Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If Spurs do make a bid then it may flush out those clubs who are looking to pick him up for nothing. £3m would be a joke and if that is the offer they have in mind I would give them the same reply as they would give us if we offered the same for Lennon or Townsend. Spurs seem to make their offers through the press as they did with Benteke to test our reaction. They seem to think we are desperate for any sort of money when one of our players wants away. I trust they will be proven wrong again.  

"I don't get this. In what way did we not have to stick by our own player?  Were we just meant to let him be injured then never play football again... having paid around £8m for him?!  It surprises me more that so many people are saying it - "we stuck by him".  Of course we did!"

I think at one point he said that he owed the club for sticking by him bobzy. Back on 30/8/13 he did tell the Birmingham Mail "The fans have been great with me, they've been patient. I've been here four years now and I've been injured most of them. If I'm being honest, if I was a fan I'd probably be a bit frustrated thinking 'oh, when is he going to start playing. All credit to them they've backed me all the way."

Given that, I think it is not unreasonable that fans have a problem with him now just over a year later being on the verge of leaving us for nothing. But that is football these days and the club should have made him a contract offer 12 months ago.       

• Like 4

Really would not like to see him go, as has been said so many times he also owes us for sticking by him. We didn't have to stick by him but we did.

On how good he is, I think it's more about how good he can be. Before the injuries he had goals and assits as part of his game, he's already got his confidence on the ball back and his touch, which at times when he was first coming back were horrendous. I would really like it to be us that benefits from him improving and possibly fulfilling his potential and not a rival in the same league.

I don't get this. In what way did we not have to stick by our own player? Were we just meant to let him be injured then never play football again... having paid around £8m for him?! It surprises me more that so many people are saying it - "we stuck by him". Of course we did! The same way we stuck by Benteke and Okore and Kozak... why wouldn't we do that? :o

I thought we renewed his contract while he was injured didn't we? Or am I making that up?

"I thought we renewed his contract while he was injured didn't we?"

Yes in March 2011 romavilla. He was also reported by SKY Sports as having said in the summer that "I'd love to sign a new deal and am ready to talk, but it's not up to me, so we'll have to wait and see". But our owner had taken his eye off the ball and his eyes were only on selling the club then. Delph has also since become an England player and has seen the £ signs flash before his eyes.     

Right thought so, that's why he owes us, we could have left him without a club and injured and we didn't. Without a club and injured could have been really bad news for him at that point. Would probably be plying his trade in a lower league now, if at all.

Really would not like to see him go, as has been said so many times he also owes us for sticking by him. We didn't have to stick by him but we did.

On how good he is, I think it's more about how good he can be. Before the injuries he had goals and assits as part of his game, he's already got his confidence on the ball back and his touch, which at times when he was first coming back were horrendous. I would really like it to be us that benefits from him improving and possibly fulfilling his potential and not a rival in the same league. 

I don't get this.  In what way did we not have to stick by our own player?  Were we just meant to let him be injured then never play football again... having paid around £8m for him?!  It surprises me more that so many people are saying it - "we stuck by him".  Of course we did!  The same way we stuck by Benteke and Okore and Kozak... why wouldn't we do that? :o

In the same way we didn't stick by all of the players who we decided to put in the bomb squad because we didn't want to pay their wages anymore so tried to force them out. That wasn't really in the spirit of sticking by the players.

We do whatever is required in the contract, in the same way that players and agents do. There's no room for sentiment, it's all business.

• Like 1

I don't get this. In what way did we not have to stick by our own player? Were we just meant to let him be injured then never play football again... having paid around £8m for him?! It surprises me more that so many people are saying it - "we stuck by him". Of course we did! The same way we stuck by Benteke and Okore and Kozak... why wouldn't we do that? :o

I thought we renewed his contract while he was injured didn't we? Or am I making that up?

Only as it was in our best interests

"I don't get this. In what way did we not have to stick by our own player?  Were we just meant to let him be injured then never play football again... having paid around £8m for him?!  It surprises me more that so many people are saying it - "we stuck by him".  Of course we did!"

I think at one point he said that he owed the club for sticking by him bobzy. Back on 30/8/13 he did tell the Birmingham Mail "The fans have been great with me, they've been patient. I've been here four years now and I've been injured most of them. If I'm being honest, if I was a fan I'd probably be a bit frustrated thinking 'oh, when is he going to start playing. All credit to them they've backed me all the way."

Given that, I think it is not unreasonable that fans have a problem with him now just over a year later being on the verge of leaving us for nothing. But that is football these days and the club should have made him a contract offer 12 months ago.       

My bigger problem with him was the whole "I want to stay here for the rest of my career" stuff.  I suppose, if he actually does this, then it'll be fine :D

Regardless of whether Delph is actually good/very good/will be very good, he definitely offers something very different to our other midfielders, particularly pace and the ability to beat a man.

Yes. But what good is beating a man, if the pass straight afterwards is either over/underhit, or a sideways pass back to Westwood.

I don't understand why people think his ability to burst past a player or two is all that impressive, nothing ever comes of it, he may as well just pass it 5 yards in the first place. 

If he was to do that kind of burst and then create something in the final third then yeah, I get it, but in his 5/6 years here i've not seen him do that once. 

• Like 1

Regardless of whether Delph is actually good/very good/will be very good, he definitely offers something very different to our other midfielders, particularly pace and the ability to beat a man.

Yes. But what good is beating a man, if the pass straight afterwards is either over/underhit, or a sideways pass back to Westwood.

I don't understand why people think his ability to burst past a player or two is all that impressive, nothing ever comes of it, he may as well just pass it 5 yards in the first place. 

If he was to do that kind of burst and then create something in the final third then yeah, I get it, but in his 5/6 years here i've not seen him do that once. 

I agree on the overall point but one word - Chelsea.

• Like 1

I agree on the overall point but one word - Chelsea.

That was a magical moment. Delph has provided 3 excellent moments in his whole Villa career. West Brom, Southampton and Chelsea. They are the only memorable things he's done in my mind. Over 6 years, that's not exactly impressive. 

I wish he could do that sort of thing more :(

• Like 2

My bigger problem with him was the whole "I want to stay here for the rest of my career" stuff.  I suppose, if he actually does this, then it'll be fine :D

That's not quite what he said though, is it?

"I’d love to be here for the rest of my career, but that’s not up to me,” said Delph."

If Spurs do make a bid then it may flush out those clubs who are looking to pick him up for nothing. £3m would be a joke and if that is the offer they have in mind I would give them the same reply as they would give us if we offered the same for Lennon or Townsend. Spurs seem to make their offers through the press as they did with Benteke to test our reaction. They seem to think we are desperate for any sort of money when one of our players wants away. I trust they will be proven wrong again.  

£3m seems reasonable to me.

£3m seems reasonable to me.

I know he only has 6 months left on his contract but he is an excellent player, england internationals shouldn't be that cheap, i'd feel robbed if we sold him for that much

That's not quite what he said though, is it?

"I’d love to be here for the rest of my career, but that’s not up to me,” said Delph."

It absolutely is up to him.

Well, 98% of it is - I suppose there's a chance that we never offer him another contract.  Can't see why that would be the case, though.  Outside of that, entirely up to Delph.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â