Barry Bannan

villianusa

Pele esq today.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. He had one successful dribble, no shots on target out of 4.

Pulis is very straight-forward. Got the best crosser in the Premier League? Make him cross. Lots.

Bannan got 15 crosses in today, more than the rest of the team, over twice as many crosses he had in the last match against West Ham.

Only 4 of them were accurate, which considering his average was 40% is bad for him. But most good crosser are between 20-30% accurate.

If he's encouraged to cross at every opportunity his average might go down because Pulis likes to stick it in there for the pin-ball action, as much as for a quality key pass.

Cross - An attempted/accurate pass from a wide position to a central attacking area

Above taken from whoscored.com

Doesn't such a basic description, and clearly one which doesn't offer too much insight into a players ability, make you think that Bannan's one stat which you can find which isn't awful really isn't that relevant to the outcome of a football match or even as to whether he is a good crosser? (2 assists in the PL in 80 odd matches!!)

If I were you I'd be embarrassed to stake my reputation on such a flimsy foundation.

Go to a match Con and look at the players with your own eyes because for all the effort that you put in to looking at stats is quite simply an utter waste of time.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Looks like he could keep Palace up like he kept us up last season. 

:lol:

Bannan starts most of the first 18 games last season and at which time we were relegation fodder. Bannan gets dropped we go on the best run of the season and survive.

Bannan leaves the club and within the first 14 games we win 5 games... it took us until after Bannan was dropped, and 25 games into the season last season, to win 5 games.

Yes, Bannan kept us up.

:crylaugh:

• Like 1

I assumed this was a joke?

Sadly not.

Maybe people will wake up and smell the coffee now.

FT:

Hull 0-1 Crystal Palace - Barry Bannan (81 mins)

Great awareness in finding the space tbf and did well to finish being under pressure from the Hull defender.

Well done Bazza. We miss you.

Was a cracking shot tbf. I really wanted Palace to stay up I like their partisan fans and maybe due to the Bannan association as well. They must be gutted at landing Pulis though.

Do the Palace fans rate Barry?

Bannan starts most of the first 18 games last season and at which time we were relegation fodder. Bannan gets dropped we go on the best run of the season and survive.

Bannan leaves the club and within the first 14 games we win 5 games... it took us until after Bannan was dropped, and 25 games into the season last season, to win 5 games.

Yes, Bannan kept us up.

What you fail to mention is Bannan played his part in our strong run of form - he helped kick-start the real purple patch - Stoke and Sunderland - starting the wins over QPR and Reading.

It amazes me how you blank those initial games out, as if he didn't play them. Those were an important 6 points.

Question Con.

When Villa play Barry this year, who will you be rooting for?

Villa obviously. Even the best players are allowed a day off sometimes. It would show how important he was to the team if we kept him quiet.

Question Con.

When Villa play Barry this year, who will you be rooting for?

Villa obviously. Even the best players are allowed a day off sometimes. It would show how important he was to the team if we kept him quiet.

I take it you're not referring to Bannan there.

Yes, Bannan kept us up.

What you fail to mention is Bannan played his part in our strong run of form - he helped kick-start the real purple patch - Stoke and Sunderland - starting the wins over QPR and Reading.

It amazes me how you blank those initial games out, as if he didn't play them. Those were an important 6 points.

I was at the games against QPR and Reading. He was by far the worst player on the pitch. We won these games DESPITE him playing NOT BECAUSE he played (your favorite site all back this up also). Were you at the games? Nope.

I don't want any player getting 15 crosses in when we play Palace. That's a bludgeoning.

Yes, those 0 assists from all those longs balls into Guzans hands will obliterate us.

He didn't get 0 assists last season. I don't know how you can continue to sneer at me when you get the basic facts wrong, again and again. You repeat your lies again and again. Bannan didn't get zero assists last season and he was very much involved in the win streak we had. How much more wrong can you get?

Bannan looked in great form on MOTD.  That touch pass with the outside of his left foot was class.

Of course, you're going to tell me "he always looks good on MOTD, you have to be there."

Maybe you should consider he does 95% rubbish, but the 5% he does brilliantly is what separates him from other players?

Not 0. 1. 1 assist, for club and country in 32 appearances last year.

That's the same number of assists (and goals, for that matter) as Enda Stevens.

Edited by Davkaus

He didn't get 0 assists last season. I don't know how you can continue to sneer at me when you get the basic facts wrong, again and again. You repeat your lies again and again. Bannan didn't get zero assists last season and he was very much involved in the win streak we had. How much more wrong can you get?

Bannan looked in great form on MOTD.  That touch pass with the outside of his left foot was class.

Of course, you're going to tell me "he always looks good on MOTD, you have to be there."

Maybe you should consider he does 95% rubbish, but the 5% he does brilliantly is what separates him from other players?

First off, AM82 didn't say he got 0 assists, he said that when we play Palace he will get no assists and his crosses will just float into Guzan's hands.

Considering the main criticism of Bannan (or at least my main criticism) is something that you don't see when viewing highlights, then yes you do have to be at the game rather than just watch MOTD. Bannan is a MOTD player as they show HIGHlights, i.e. when players do something good, they don't show the 30 yard missed passes or the poor tracking back or poor tackling, unless they lead to a contentious decision or a chance/goal. To judge any players form based on MOTD is misguided.

And frankly, if only 5% of a players game is good, no matter how brilliant, he's not a very good player.

All I know is Crystal Palace were doing badly, started to play Bannan, started winning. Scotland were doing badly, started to play Bannan, started winning. Villa were doing badly all season, whenever we played Bannan we did better.

And all this is coincidence?