Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I wouldn't say I dislike them to the extent I want the club to get relegated or anything.. but don't expect any complements from me for them, they are still rivals and the Madrid derby is still a big game (despite the results saying otherwise over the years).. also I have experienced it at the Bernabeu fyi.

Atlético (which urks me to say it)

why would it irk you? Atleti arent big rivals to Real Madrid or its fans, it is the other way around. aimilar villa fans and sha
SHA are our big rivals.

The reason I dont care for the Blues much is because even though I dont live in Birmingham, I have worked there for more than ten years and I have to mix with the deluded bluenose fuckwits on a daily basis and I am **** sick of listening to them.

Surely that should mean that you care for the Blues match?

The Second City derby is our big match, you can tell just from the atmosphere at the ground.

Villa-Albion just isn't the same.

the Madrid derby is still a big game

Is it a big game for the Real Madrid fans? Or just for the Atletico Madrid fans?

Both, but over the years the mixture of Barcelona reaching new heights and the results against Atletico not being too surprising anymore the Clasico is now the biggest game for Madrid and it's fans.

So why hate them?

Because football is tribal and it is (for want of a better term) your duty to hate your rivals. It goes with the territory of supporting a club, that you must automatically dislike their rivals.

Even if you have no way of partaking in that rivalry? I just cant see it.

Atlético (which urks me to say it)

why would it irk you? Atleti arent big rivals to Real Madrid or its fans, it is the other way around. aimilar villa fans and sha
SHA are our big rivals.

The reason I dont care for the Blues much is because even though I dont live in Birmingham, I have worked there for more than ten years and I have to mix with the deluded bluenose fuckwits on a daily basis and I am **** sick of listening to them.

Surely that should mean that you care for the Blues match?

The Second City derby is our big match, you can tell just from the atmosphere at the ground.

Villa-Albion just isn't the same.

You should probably read more carefully. ;)

So why hate them?

Because football is tribal and it is (for want of a better term) your duty to hate your rivals. It goes with the territory of supporting a club, that you must automatically dislike their rivals.

Even if you have no way of partaking in that rivalry? I just cant see it.

It's just part of the game of it :)

I suppose hating the rivals of a club you've no geographical proximity to makes just as much sense as supporting a club you've no geographical proximity to.

Not really. Odds are you have some link to the team you choose to support, be it family or whatever. But you've probably zero reason to dislike their rivals. It's purely duty :)

I have to ask, are one allowed to think that Messi is an amazing player, the best there is atm and one of the best ever but not the best player ever without others saying that that opinion is either ignorant, denying or just not seeing enough of him? It's not that we don't rate him, it's just that we don't think he's the best ever. And he's in good competition. It's not like anyone says that he's on par with Heskey.

And Maradona won the world cup '86 almost on his own. There were a few other good players in that team. Out of their 14 goals he scored 5 and assisted 5.

But in the end, as Rev said, it's very hard to compare players from different eras. How would Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc cope with the pace of todays football? How would Messi cope with the brutality that those players had to deal with, not being defended by the referees? That's for anyone to guess.

I have to ask, are one allowed to think that Messi is an amazing player, the best there is atm and one of the best ever but not the best player ever without others saying that that opinion is either ignorant, denying or just not seeing enough of him? It's not that we don't rate him, it's just that we don't think he's the best ever. And he's in good competition. It's not like anyone says that he's on par with Heskey.

And Maradona won the world cup '86 almost on his own. There were a few other good players in that team. Out of their 14 goals he scored 5 and assisted 5.

But in the end, as Rev said, it's very hard to compare players from different eras. How would Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc cope with the pace of todays football? How would Messi cope with the brutality that those players had to deal with, not being defended by the referees? That's for anyone to guess.

Of course you're allowed think that. I currently think that myself. As with most things, if you can argue your case then most people will accept what you're saying. It's the ones who are making no sense that are having trouble :)

Of course you're allowed think that. I currently think that myself. As with most things, if you can argue your case then most people will accept what you're saying. It's the ones who are making no sense that are having trouble :)

Like questioning whether he could do it on a cold december night in Stoke? :P Yeah, that's not really the best argument debating if a player's good or not. That's only valid if the player should go and play in the PL. And why would Messi leave Barca? And if he did I've no doubts that he would be good here too. And maybe he'll come here when we're taken over by QIA... ;)

How would Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc cope with the pace of todays football?

I've always thought this was a bit of a pointless question... I'd imagine they'd all be perfectly fine, given that they'd also have access to modern day fitness training and physios.

How would Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc cope with the pace of todays football?

I've always thought this was a bit of a pointless question... I'd imagine they'd all be perfectly fine, given that they'd also have access to modern day fitness training and physios.

For the players mentioned I'd say you're probably right. For other stars from the past it might be different as their qualities were working in another style of football. Like Veron who was a world class player before he went to United. He couldn't really cope with the pace of the english game, and probably with the physics. Some players are great when they have time on the ball, but when they don't get that they're not as good anymore. Whilst some don't need that time.

Like questioning whether he could do it on a cold december night in Stoke? :P Yeah, that's not really the best argument debating if a player's good or not. That's only valid if the player should go and play in the PL. And why would Messi leave Barca? And if he did I've no doubts that he would be good here too. And maybe he'll come here when we're taken over by QIA... ;)

Well that's the point.

No-one's having a go at anyone for not thinking Messi is the best player ever. That's a perfectly valid view.

The only thing people are arguing are the poor arguments (imo) being put forward for him not being as good as, say, maradonna. I.e. the tuesday night in Stoke malarky and the "he doesn't play in an average team so he can't be that good" argument.

If you just think he's not as good as Pele and Maradonna then fair enough.

All I know is he's the best i've ever seen.

But I never saw that much of Maradonna, and apart from classic highlights, almost none of Pele or De Stefano or Cruyff, etc.

So it's hard to make a proper judgement.

From what I've seen, Messi is the best. But that doesn't make it right.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â