Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

spacer.png

Surely keeping the gun hard won't cure the hair trigger. Although I guess if it keeps the gun hard after all the bullets have dribbled out ...

• Haha 1

Yeah compared to the latest (several years old now) Manchester airport scheme, Birmingham actually having a free drop off is decent. It's free for 10 minutes and it's a 5 minute walk but they built a covered path to the terminal at least. Stay for 20 mins though and it costs £600. If your car wouldn't start or you to run to the bog for a bout of the squits you'd have to remortgage your house to leave the car park. 

4 hours ago, bickster said:

There's no such thing as a quick pick up at Manchester Airport. There is a drop off area in front of each terminal. The prices are...

• £5 - Under 5 mins
  • £6 - Under 10 mins
  • £25 over 10 mins

(To be fair, there is a free drop off area miles away from the airport where you can get free bus every 20 mins that will take a further 20 mins to go around all the terminals - unsurprisingly, no one uses this service, which was the airports complete intention when starting it)

To pick up its...

• £6 - up to 30 mins
  • £12 - up to an hour
  • £20 - between an hour and 2 hours
  • £30 - over 2 hours
  • in every increasing circles upwards

Liverpool Airport is simpler, it's £4 for ten minutes and after that it's OUCH. Pick up or drop off

There's a free pick up and drop off area at Liverpool too, it's a 3/4 mile uncovered walk and there's no shuttle, Taxis theoretically can use it though not practically as it has ANPR and you are only allowed to go in once a day for free and after that, the prices are DOUBLE OUCH

Airports make their money from car parking, the facility itself is usually a loss leader

You used to be able to pick up and drop off outside the train station at Manchester Airport and then a quick walk into the terminals. Not sure if you were actually allowed to though. 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You used to be able to pick up and drop off outside the train station at Manchester Airport and then a quick walk into the terminals. Not sure if you were actually allowed to though. 

Yep, thats stopped now, £5 for 5 mins as above. You have to go through a barrier to get there now. I used to sit outside the station for ages waiting for a booking. The closest place you can realistically stop now is Avro Way off Runger Lane and even that is 20 mins max. There are obviously a few little sneaky spots but they are usually occupied by the regular Man Air private transfer knobs. Or of course you can risk parking in Wythenshawe

They've even removed both of the Petrol Stations from the Airport because drivers were parking in the Petrol Stations, thats how much the car parks ARE their revenue, they did everything they could to prevent you stopping your car onsite and not pay

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep, thats stopped now, £5 for 5 mins as above. You have to go through a barrier to get there now. I used to sit outside the station for ages waiting for a booking. The closest place you can realistically stop now is Avro Way off Runger Lane and even that is 20 mins max. There are obviously a few little sneaky spots but they are usually occupied by the regular Man Air private transfer knobs. Or of course you can risk parking in Wythenshawe

They've even removed both of the Petrol Stations from the Airport because drivers were parking in the Petrol Stations, thats how much the car parks ARE their revenue, they did everything they could to prevent you stopping your car onsite and not pay

You can get to the Hilton Gardens hotel for nothing. They have a barrier but it's 10 mins free or there's enough space to just wait at the turn in.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

You can get to the Hilton Gardens hotel for nothing. They have a barrier but it's 10 mins free or there's enough space to just wait at the turn in.

Ten minutes is never enough for taxi drivers waiting for bookings

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Ten minutes is never enough for taxi drivers waiting for bookings

Yeah fair enough, I was getting picked up by a friend. The cheap bastard went out of his way to give me a lift and didn't even want to pay for the privilege.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

The in laws live near the airport so we used to get dropped off whenever we went away (a few years now with Covid nonsense). Will bear that in mind if we manage to get away this year. 

When I get back to BHX, especially after a long flight, I usually just black cab it out of laziness/convenience. Last time I didn't get much change out of about £50 :( 

Private hire to the airport on the way - about £22 from memory. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

(And yet, thanks to local topography and the arrangement of flight paths, we get zero aircraft noise). 

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Very jealous of both you and mooney. Living a couple of miles shy of the southern runway at LHR and directly under the flightpath, I've had to get used to the noise.

We used to live by the red marker, flightpath to Stockholm Bromma airport in purple. 1 minute before landing. We lasted 3 years before we **** that place off. Our first place living on our own, but not ideal :D

lTHXJus.png

Edited by Tegis
  • Shocked 1

Was reading the reviews once for airport parking. Some right dodgy companies out there. Some people reporting when they got back the companies couldn't even find there cars. Others were just dumped in random fields, or even pubic roads. One guy reported a extra 180 miles on his car why he returned to collect.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Was reading the reviews once for airport parking. Some right dodgy companies out there. Some people reporting when they got back the companies couldn't even find there cars. Others were just dumped in random fields, or even pubic roads. One guy reported a extra 180 miles on his car why he returned to collect.

Reminds me of an ex-colleague who had two coppers at his door to arrest him for a hit and run which happened at a time when he was overseas and his car was supposedly parked in an off-site long stay near Heathrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Most airports I've been to in the US allow you to drop off or pick up at the curbside for free, but you can't leave your car and you can't show up early and just sit and wait.  Airport police will make you move along.   They have mobile phone lots where you can wait for free until the person you're picking up calls to let you know they've gotten their bags and are at the curb.  Very sensible and works pretty well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Most airports I've been to in the US allow you to drop off or pick up at the curbside for free, but you can't leave your car and you can't show up early and just sit and wait.  Airport police will make you move along.   They have mobile phone lots where you can wait for free until the person you're picking up calls to let you know they've gotten* their bags and are at the curb.  Very sensible and works pretty well.

* got, before @mjmooney loses his rag. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

* got, before @mjmooney loses his rag. 

It's correct grammar as taught in America.  I think Mike has accepted that those of us on this side of the pond aren't going to pretend we're British when we post and gives Americanizations/Americanisations (is that a word) a free pass.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

It's correct grammar as taught in America.  I think Mike has accepted that those of us on this side of the pond aren't going to pretend we're British when we post and gives Americanizations/Americanisations (is that a word) a free pass.

Maybe but he (and me*) is never going to accept the club as an entity being treated as an individual!

* I

Edited by sidcow

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I ‘suffered‘ the £5 charge at Manchester airport recently, absolutely incredulous.

How is this shit allowed to happen? I literally was there for about 1 minute max dropping someone off at the terminal, everything is just take take take.

We are paying for the honour of delivering them customers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Quite right. I've even been angry with British editions of American novels that have stupidly changed the correct American spellings and usages to inappropriate British ones. 

Anyway, I don't go looking for stuff to jump on. But if I spot an error I sometimes (not always) point it out. It's being helpful, not judgemental. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â