Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I had a whole thing written out here and ready to post, but then I read it and said to myself, "What a load of shit", and deleted whatever the **** I was trying to say, lol

I don't do that about ... oh ... 35 times a day. Nope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

David Wright shirt sighting! And a Twins cap. That's the more weird thing about US sports - you'd rarely ever see other teams Premier League tops in the home end!

True, baseball fans wait to shoot you in the parking lot after the game.

But by and large we're a well behaved lot. On weekend day games, it's like Elementary School, all families and tourists and whatnot. I love night games in the summer. So much fun, especially if it's a close game. And hot women all over the place.

You guys would crush it just by speaking with an English accent. You could say "I wipe my arse with my bare hands", and you'd still get laid.

And I know some of you DO wipe that way, it's all documented in the "How Do You Wipe Yer Arse?" thread.

You charmers...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I do really need to go to Fenway (and Gillette if it's even possible to get affordable tickets?) at some point.

Come see the Revolution. You can watch mediocre football in a giant stadium that's mostly empty. Pats tickets will cost you. 

A Red Sox outing is much more doable because Fenway is right in the city and Gillette is about a 30 minute drive south of the city. The Red Sox play 81 homes games to the Patriots 8, and the Patriots play in autumn and winter, when you don't want to be here. 

Let me know if you ever really go, it would be a good laugh to meet you. Maybe we can rope a few other VT guys into it too. Can you rule out a Mets-Red Sox World Series right now? 

That would be amazing, because Boston is still shellshocked from 1986. 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Fenway_Park_2009.jpg

Fenway Park. I spent a lot of time there as a young kid, it was a different place back then. Mostly men, lots of them drunk. I was fascinated by the old timers sitting in the grandstand, smoking their cigars and listening to the broadcast of the game on their transistor radios, while keeping a scorecard. Great smells sounds and sights that are long gone now. It's more beautiful now, and safer, but I really miss those old days. If you ever go to Boston, go to a game, it's a special place. Go there before they tear it down.

Symphony Hall is just a few blocks from the ballpark, but when I look at this picture I think that it's a picture of pure culture, and a more relevant culture than stuffy old classical music. I like classical music too, but I've never been to Symphony Hall. It never seemed like a place to have real fun. But Fenway was a **** playground, especially when I was a teenager, smoking weed in the concourse and abusing the visiting players (if we had close enough seats). It's a museum now, it must be something like how old time Man United fans view Old Trafford. It's no longer "ours", if you get what I'm saying. It's like the secret is out. In fact it's been out for a while.

34 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What's all that about, then?

Page 2419 of the piss you off thread i get angry at the uk honours system. 

Edited by Seat68

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Page 2419 of the piss you off thread i get angry at the uk honours system. 

Sorry for being totally ignorant, but what is the UK honors system?

52 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Symphony Hall is just a few blocks from the ballpark, but when I look at this picture I think that it's a picture of pure culture, and a more relevant culture than stuffy old classical music.

Boston's Orchestra is possibly more famous for not doing classical music :)

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

Boston's Orchestra is possibly more famous for not doing classical music :)

Full marks for succeeding in being a smug musical elitist, but you are confusing the Boston Pops with The Boston Symphony Orchestra:

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Full marks for succeeding in being a smug musical elitist, but you are confusing the Boston Pops with The Boston Symphony Orchestra:

They're one and the same orchestra, minus a couple of the firsts and having separate conductors.

• Like 1

The BSO and the Pops are separate entities with completely different purposes. The Pops played POP songs as a way to promote their main thing which was their real orchestra, which is known the world over. That said, I've never even **** been there so they may as well be clubbing seals to death in there.

I think I've posted the James Taylor song "Angels of Fenway" here before. Pehaps an American equivalent to Roy Harper's "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease". 

Come see the Revolution. You can watch mediocre football in a giant stadium that's mostly empty. Pats tickets will cost you. 

A Red Sox outing is much more doable because Fenway is right in the city and Gillette is about a 30 minute drive south of the city. The Red Sox play 81 homes games to the Patriots 8, and the Patriots play in autumn and winter, when you don't want to be here. 

Let me know if you ever really go, it would be a good laugh to meet you. Maybe we can rope a few other VT guys into it too. Can you rule out a Mets-Red Sox World Series right now? 

That would be amazing, because Boston is still shellshocked from 1986. 

About a 50% chance I'll be able to make my friends wedding in NY, which I believe is next June. Will be about a week or so, so I'll definitely have a spare day or so to get to Boston if that's the case. Fenay and Wrigley are the two iconic ones I'd like to cross off.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â