Barry Bannan

villianusa

Can you please prove where Con got "slaughtered"?

Can you please prove where anyone is fanatically backing Lambert?

It is quite damning that your strongest argument for playing Bannan is because he starts games rather than anything good from what he delivers in those games. Perhaps if Bannan gave a little bit more in the games he plays your argument wouldn't be quite so pathetic.

Plus he is subbed every single game, whether they are winning, losing or drawing. For this to happen Pulis must see him as the weakest link.

Not really. It is called protecting the lead. Unlike Lambert, Pulis realises he isn't a defensive player.

As I said, whether they are winning losing or drawing he comes off. In fact when they played Newcastle if I remember correctly he came off at half time when they were 2-0 down. It seems odd that you would take off your match winner and most creative player when you are chasing the game... either that, or he isn't a match winner or creative player.

You would do well to not bring Lambert up in your argument as it only significantly weakens it. It only shows you are acting out of emotion rather than sense and reason.

Stop letting facts get in the way of an unnecessary dig at Lambert.

Can you please prove where Con got "slaughtered"?

Can you please prove where anyone is fanatically backing Lambert?

It is quite damning that your strongest argument for playing Bannan is because he starts games rather than anything good from what he delivers in those games. Perhaps if Bannan gave a little bit more in the games he plays your argument wouldn't be quite so pathetic.

Whether you rate him or not my original point was it was a bit silly Lambert selling him without getting another CM in. Its an area of the pitch we have been weak for some time. Bannan is no world beater but he has more talent than some of Lambert's signings. And i do think he has contributed to Palace's improved form. He's not the star man and never will be and maybe after the January window he won't figure as much.

Bannan had an excellent game against Man City.

3 key passes, pass accuracy 90% (highest I've seen it for him), 2/3 accurate crosses.  As MOTD showed, Palace really should have scored from at least one of those key passes.

Against us, Bannan hit the post. He had a shot cleared brilliantly off the line against another team earlier this season and last season had a shot off the post against Reading. Add that to his goal against Hull, he could be on 4 goals for the year.

If you think about all the goal-scoring chances that players on his team are passing up even when delivered on a plate, it will just take a little swing of fortune in his direction and suddenly his statistics will look world class.

I was worried about Pulis bringing Bannan off at half-time against Newcastle and another game, but it was pleasing that he kept him on for longer against Man City. Bannan should be useful for Pulis team because he has great delivery. Just like Rory Delap but with a left foot.

He'd walk into our shit team.

Lambert not fancying him is no longer a valid argument after the dirt he purchased in the summer. 

Bannan has been pivotal to CP's revival. 

These are the facts.

fact
fakt/
noun

1. 1.
    a thing that is known or proved to be true.
    "the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas"
    synonyms: realityactualitycertainty, factuality, certitudeMore

• Like 2

Bannan or KEA as our most advanced midfielder?

Hmm, that is a tough one...not.

Oh but I forgot, playing as a deep-lying player is Bannan's best position because Lambert played him there.

Edited by Isa

Bannan had an excellent game against Man City.

3 key passes, pass accuracy 90% (highest I've seen it for him), 2/3 accurate crosses.  As MOTD showed, Palace really should have scored from at least one of those key passes.

Against us, Bannan hit the post. He had a shot cleared brilliantly off the line against another team earlier this season and last season had a shot off the post against Reading. Add that to his goal against Hull, he could be on 4 goals for the year.

If you think about all the goal-scoring chances that players on his team are passing up even when delivered on a plate, it will just take a little swing of fortune in his direction and suddenly his statistics will look world class.

I was worried about Pulis bringing Bannan off at half-time against Newcastle and another game, but it was pleasing that he kept him on for longer against Man City. Bannan should be useful for Pulis team because he has great delivery. Just like Rory Delap but with a left foot.

Same shit different season. Last season it was a statistical anomaly as to why he hadn't got more assists and goals. This season you are going down the same route.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if he was able to hit a ball into an empty net from 6 yards out so that Reading chance went in the net, and he was able to cross a ball without floating it straight into the goalkeepers arms he would have actually contributed more goals and assists. But he doesn't and he hasn't.

Oh but I forgot, playing as a deep-lying player is Bannan's best position because Lambert played him there.

So did McLeish and Houllier. So pretty much every manager he's had has played him there. Not sure why you're singling out Lambert but okay.

So did McLeish and Houllier. So pretty much every manager he's had has played him there. Not sure why you're singling out Lambert but okay.

He generally played around the halfway line under Houllier and was mainly pushed wide under McLeish.

But hey, if you want to play the selective memory game, that is fine by me...

He generally played around the halfway line under Houllier and was mainly pushed wide under McLeish.

But hey, if you want to play the selective memory game, that is fine by me...

Isn't that where a deep-lying midfielder usually plays? He was played in the centre of midfield as much as he was used out wide so that's a moot point. Nobody's denying he played out wide or in other positions, but he's been played as a deep-lying playmaker for most of his career and not just under Lambert as you make out.

No because other then a few games when we played that diamond formation, Bannan was played much deeper under Lambert then he was under Houllier. Under Houllier he was generally stationed around the centre of the pitch in a sort of roaming role. Finding space, linking play and covering quite a bit of ground. The big difference was that he had a genuine DM in Reo-Coker behind him which gave him the freedom to do this.

Under Lambert he played a very static role. Where he was expected to provide lots of the creativity from such a deep-role almost as a regista which very few players in the world can actually do. On top of that, there was lots of defensive onus on him despite him not being a defensive player and it's not exactly like he could rely on Westwood to watch his back on that front.

Shit under O'Neill.

Shit under Houllier.

Shit under McAllister.

Shit under McLeish.

Shit under Lambert.

Shit under Levein.

Shit under Strachan.

Shit under Holloway.

Shit under Pulis. **

Sometimes the problem isn't the blade of grass a player is asked to stomp on, it is shitness.

** Hit the ball into an empty net from 5 yards out and also once hit a post from a shot. For some people this constitutes world class acts, man of the match accolades and evidence of an amazing player. For people who are interested in 90 minutes of football and not 5 second clips it is slightly more significant than insignificant.

Oh, you've watched the full 90 minutes of all of Crystal Palace's games this season have you?

What a load of pretentious nonsense.

I can guarantee I've watched a hell of a lot more than 99.9% on this board. Crystal Palace are my local team, I live within 3 miles of their stadium, I work within 2 miles of their stadium, I get free tickets through work occasionally, they are in the local news, they are supported by a lot of my friends, I discuss them a lot. I am in a much better position to pass judgement than most others who watch the 30 second clips on MotD.

• Like 1