Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

ritke.jpg

first courgette of the year

'Ere, Ted, for an update: I picked and consumed my first couple of courgettes on the weekend and very decent they were, too. A little bit more 'perfumed' than shop bought ones.

Beetroot coming on a treat as are carrots and spring onions.

Do you do owt with the spent flowers other than on the compost? Don't some people suggest frying them?

Courgette flowers - Raymond Blanc is yer man for that.

Courgettes en Fleur Farcies, Jus de Cardamome et Graines de Cumin

Cut flowers away from the courgette at the base, open up and wash, blanch for 5 seconds, refresh, drain.

Stuff with crab meat (mixed white and brown but mostly white, salt & pepper, maybe some ginger, chilli or herbs added).  Not too full, it needs to stay together.  Twist the top to keep the filling in.

Sweat a shallot and diced tomato in a little butter, add white wine, reduce, add ground cardamom and cumin (I see the recipe says cumin in the title and caraway in the recipe - they are related - I'd go with cumin).  Add a little brown crab meat, a spoonful.  Simmer for a minute or two, strain, push through sieve into a small pan.  Heat, whisk in a little cream and butter, season, add cayenne if you like.

Pan-fry stuffed flowers in olive oil on medium heat for 2 mins each side.  Pour sauce over.

NB this is an accompaniment only.  You've still got to cook the **** meal.

yes you can fry off courgette flowers tempura style, bit of a faff

around here we have camponella (campanula) growing wild out of just about every wall

PL0000000659_card2_lg.jpg

perfectly edible flowers very colourful sprinkled over the top of a salad

This more than cheers me up - I go travelling round Europe today for just under 4 weeks with 3 of my best mates. Gonna be focking great. 

Interrail?  Awesome time, I envy you.

We didn't get a pass in the end, just got separate train tickets because it worked out cheaper!

....and news hot off the press...

a bit of courgette thinly sliced (use a peeler or grater), flash fried in olive oil, mixed with pesto and poured over some tagliatlli

veh veh niiice, just came home to that served up as I walked through the door.

how she knew I was coming home I have no idea! what a woman!

apparently I mustn't go upstairs?

• Like 1

ordered a new phone yesterday evening

got a text within 30 mins saying it was despatched

got a text this morning 7:00am saying it would be delivered today

got a text at 9:00am saying it would be delivered between 11:00am and 11:45am

it arrived at 11:15am

that's quite impressive

ordered a new phone yesterday evening

got a text within 30 mins saying it was despatched

got a text this morning 7:00am saying it would be delivered today

got a text at 9:00am saying it would be delivered between 11:00am and 11:45am

it arrived at 11:15am

that's quite impressive

would have been even more impressive if you'd had the phone and received the texts  .....

They went around the track in it yeah, but those stickers tend to be on suped-up or special edition cars or else bought after-market by 'enthusiastic' drivers for their own banger. This guy was probably the latter given it was a van. I wouldn't be hiring him.

I saw one of those stickers on the back of some average banger that made me chuckle. It was the usual track outline, but the text actually said 'never been'

quite humorous for a spotty scrawny piston head

We're doing up a banger at the moment to set off for Wexford like a pack of eejits in 2 weeks. One of the modifications is a hand-painted track with 'Mondello' written under it in the Nurburgring style. "Nailed it" I believe is the term :P

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â