Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Yep. I'd have been better off learning French, given that I'd already studied it for a few years. So I was tempted to learn that.

But French is shit (imo). I don't particularly like France or going there so when am I going to need to speak French?

Spanish is way more useful for me personally.

French hate :)

:lol:

ha

Actually I don't hate france, or the french. Not at all.

I just mean I have no particular desire to go there. Same as probably 150 other countries in the world. So the only thing tempting me towards learning french was the fact that I've studied it before.

Whereas I actually like Spain, and other Spanish speaking countries. So despite the fact it'll take me longer, it'll be way more interesting and useful to me.

Edited by Stevo985

I mucked about in my German GCSE class, but still got a C.  Thought I'd never need it but that came back to bite me on the arse when I ended up living there!

Aren't Germans decently fluent in English?

I love languages, when I was sent around the world, I always felt having at least a grasp of the native language that I was going to, would give me some advantage.

English, Spanish and French are good ones to have a knowledge of, because, they are a good base to start from, to learn a lot of other languages.

A lot of places do speak 'American' English, so that can make things easier.

Edited by 8pints

I mucked about in my German GCSE class, but still got a C.  Thought I'd never need it but that came back to bite me on the arse when I ended up living there!

Yep, I'd say behind the Scandinavians and the Dutch, they are the best non native speakers.

More so now, but when I moved there in 2001 it was a lot more difficult.  Not in the office, but when you're in retailers or receiving letters from the bank/council etc.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â