The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

I just think that someone calling my number, which I have given them, and then my gadget allowing me to answer (or decline) their call on my companion gadget is a nifty and useful feature, basically.

Also (unrelated) they've updated the software to apparently remove some of the bugs in it. The iTunes is the bit that I've found increasingly annoying - in terms of not syncing properly. It's like their SWQA have been sleeping on the job for about a year.

Pete, you must have at some point clicked something to say that you agree that your iPad can take your phone calls if on wifi.  I think that's Simon's point.  If you have but just don't remember doing it, but quite enjoy the ability to do that, then there isn't a problem at all.  If you haven't agreed but it happens anyway, then that to me is a big problem.

Yeah, exaclty Risso. I expect I did it when it updated the iOS, I don't remember but I'd imagine I'd do it and forget all about it.

I understand completely Simon's concern re unauthorised thingummyjig - my comment was never, though, that I hadn't authorised it - only that when it happened and worked brilliantly I was (very pleasantly) surprised first that it did it, and second that it was so good - I think Simon assumed that my surprise was permission related, though I never said or hinted that.

I guess I will have done some setting to allow it and forgotten all about it

I'd have thought it would be a lot more explicit that it appears that it was.

I let my devices notify each other, but I wouldn't be happy with them forwarding the call. That's my choice though.

Also (unrelated) they've updated the software to apparently remove some of the bugs in it. The iTunes is the bit that I've found increasingly annoying - in terms of not syncing properly. It's like their SWQA have been sleeping on the job for about a year.

I'm surprised that itunes is still software rather than a web service. They'd sell (even) more devices if they didn't require users to own something which can run itunes. I'm sure they have reasons, but I can't see what they would be. Part of the marketing for the original iphone was that you'd never need a computer again.

A lot of the stuff with apple is pretty straightforward - "do you want to turn this on?" and because i trust apple's OS not to do a bad thing with various (but not all) aspects, I'm happy to say yes, and never think about that part again - though I do kep an eye out for security advices and stuff. whicis why some stuff I don't enable.

Re iTunes, I dunno - I tend to prefer CDs and not needing internet connectivity (but the kids of today don't, apparently).

You don't need a computer as itunes is an app(s) as well (albeit renamed "music" & "podcasts" etc.)

• 2 months later...

My current contract is almost up and I always told myself I would buy a handset out right and then get rolling contract to tie me over.

The problem is the giff gaff deal isn't what it was and you still need to spend £12-£15 for a sim only deal with a reasonable amount of data.

This deal has got me thinking about an iPhone 6 on contract. Would be £80 down and then only £23.49 per month for the 16gb model with 1000 mins, unltd texts and 2gb data. Seems good value from that point of view but I wonder about being capped at about 12gb of storage space.

Thoughts from the VT guru's?

Edited by Genie

I wouldn't touch 16gb now but I take a lot of photos with my phone.  Obviously it's very easy to keep on top of it these days as backup is so simple and you can dick about with music and podcasts incredibly easy too, but a year or so into owning my 16gb Nexus 4 the storage thing became a daily battle.  One I could keep on top of quite easily but also one I really couldn't be arsed with by the end.  My next phone (iPhone 6 plus) was 64gb.  

• Like 1

Music and Podcasts wouldn't be a huge problem for me, its about storage for photos really. I too, N4 owner had to clear a lot of stuff off my device which I don't like doing. I like to know I have all my photos local (as well as backed up to the cloud).

Its a good offer, but I think I'll have to pass for the reason of storage.

So i clicked on a sky sports news stream on firstrow sports and the usual "you might have a virus, call this number, etc" pop ups appear...i cant close them, so i reboot ....this always worked until today, even after 2 reboots the pop ups return and i cant get online

any advice?

As Tegis says - Adware medic does all that stuff, for free in a jiffy. I had a similar thing after clicking on a match streaming site and it sorted it out for me. I think it was only the second or third time I'd ever gone to watch a stream, as well. I knew there was a reason not to.

It wasn't letting me into preferences, it was all greyed out. I rebooted again, and all the garbage is gone now, so I'm good. Don't think I'll be using Firstrowsports anymore though....

I used Adware medic, it cleaned a few things

Thanks guys

• Like 2

My current contract is almost up and I always told myself I would buy a handset out right and then get rolling contract to tie me over.

The problem is the giff gaff deal isn't what it was and you still need to spend £12-£15 for a sim only deal with a reasonable amount of data.

This deal has got me thinking about an iPhone 6 on contract. Would be £80 down and then only £23.49 per month for the 16gb model with 1000 mins, unltd texts and 2gb data. Seems good value from that point of view but I wonder about being capped at about 12gb of storage space.

Thoughts from the VT guru's?

I got my new iPhone 6 64GB yesterday after looking at the same deal and deciding 16GB is just way too small nowadays. After a bit of haggling with EE I managed to get it for £20 up front and £31 a month with unlimited texts and calls + 4GB of data. I had to request a PAC code in order to get that deal though mind.

Can anyone recommend a good case for the iPhone 6 that doesn't cost £30 or look ridiculous?

Apple are absolutely chuffing hopeless.

As my hope PC and Macbook Pro are getting on a bit, I thought I'd get myself a new Mac Pro (the nice shiny black cylinder one) with a 4K monitor, which they recommend to go with it.  On the Apple website it says you connect one to the other: "The display connects to your Mac Pro through a Thunderbolt 2 port using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable."

The only trouble is, they don't actually include a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable at all, they include a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable which is no use whatsoever, as the Mac Pro doesn't have a DisplayPort connection, it needs a Mini DiplayPort which plugs into a Thunderbolt port.

So I phone the cretins up, and they apologise profusely and say they'll send me the correct cable which will be here on Monday.  A few hours later they send me an email to say they've dispatched a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable, which again, is no use.  So I spend another half an hour on the phone, to find out that they don't actually provide the cable to connect the Mac to the screen that they recommend for it.  I've now ordered the correct one from Amazon for a fiver.

Honestly, the days when things "just worked" because they're Apple get further and further away, and I've been a massive supporter of Apple stuff in the past.

• Like 1

But if they provide everything for you in the box then how are they supposed to overcharge on the accessories and cables that are required?

In this instance I wouldn't have minded being over charged, the point is they don't even sell an essential lead to allow me to actually use their product.

On the Apple website it says you connect one to the other: "The display connects to your Mac Pro through a Thunderbolt 2 port using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable."

The only trouble is, they don't actually include a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable at all, they include a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable...

I assume it's not an Apple display, but a third party one? it can't be that you can't connect an apple Pro to an apple display with an apple cable?

Anyway, I agree that their kind of almost perfect (at least in comparison) service and useability has dropped off a fair bit.

I decided to go back, partly for that reason to a second hand old mac from e bay. 500 quid for an older laptop, no issues, decent price. good as new. Just not quite as fast etc. I bunged a SSD in it and it's more than good enough for my needs.

Which doesn't help you at all, I know. But I can see the point coming where the new kit is too expensive for 99% of people, and its software and interconnection issues/quality is a further downside, given what people pay.

Alll that said, I still haven't managed to find anything else with the mix of build quality in the hardware, long life, good design and user interface plus software package that come close. Which is a shame.

On the Apple website it says you connect one to the other: "The display connects to your Mac Pro through a Thunderbolt 2 port using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable."

The only trouble is, they don't actually include a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable at all, they include a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable...

I assume it's not an Apple display, but a third party one? it can't be that you can't connect an apple Pro to an apple display with an apple cable?

Anyway, I agree that their kind of almost perfect (at least in comparison) service and useability has dropped off a fair bit.

I decided to go back, partly for that reason to a second hand old mac from e bay. 500 quid for an older laptop, no issues, decent price. good as new. Just not quite as fast etc. I bunged a SSD in it and it's more than good enough for my needs.

Which doesn't help you at all, I know. But I can see the point coming where the new kit is too expensive for 99% of people, and its software and interconnection issues/quality is a further downside, given what people pay.

Alll that said, I still haven't managed to find anything else with the mix of build quality in the hardware, long life, good design and user interface plus software package that come close. Which is a shame.

Correct Pete, it's not an Apple display, but a Sharp one.  However, it is one of only two monitors that they sell with the Mac, so you'd think that anything they recommend and sell direct should have to past muster.  I can connect the new monitor to my old desktop Windows PC no problem, just not my new Mac.  Then to be sent out an HDMI cable when the monitor doesn't even have an HDMI port shows a serious lack of product knowledge from their staff.  Over the past 10 years we've had a variety of Macs, Macbooks, iPads and iPhones in our house, and at one point they were streets ahead of everything.  Recently though, their stuff has been far ropier.  I bought my wife a MacBook that had to go back to them inside 6 months, there are the constant iPhone iOS updates with their myriad problems, and their customer service is lousy.

Still, the Apple Watch is available for pre-order tomorrow, so all is well........

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â