Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 09/01/2022 at 13:09, Davkaus said:

Which is all very good for marketing shots or something, but holiday photos? It's not what happened, so what's the point

I think the latest Google phone advertises this as a feature. Take a photo in a crowded area and the phone can then disappear anyone out the photo you want. 

That, combined with the advancement of this deep-fake stuff, makes me a little concerned. 

• Like 2

On 09/01/2022 at 13:58, PussEKatt said:

Using Gimp,I took my photo when I felt like it and then removed the people at my leisure when I got home.

If you just want a good, well lit photo, in nice conditions of a tourist attraction, there are almost certainly loads online. The point of my photos is to remember that moment I was there, as it was, not to capture some sort of idealistic copy of the moment which doesn't represent my experience.

I guess we all draw the line in a diferent place, because a bit of cropping? Sure. Removing red eyes? Absolutely. But photoshopping people out is a bit much, and changing the weather conditions seems ludicrous to me. They're your photos though, so if you're happy with them, good on you.

• Like 2

Using a pulse oximeter to find out that not only have my bloody oxygen levels not been to depleted by Covid and my lungs aren't about to collapse, but that I have a resting heart rate more akin to that of a professional athlete than a professional drinker.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If you just want a good, well lit photo, in nice conditions of a tourist attraction, there are almost certainly loads online. The point of my photos is to remember that moment I was there, as it was, not to capture some sort of idealistic copy of the moment which doesn't represent my experience.

I guess we all draw the line in a diferent place, because a bit of cropping? Sure. Removing red eyes? Absolutely. But photoshopping people out is a bit much, and changing the weather conditions seems ludicrous to me. They're your photos though, so if you're happy with them, good on you.

I dont know if I should explain myself but here goes anyway.First off if I am in a place like Cambridge with lots of historical buildings etc,I buy a post card as well as taking my owne pictures.Second,as for the Rangers monument I mentioned above.I kept the original ( I always keep the original and muck about with a copy ) so I have the original picture of the monument with all the people around it and a picture of the monument ( which my main focus ) with no people.As far as changing the weather etc goes.I have original pictures of the Longues battery which werer taken on a dull overcast day.I changed the day to a bright sunny day with lots of detail on the guns ( that are not visible on the original ) When I look at these pictures eg the Longues battery I remember that it was a miserable day,so all I have changed is he picture not the memory.  

forgot about this one, Tuesday morning i had to do an airport run, take my mom to cologne / bonn airport

i drove to the front door and dropped her off without having to pay a penny....it was like a blast from the past, there was a barrier control to let you in and out but no additional post 9/11 security and then also no piss take money making from that security

compare that to the £25 my mom had to pay to drop me off at stansted (cos her fella was stupid enough to run in for a piss)

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

forgot about this one, Tuesday morning i had to do an airport run, take my mom to cologne / bonn airport

i drove to the front door and dropped her off without having to pay a penny....it was like a blast from the past, there was a barrier control to let you in and out but no additional post 9/11 security and then also no piss take money making from that security

compare that to the £25 my mom had to pay to drop me off at stansted (cos her fella was stupid enough to run in for a piss)

I picked the wife up from Birmingham a couple of years back. She text to say she was almost through security so I headed into the short stay. She got a bit stuck so I had to wait about 15-20 mins. I ended up having to pay £25… it would have been cheaper to pay for a taxi to bring her home.

• Like 1

i've pulled over outside brum airport for the same reason and it took all of 5 minutes for the police to turn up and ask what i was doing

working there i found a decent spot, go to the train station and outside the front door there is a taxi / disabled parking / disabled drop off area which usually has no one in there, pull up there and you should be ok, its also the best place for a drop off, the monorail is free

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i've pulled over outside brum airport for the same reason and it took all of 5 minutes for the police to turn up and ask what i was doing

working there i found a decent spot, go to the train station and outside the front door there is a taxi / disabled parking / disabled drop off area which usually has no one in there, pull up there and you should be ok, its also the best place for a drop off, the monorail is free

Yeah, that is the way to do it.  Takes less time to ride the monorail that it does to walk from the "free" parking spots a mile from the terminal.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I picked the wife up from Birmingham a couple of years back. She text to say she was almost through security so I headed into the short stay. She got a bit stuck so I had to wait about 15-20 mins. I ended up having to pay £25… it would have been cheaper to pay for a taxi to bring her home.

No it wouldn't, Taxis generally have to pay the same price to pickup as the car parking charge

1 minute ago, bickster said:

No it wouldn't, Taxis generally have to pay the same price to pickup as the car parking charge

Taxi driver probably would have waited until she was actually in the car park before heading in (same as i would be from now on!) It’s £25 each way from ours to BHX. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Taxi driver probably would have waited until she was actually in the car park before heading in (same as i would be from now on!) It’s £25 each way from ours to BHX. 

Well, yes quite but that appears to be you avoiding saying that you were premature :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Well, yes quite but that appears to be you avoiding saying that you were premature :mrgreen:

Haha true. 
I think it was something like £1 for 10 minutes to make money of people doing quick drop offs and pick ups. I didn’t realise after that initial window the tariff would rocket upwards. Lesson learned!

Flew back from Greece one night, in to BHX and my daughter was going to pick me up. As I worked on Birmingham Business Park I provided her with very detailed directions to pick me up from Birmingham International Train Station. I called her and she said she was 10 minutes away. 30 minutes later she says where are you, I say the taxi pull in, she says I can't see you, 5 minutes of describing each others location I realise she hadn't even looked at the directions and had driven to New Street. **** idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Haha true. 
I think it was something like £1 for 10 minutes to make money of people doing quick drop offs and pick ups. I didn’t realise after that initial window the tariff would rocket upwards. Lesson learned!

There's no such thing as a quick pick up at Manchester Airport. There is a drop off area in front of each terminal. The prices are...

• £5 - Under 5 mins
  • £6 - Under 10 mins
  • £25 over 10 mins

(To be fair, there is a free drop off area miles away from the airport where you can get free bus every 20 mins that will take a further 20 mins to go around all the terminals - unsurprisingly, no one uses this service, which was the airports complete intention when starting it)

To pick up its...

• £6 - up to 30 mins
  • £12 - up to an hour
  • £20 - between an hour and 2 hours
  • £30 - over 2 hours
  • in every increasing circles upwards

Liverpool Airport is simpler, it's £4 for ten minutes and after that it's OUCH. Pick up or drop off

There's a free pick up and drop off area at Liverpool too, it's a 3/4 mile uncovered walk and there's no shuttle, Taxis theoretically can use it though not practically as it has ANPR and you are only allowed to go in once a day for free and after that, the prices are DOUBLE OUCH

Airports make their money from car parking, the facility itself is usually a loss leader

• Like 3

Fortunately our local airport (LBA) is only a 5-10 min shuttle bus ride away from our house. 

(And yet, thanks to local topography and the arrangement of flight paths, we get zero aircraft noise). 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Fortunately our local airport (LBA) is only a 5-10 min shuttle bus ride away from our house. 

(And yet, thanks to local topography and the arrangement of flight paths, we get zero aircraft noise). 

We’re lucky as we’re  20 mins north of Birmingham and 20 mins south of East Midlands, and yet get no flight noise either. 

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’re lucky as we’re  20 mins north of Birmingham and 20 mins south of East Midlands, and yet get no flight noise either. 

Very jealous of both you and mooney. Living a couple of miles shy of the southern runway at LHR and directly under the flightpath, I've had to get used to the noise.

I say "get used to" but even after 10 years here, I'm still regularly awakened by the early morning arrivals. 

• Sad 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â