Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Not to denigrate 'our' vets in any way, but the British beaches were comparatively a cakewalk compared to the carnage the Americans suffered on Omaha.

Hollywood script writers and sensationalist American historians like this post.

Sorry, but that's bullshit. Just read ANY book on D-Day, try Max Hastings for example. Omaha was hell on earth. The British forces basically walked onto the beaches. Under some fire, for sure, but NOTHING like that on the US sector. 

• Like 4

Not to denigrate 'our' vets in any way, but the British beaches were comparatively a cakewalk compared to the carnage the Americans suffered on Omaha.

Sorry, but that's bullshit. Just read ANY book on D-Day, try Max Hastings for example. Omaha was hell on earth. The British forces basically walked onto the beaches. Under some fire, for sure, but NOTHING like that on the US sector. 

It is called "Bloody Omaha" I would say they suffered so many casualties because the germans were firing down from a bloody great hill.

A basic look at a wiki page will show the various levels of casualties as a crude measure of where it was comparatively bloodier.

Also worth a look at the assault on Le Havre.

Cold special fried rice at 8:00am might just be the best food in the world - especially if you can find a couple of chips and a can of coke.

Then into somebody else's car for a quick sleep whilst being driven to the next day's activities.

I've had a couple of lost weekends around Worcester and Malvern like that. One ended prematurely when I fell off a trellis table dancing to an Oompah band.

Eating too much food like that can give you strange looking eyes.

Eh? I don't get it?

This story of the Normandy veteran who was told by nursing home he couldn't attend the memorial so he did I runner and turned up there.

All these years later still an amazing fight and spirit

As much as this would make it a better story, it seems that it isn't true. According to The Independent, the staff actually tried to get him a place on a trip arranged by the Royal British Legion, but couldn't because of the lateness of the request. The gentleman in question is also free to come and go as he want from the home too.  

This is well worth a watch, if you missed it last night.

Curry Goat is lovely, three days after it's been made. It isn't too spicy, it's relatively mild but still has a kick if you use Scotch Bonnet peppers. 

3 days after its made you would want to throw it in the bin 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â