Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Queen were a great band. Mercury was one of the greats, if not king of them all. Very good rhythm section, and Brian May is a brilliant guitarist. They just never did it for me personally. Mercury doesn't even come into the frame as my favourite vocalist. Infact there was and is something very irritating about Queen, but as I said they were a great set of musicians which formed a very good band. 

Often held up as the greatest rock 'n' roll performance ever. Maybe because so many other great artists crashed and burned that day (no sound checks, bad on stage monitors.) 

I know a lot of VT'ers who are into their music dislike and even despise Queen but pretty much every artist who was there that day said that they stole the show. Their music does lend itself to stadium rock and Freddie is, and was, well, quite flamboyant :)

RIP Freddie.

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

1 John Lennon( shot dead)

2 Bon Scott (Alcohol)

3 Freddie Mercury(AIDS)

4 Kurt Cobain (Suicide)

5 Jim Morrison (Heart Failure/Drugs)

6 Ronnie James Dio (Cancer)

7 Randy Rhodes (Plane Crash)

8 David Bowie (Cancer)

9 Phil Lynott (Pneumonia/Drugs)

10 Prince (Drugs)

11 Jimi Hendrix (Drink/Drugs)

12 Lemmy (Cancer)

I think that’s correct. 

Could have sworn one of them was Mick Shrimpton...

How good is Amazon's customer service!

Ordered something from their "warehouse" in May for my boys birthday which is later this week. Got it out last night to find that there was a bit of a fault with it, I was nervous as Warehouse items only officially have 30 day warranty.

I went onto live chat and mentioned my purchase was faulty. The guy couldn't do enough, no mention of being out of warranty. He immediately issued a refund there and then. He also generated a pre-paid label to return it within the next 30 days. Also put a £3 credit on my account as a goodwill gesture. Amazing.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

How good is Amazon's customer service!

Ordered something from their "warehouse" in May for my boys birthday which is later this week. Got it out last night to find that there was a bit of a fault with it, I was nervous as Warehouse items only officially have 30 day warranty.

I went onto live chat and mentioned my purchase was faulty. The guy couldn't do enough, no mention of being out of warranty. He immediately issued a refund there and then. He also generated a pre-paid label to return it within the next 30 days. Also put a £3 credit on my account as a goodwill gesture. Amazing.

It's just a shame they treat their employees like slaves innit? 

But I use Amazon, sooooo... yea nice one! 

On 06/08/2018 at 04:43, TheAuthority said:

Often held up as the greatest rock 'n' roll performance ever. Maybe because so many other great artists crashed and burned that day (no sound checks, bad on stage monitors.) 

I know a lot of VT'ers who are into their music dislike and even despise Queen but pretty much every artist who was there that day said that they stole the show. Their music does lend itself to stadium rock and Freddie is, and was, well, quite flamboyant :)

RIP Freddie.

I think you’ll find that the Jimi Hendrix Experience performance at The Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 was the greatest rock ‘n’ roll performance ever ?. The Experience stole the show from The Who, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, The Greatful Dead, The Animals, Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds and The Mamas and Papas. If time travel was possible, this is where I’d go...

• Like 3

Just now, villa_chemist said:

I think you’ll find that the Jimi Hendrix Experience performance at The Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 was the greatest rock ‘n’ roll performance? ever

I didn't say that Queen's was.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villa_chemist said:

I think you’ll find that the Jimi Hendrix Experience performance at The Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 was the greatest rock ‘n’ roll performance ever ?. The Experience stole the show from The Who, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, The Greatful Dead, The Animals, Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds and The Mamas and Papas. If time travel was possible, this is where I’d go...

The genius of Hendrix was that he was an even better rhythm player.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

@maqroll Where is it? I'm in Tanglewood all week.

ooh, nice place to be. I'm up in Portland, ME. About a 4 hour drive from you. The city was just awarded "Best Food City in America" by Bon Appetite magazine so everyone is flexing up here : )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Finally opening my cafe/wine store tomorrow. Only problem is I have to get up at 5:30am. Lord have mercy.

very very very very very best of all lucks

not that luck will have much to do with it, but you know what I mean

We'll need photos eventually when you're all straight n settled

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, villa_chemist said:

I think you’ll find that the Jimi Hendrix Experience performance at The Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 was the greatest rock ‘n’ roll performance ever 

Ah, I see you weren't at the Super Furry Animals gig at the Indoor Farmers' Market, Brecon Jazz Festival, 2004.

Seminal.

Seminal everywhere.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

The genius of Hendrix was that he was an even better rhythm player.

Definitely! Rhythm>>lead.

His version of Killing Floor from the same gig is devestatingly good. He played it when he asked to jam with Eric Clapton on stage when he first came to England. Clapton just stood there shaking apparently as he found the song too difficult to play live.

https://www.veojam.com/watch/1284771777

Edited by villa_chemist
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bentro said:

Something that cheered me was signing into this forum and seeing that Paddy posted here. We went to school together, and I remember a few of us from school hanging out in the cabin at the end of his garden, playing pool, drinking beers and listening to music (we were so cool...). I was looking through the Hall of Fame and it was really great reading the posts about him and seeing how well his was liked on these forums.

Never knew him but its a great thread. 

Edited by Seat68

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â