Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Yeah Delph's biggest problem is definitely his final ball. He seems to be able to do the hard bit by wriggling out of a situation by twisting and turning around players, drives forward but just can't find the right pass. It doesn't help when the movement of the other players is so minimal it makes it harder to find a pass. But still, for however great he has been this season, he really doesn't offer us much offensively to be honest. 

However, I will state he offers us more offensively than KEA, Sylla and Westwood. Though it's marginal.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Totally agree Pieface.

He's good at dribbling with the ball and gettig out of tight situations, but his final ball and passing in general is shocking.

He feels to me a bit like Ireland in the McLeish season, just looks good in a bad team. If he learnt how to pass he could be a special player. Maybe he should play as a DM as he's seemingly better suited for that position.

I dont think he's ready for England personally.

• Like 1

I think it's just easier to pick out when he misplaces the final pass after all the good work he does before it. He is the one who starts most of our attacks with quick forward balls, taking the mantle from Westwood who made that a staple of his game last season. It's evident even in that compilation from a few pages back against Man City where we didn't even have much of the ball.

Yeah Delph's biggest problem is definitely his final ball. He seems to be able to do the hard bit by wriggling out of a situation by twisting and turning around players, drives forward but just can't find the right pass. It doesn't help when the movement of the other players is so minimal it makes it harder to find a pass. But still, for however great he has been this season, he really doesn't offer us much offensively to be honest. 

However, I will state he offers us more offensively than KEA, Sylla and Westwood. Though it's marginal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think Delph can shoulder all of the blame for this (or our other midfielders). It frustrates me no end to see Delph win the ball with a good tackle and then dribble past 2, 3, 4 defenders, only to get to the final third and find none of our attackers moving into space to receive the ball. Our front three is too narrow and too static. Usually Luna or Bacuna are the only guys exploiting the flanks and moving into good positions. Delph's crossfield passes aren't good enough to get the ball out to Bacuna most of the time, and I'll admit he's missed Luna's movement a few times.

This doesn't mean that Delph (and the other midfielders) is not without his faults, he can definitely improve on his passing and I'd love to see him add some goals and assists. But the assists aren't going to come when our strikers are standing around heavily marked, they've gotta start moving.

Delph is willing to take on defenders, but he puts the ball too far forward.  Needs to keep it close.  When his touch past defender A is so strong, it invites the next challenge which is why he seems to just barely keep possession two or three times in a row before he comes out the other side.  If he kept the ball closer with a softer touch he would be more effective and would not end up in as many stretched challenges to keep possession.

He's been great and ha dhe been called up i dont think anyone could have argued he doesn't deserve it but he just needs to contribute a bit more you would think. Not that i'm too bothered anyway, if he was scoring and assisting on top of the way hes playing now he'd only be robbed off us anyway.

England play attacking football, Fabian Delph plays for a team that is never holding possession of the ball - I think it's perfectly understandable that he is not picked. As for Hendersen, he does the job for Liverpool and they carry possession in most games. He has completed 90 minutes for them every single time this season in the league, so one could understand why Hodgson picks him for England instead of someone like Delph. There is hope though, two people have been mentioned for call-ups this season and Lallana just got his. Delph is next in line I would think? Not that any of them are going to get any important game-time or play in the WC next year.

Delph is a crafter without any end-product to brag about, it goes without saying that he is going to struggle for England when they play a totally different style. Look at Barcelona and Spain, it's basically the same team with a few additions from Real Madrid. 

England play attacking football, Fabian Delph plays for a team that is never holding possession of the ball - I think it's perfectly understandable that he is not picked. As for Hendersen, he does the job for Liverpool and they carry possession in most games. He has completed 90 minutes for them every single time this season in the league, so one could understand why Hodgson picks him for England instead of someone like Delph. There is hope though, two people have been mentioned for call-ups this season and Lallana just got his. Delph is next in line I would think? Not that any of them are going to get any important game-time or play in the WC next year.

Delph is a crafter without any end-product to brag about, it goes without saying that he is going to struggle for England when they play a totally different style. Look at Barcelona and Spain, it's basically the same team with a few additions from Real Madrid. 

What is the reasoning behind Tom Cleverley getting picked ahead of Delph? I can only think of Gerrard and Lampard as having any "end-product" for England.

What is the reasoning behind Tom Cleverley getting picked ahead of Delph? I can only think of Gerrard and Lampard as having any "end-product" for England.

I've been wondering it and the only thing I can think; apart from the fact he's a Man Utd player; is that perhaps there's an element of possession (of the squad slot) being 9/10ths and he's in there until he **** up or until an outstanding candidate comes along to replace him.

Well over the years we've seen some managers pick on form but far more choose a squad at the start of a campaign and stick with it whatever reality tells them until the competition is finished.

This is why Cleverly is getting picked because there is no way he is currently playing at a higher level than Delph. this season.

Very disappointed in Roy on this one, were not going to learn anything new about Cleverly in these two friendlies but we'd have learnt a hell of a lot about whether Delph is ready to step up

I agree with 'villarule' in that Delph isn't yet ready for England although I'm still more than a little surprised that Roy hasn't picked him.

Maybe Roy felt with a young player coming back from serious injury and in the process of re-building his confidence the scrutiny he would have received in an international would have been too much for Delph especially if his debut had gone wrong. Could have destroyed his fragile confidence?  

I agree with 'villarule' in that Delph isn't yet ready for England although I'm still more than a little surprised that Roy hasn't picked him.

Maybe Roy felt with a young player coming back from serious injury and in the process of re-building his confidence the scrutiny he would have received in an international would have been too much for Delph especially if his debut had gone wrong. Could have destroyed his fragile confidence?  

What could go wrong in two friendly games? There is nothing at stake for England. I would not describe Delph's confidence as fragile, especially if he has got himself playing at a high quality recently, despite his previous injury setbacks. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Yeah 'Gentleman' you're probably right and really it was only a suggestion as to why Roy didn't pick him. Personally i don't feel Delph is ready yet anyway as his poor distribution would have been exposed on international duty time and again and maybe that's the real reason why he wasn't chosen?

It's definitely possible that England's desire to play a possession game and Villa's current inability to retain possession is counting against Delph.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â