The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

The next bit, then, would be as an idea to "delete" all your music from iTunes on your mac, then try and sync your phone.

By the way, on your phone, as well, in settings - music - Show all music - turn it OFF.

So, carrying on from above.

Empty trash on Mac.

with wi fi off on phone and mac, (and with your music backed up somewhere (on an external HD, or a folder on your desktop, or wherever)

on mac, In iTunes, Music, songs - select everything and then delete. And then when it asks if you want to remove the songs from your mac also - hit Yes - they'll all get moved to the trash. Don't empty the trash.

So now you've no music on the mac itunes library.

Close itunes.

Open iTunes

Plug in the phone, You've already removed all music from your phone (if not, do it now, see post above).

Sync phone and mac.

As there's no music to sync, there should be no issues with music hanging.

Restart mac, restart phone (just to be sure, really)

open iTunes,

Put back some of the music into iTunes (drag it from the back up or out of the trash, onto the desktop, then back into the iTunes window (you can't drag it direct from the trash onto iTunes, I don't think)

sync.

add more music. repeat sync. etc....

If that didn't work, then we'll have to erase the phone...

But I think it might work, from what you said in your post.

Oh you little genius!  That in conjunction with all the deleted pref files worked a treat.  :cheers:

• Like 1

Oh you little genius!  That in conjunction with all the deleted pref files worked a treat.  :cheers:

yay! Thank the sky fairy for that.

If I were you, I'd back up the phone to iCloud. I'd also delete the iPhone back ups from the mac ( in iTunes prefs) and then re back up to the mac. To give you a good back up on both the computer and in the cloud. But hopefully it'll all stay nice and well behaved now

Disagree. It's not safe to delay patching any OS or apps. Ease of use is great right up until your device is compromised. Then you're relying on backup services for which your compromised machine has given away the credentials.

wrong. On iOS at least, it tells you whether there's a security element or not in the update. Often they are just new features, or bug fixes. Occasionally they are vulnerability fixes.

Are wrong  :P

I don't think iOS is special case - I am just more familiar with the way that iOS app updating tells the user whether it's a security type update, a new features update or a bug fix type (stop crashing..)

This is the bit that's not universally right and so makes you wrong: - if iTunes, for example, or another App is updated to incorporate new features, then it's not "really dangerous advice" to not update it.

Yes it's highly recommended to incorporate updates that improve security, or remove vulnerabilities, but that's far from all updates.

I know on Linux, Mac and windows application updates are often issued which add new features but don't improve security. And as many people will vouch, sometimes updating to a new version of an App or software can bring new problems.

While I agree keeping your device secure is paramount, I also don't accept that people should just automatically update everything, every time, and nor do the software or hardware makers. It's why they flag different updates differently.

You have an unwarranted degree of trust the devs are honest in change logs. I used to type in any old crap for the VillaTalk app.

Valid point.  I trusted Apple to do the simple thing of sending me the right cable to connect a new Mac to a monitor but they couldn't even get that right.

You have an unwarranted degree of trust the devs are honest in change logs. I used to type in any old crap for the VillaTalk app.

:)

Mind you if Devs can't be trusted, then their apps can't be trusted, and should be uninstalled, rather than updated!

• 1 month later...

Had to get the old iPhone 3GS out for the Mrs as her phone is being sent off for repair.  Updated the phone to 6.1.6 iOS as none of the apps worked.  Stupid move as I've lost Cydia and the phone is now not unlocked and her sim wont work!  The worst thing is that the power button is broken on the phone so I can't even go into DFU mode to unlock it!

• 1 month later...

So I was loaned a Macbook pro laptop from work at Christmas. Its essentially mine but obviously not paid for by me and can be called back at any time. I was terrified to use it for the longest time but then gradually I started to use it to listen to music on as the left speaker in my personal laptop has gone.

I had my phone charging on my laptop, resting between the screen and the keyboard. I picked up the laptop and it must have been at an angle where the phone could slide a few centimetres. Anyway, the phone hits the screen but I thought nothing of it, like I said it slid very slowly and only a few centimetres. The laptop had been in sleep mode for a while by this point so I wake it up and notice a white bar running up the side of the screen.

Essentially what has happened here is that the phone has hit the screen in a way that the glass hasn't failed, but the LCD screen behind it that it is supposed to protect has.

I went into one of their designated repair centres, MR Systems in Highbury and they said that Apple products, particularly the screens break too easily and it happens all the time. She also said that the glass should have protected the LCD screen and it hasn't. 

I asked if this was considered a hardware issue and she said yes. She said i'd probably still have a hard time getting Apple to accept responsibility but if i called up and got a 'nice person' they could give me a code that could be sent over to MR Systems to get the work done under warranty. I think she regretted being so honest though as she said "Don't tell them we said that".

So I call up Apple, tell them the story and tell them what I was told. Essentially the guy at the end of the phone repeated over and over again "We can't speculate on what caused the damage, we can only say that it was accidental". He also denied that such codes exist even though the lady I spoke to at the shop and his colleague confirmed that they did. I asked him if he had any data or links to research he could give me on the pressure it takes to cause this damage. He said he didn't.

I know I probably don't have a leg to stand on but this repair is quoted at £600, money I don't have.

Any advice chaps or do I just cry and mope on down to one of these dodgy high street places?

Edited by sexbelowsound

If the computer belongs to the company you work for, and it's accidental, is it not up to them to fix it?

I don't have a laptop, but if I accidentally broke my monitor at work then there would be no chance that I'd be expected to fix it!

• Like 1

I agree, I'll have to look into that. I'm just really pissed off that it broke so easily, wish i'd never even accepted it to begin with!

I think i'm looking to fix it myself because whilst I think the laptop has broken way too easily and its fundamentally floored in terms of hardware, it was still a stupid mistake by me to put my phone on the keyboard.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Tell a half truth.

"I definitely haven't dropped it or anything. Maybe I knocked it slightly"

Seriously though, even if you admitted what you'd done, it's still an accident.

I'd be livid if my company expected me to pay for accidental damage to my computer.

It would be different if you'd chucked it out a window or smashed it out of frustration. But for something like that there's no way, imo, you should be expected to foot the bill.

(apologies we've gone OT a bit here)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â