured faith could prove Gérard Houllier's downfall at Villa

Frenchman has pressing problems on and off the pitch after burning his bridges with Aston Villa supporters

o Stuart James

o The Observer, Sunday 2 January 2011

At Gérard Houllier's opening press conference at Aston Villa he dismissed any suggestion there would be a problem when asked whether he would find it difficult to manage Premier League players after a six-year absence. Three months later, amid stories of growing player unrest, Houllier was reminded of the answer he gave to that question and asked if he would still give the same response. "I don't want to answer that question," he said.

It was a reply that said everything one needed to know about the problems Houllier has experienced since returning to English football in September. Villa's options were severely restricted when Martin O'Neill announced his departure on the eve of the season but their decision to turn to the former Liverpool manager, which was met with a mixed response from Villa supporters, is beginning to look like a big mistake.

What can be said with certainty is that Houllier underestimated the size of the job he took on. He had flatly rejected the notion that this season should be written off as one of transition when he took over but after the 4-0 drubbing at Manchester City last Tuesday he accepted Villa are in a relegation battle. Villa are in freefall, have lost five of their last six league games and this afternoon face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, where they lost 7-1 last season.

Never mind debating whether Houllier should have been given the job; the big question now is whether he should hold on to it. Houllier fans – and they are becoming a rare species – claim it is unfair to judge the Frenchman when he has been unable to bring in his own players. Yet the flipside to that argument is that, with the exception of Stephen Ireland's arrival and James Milner's departure, Houllier is working with the same squad who finished sixth in May.

So where has it all gone wrong? In Houllier's defence he has been unfortunate with injuries and there is no evidence to suggest a harsher training regime has contributed to the number of players in the treatment room. He has also seen a couple of key players struggle for form. Gabriel Agbonlahor is still looking for his first league goal of the season while Richard Dunne was a liability in central defence before he fell out with Houllier.

Yet it also has to be said that Houllier has contributed to his own downfall. He admitted it was a mistake publicly to castigate Ireland who, rightly or wrongly, has always been a player who benefits from an arm around the shoulder rather than a kick up the backside. Ireland has been marginalised along with John Carew and Dunne. The trio earn in excess of £150,000 a week between them but have not played a minute of football since 6 December.

On Friday Houllier said all three could be reintegrated into his plans, which is perhaps not surprising given Villa's predicament, although it might be easier said than done. Ireland has suggested he would like to leave, Carew has so little respect for Houllier that he ranked him bottom in a list of the seven managers he has played under and Dunne made his thoughts clear during a spat on the training ground witnessed by his Villa team-mates.

Things would not be so bad if Houllier had a decent relationship with the Villa fans but he has burned rather than built bridges. He told a French newspaper on the day he arrived that Villa "belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League" and his comments since have been peppered with references to Liverpool. And that was before his bizarre behaviour at Anfield last month, for which he was forced to apologise four days later.

The Villa board are standing firmly behind Houllier but there is a sense the supporters are running out of patience. Assuming Villa fail to pick up anything at Chelsea today, which seems likely given their appalling away record (played nine, won 1, drawn 1, lost seven, scored 5, against 22), the home game against Sunderland on Wednesday night will become pivotal. Another defeat then and the Holte End could turn.

It was evident that under MON the team had potential to self destruct (eg 7-1 Chelsea) and even the loss to Newcastle earlier this season shows the size of the task that Houllier took on, the results did flatter to deceive under MON IT is MON who failed to make the most of what Randy LErner could provide whilst we got overtaken by Spurs who Redknap has transformed in a shorter time than MON has at Villa.

Houllier is not a bad manager, he has inherited a bad situation, with injuries and under performing or mismanaged so called senior players in some cases money wasted by MON eg NRC (who will leave on a free transfer), Sidwell.

It will be interesting to see what extent Houllier is backed in the transfer market, then is the time to judge the manager, but the facts are that with the amount of players in the team this year who were not in the team last year it is clear that the team on the pitch currently is not a quality premiership team and we will be outclassed by many premiership teams as the results so far have shown.

Houllier is not a bad manager, he has inherited a bad situation, with injuries and under performing or mismanaged so called senior players in some cases money wasted by MON eg NRC (who will leave on a free transfer), Sidwell.

For my money, Houllier is a manager who has just been found out.

Houllier has not been in charge long enough to say he has been found out. The depth of the squad left behind was not good and there have not been enough quality players available for Houllier to put out a team that will not be outclassed by the top premiership teams. Mostly it has been MON's senior players who have either not performed and been a liability eg Dunne

Houllier has not been in charge long enough to say he has been found out. The depth of the squad left behind was not good and there have not been enough quality players available for Houllier to put out a team that will not be outclassed by the top premiership teams. Mostly it has been MON's senior players who have either not performed and been a liability eg Dunne

He was left with a top six squad but has tried to change things to the way he wants it and has found some resistance by both players and the fans. GH needs at least one transfer window to show us what he can do. I believe that he has picked his strongest team for the Chelsea game today and will be in a better position to begin to view what he wants/needs to do in order to change things.

I think he has made the mistake of trying to change things too quickly and has, at the same time, been very unlucky with injuries. I have major doubts about his ability but will back him for the next month. After that, if things haven't picked up then I too will want change before it's too late.

Well done Gerard Houllier. Got it right today. Massive game coming up now.

This. Picked the right team(although not convinced with Gabby wide left) for the game.

The players showed some resilience which is a great sign for the new year.

We showed pride, passion and fight today so fair play. Let's hope it continues.

I'll give houllier a lot of credit for today, I'm assuming those blaming the players and MON for poor results will be giving them some credit? Cuellar at RB, players showing pride.

Sunderland is a massive game.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â