Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Catching out an absolute bullshitter.

There's a guy at work who claims he used to be a doctor and that he owns houses in Dubai, Florida and several in the UK. I find it strange considering he's on the same wage as me now and hasn't been to these places in the two years he's worked here.

He was showing a girl at work, pictures of himself at one of his huge houses. Afterwards she told us that she recognised the house and apparantly it's quite a famous wedding venue in London.

Just after he was a doctor, he started working at Selfridges and the Queen popped in one day and he sold her a DAB radio. Casual, like.

Last year he was claiming that the daughter of Lakshmi Mittal (the chairman of CEO of ArcelorMittal who has an estimated networth of US$12.6 billion) kept phoning him and was begging for him to marry her. It was strange though, because after I googled it, she's already married.

Well he's been off work sick recently and our team leader had to send something to his house today. We were led to believe he lives in Four Oaks, but when she text him asking for his address, turns out he lives in Handsworth. "But he's temporarily based at one of his dad's other homes at the moment." 

Love it when that prick gets caught out. Snob.

• Like 3

There's a guy at work who claims he used to be a doctor and that he owns houses in Dubai, Florida and several in the UK. I find it strange considering he's on the same wage as me now and hasn't been to these places in the two years he's worked here.

He was showing a girl at work, pictures of himself at one of his huge houses. Afterwards she told us that she recognised the house and apparantly it's quite a famous wedding venue in London.

Just after he was a doctor, he started working at Selfridges and the Queen popped in one day and he sold her a DAB radio. Casual, like.

Last year he was claiming that the daughter of Lakshmi Mittal (the chairman of CEO of ArcelorMittal who has an estimated networth of US$12.6 billion) kept phoning him and was begging for him to marry her. It was strange though, because after I googled it, she's already married.

Well he's been off work sick recently and our team leader had to send something to his house today. We were led to believe he lives in Four Oaks, but when she text him asking for his address, turns out he lives in Handsworth. "But he's temporarily based at one of his dad's other homes at the moment." 

kennysnr.jpg

• Like 1

I have a theory about that kind of person.

I think it's like an addiction. An addiction to lying.

It starts off harmless put everytime they lie they push it that little bit more so that eventually the lies just become ridiculous.

But because they've gone bit by bit, in their head it's fine. It doesn't feel like a ridiculous lie because they've got to that point gradually.

But when you're hearing those lies they appear, understandably, absolutely crazy.

I have one "friend" like that. Not really a friend anymore. First time I met him he asked me where my girlfriend ranked on FHM's top 100 sexiest women list, because his was 19th (which I think was actually Rachel Stevens at the time).

And I met him on a night out once and he claimed he'd drunk 50 pints and pulled 200 women before I arrived. It was about 10:30

• Like 2

I used to work with a woman like that. Knowing that both myself and a different female colleague were club runners, she used to claim seriously impressive race times, and even that she had won races. When we checked up, she hadn't even entered most of them, and those that she had, she'd finished with respectable enough times, but nothing like what she claimed. Apparently she used to tell similar whoppers when she worked in other departments. No idea why she did it, when it was so easy to get found out.

• Like 1

I don't know what it is. I always assume it's just them wanting to sound more impressive than they actually are just to get people to like them or something.

Which is odd, because I think most people are attracted to modest people who can take the piss out of themselves. Personally it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if this guy was living in Four Oaks or in Handsworth.

Edited by Paddywhack

Ah yes, I have an old mate who is billy bullsh**er. He was the same back in school but is worse than ever now. I hadn't seen him for about 10 years but had on FB. He came round to do some plumbing a couple of years back and his bull was in overdrive.

I hadn't mentioned anything about this to the wife and even she said he was full of $hit.

He's a bluenose (explains a lot). For the last 3 years he's been saying that this is the first season in 20 years he's given up his season ticket. He certainly never had one when we were friends in school. He often talks about his 18/20 hour working day but then seems to spend most of his week fishing according to FB. 

I remember him telling us about how when he hooked up with his GF her previous BF had left her with thousands of debt and on the verge of having the house repossessed by the mortage company. He came in and settled all the debts and now has nearly paid all the mortgage off. He posted a picture on FB of a house he was going to look at to buy... and then someone posted a link to it being recently sold already... He was outed as going to look to rent the place, moving from the rented house he lives in currently with his GF.

He has such a reputation of being a liar nobody challenges him any more. They just smile and agree so he does it all the more.

People bullshitting about how busy they are is a special pet hate of mine.

Even if they're not bullshitting and they really are that busy. Nobody cares how busy you are.

People bullshitting about how busy they are is a special pet hate of mine.

Even if they're not bullshitting and they really are that busy. Nobody cares how busy you are.

Sorry mate didn't see it, I've got 600 unread emails at the minute....

• Like 4

Genuine lol moment when I read the bit about the DAB radio!  :D

• Like 1

I was best mates with someone like that at school. I think compulsive lying is an actual mental problem. My mate was saying that he was brilliant at tennis and that he was playing junior Wimbledon before school or something daft. Needless to say we played one summer and he could barely hit the ball. Also that he beat Mark Lewis-Francis in the 100m junior heats. But there was all sorts of minor shit that you have no need to lie about, it's almost as if they have to lie. It really is a kind of addiction.

Sure I've mentioned this before, but I worked with a compulsive liar years ago.

There's two I always remember. The first is that he claimed to have written the original film script for Underworld -- and since I know more than the average person about writing and selling scripts as it's an ambition of mine to do just that, I caught him out in multiple places in his bullshit story -- but they stole his idea.

The other one is my favourite. He claims that he went to a Slipknot gig in Birmingham years ago and after the gig he explored around the venue and saw the band in an alleyway nearby. He apparently went up to them and was amicable, but they turned on him and got aggressive. However, despite the fact that there are a bunch of them and they're all no doubt bigger than he is as he is very sleight and about 5'7" and not threatening in the slightest, they all backed down to his toughness and said they didn't want to fight him as they were certain to lose.

He was an absolute mad man. I wish I could remember the rest because there were some absolute corkers.

Edited by Ginko

A very good friend of mine, is prone to telling the odd wopper. They're all normally pretty harmless, so I've never felt the need to pick him up on them. I think there may be something in the mental illness theory. I'm pretty sure he has a mild form of Autism, as his son was diagnosed with it when he was very young. 

I went to school with one of this compulsive liars you talk about. I can remember one night that he actually got his mum into his lies, we were at his parents house and we all knew that they both just lied.

After school I never hang out with him but this topic disturb me cause about 10 years on he committed suicide. Was it something in this liar personality that made him more prone to suicide? 

He worked as a paramedic so it was probably more that...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â